Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mods vs Warranty - What did you do to void your warranty?

Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods vs Warranty - What did you do to void your warranty?

Hi Evo owners Iam an ex dsm'r from a long time ago, BR this forum sponser might actually remember me.

Anyway...

What mods from simple to extreme have you done and mistu voided the warranty? Please just write back what they found. I am thinking about the only thing I can get away with is a drop in KN.

Thanks Mod
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:35 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

I walked into the dealership and sneezed. That was it, warranty gone right there. Seriously, my warranty is apparently void for the following reasons:

After market air filter
After market booster gauge

I believe the second item is actually referring to the Autometer boost gauge. Makes you confident in Mitsubishi techs when they don't even know what a boost gauge is.

Now, neither of those can void my warranty and, should an issue arise, I should be able to fight them relatively easily regarding that. Haven't needed to yet though.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

UFO, I hope you're kidding?!? They didn't really give you crap about a boost gauge did they? I thought there was some stipulation that if you install things that improve the quality and longevity of the car that it would not void warranty.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. If you were joking that is. Otherwize that is crazy.

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

exhaust that what killed mine, they didnt care about the boost controller lol
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:44 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by siantjab
UFO, I hope you're kidding?!? They didn't really give you crap about a boost gauge did they? I thought there was some stipulation that if you install things that improve the quality and longevity of the car that it would not void warranty.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. If you were joking that is. Otherwize that is crazy.

Thanks!
Nope, deadly serious. I put the car in for a problem with the rear and the passenger seat rattling. Unfortunately, on the way to the dealership one of my intercooler pipes blew off and I didn't have a 10mm on me to tighten the hose clamp back up so I asked them to put it back for me. On the paper work it said that I would be charged labour for reconnecting the hose because engine work wouldn't be warrantied for the previously posted reasons. However, they never charged me a penny so I didn't bother arguing it. Oh, they missed the boost controller too .
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

I put the key in the ignition when I first bought it and they cut mine ... Well any mod you do to the car can void the warrenty if the problem is releated the item installed by you. Say you put on an intake and the alternator goes out. There is know way they can justify that the intake was the reason the alternator went bad. But if your engine blew due to lean conditions then they could say you are screwed. They cannot just void your warrentee without valid reasoning.

Dan
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:56 AM

A boost gauge and aftermarket filter are bull reasons to "cancel" your warantee. I mean, seriously, we installed a CAI and Exhaust on a new Eclipse--so what they're on is I think a very very fine grade of crack.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 01:09 PM

OMG,

I understand that mistu has been well educated over the years but that just BS.

A boost gauge is nothing more than a informational gauge, it has nothing to do with raising the boost. While were at it just take away the mph and rpm's gauge, who needs those anyway if you see your doing 140+ then you must be braking the engine and voiding the warranty.

After market air filter well this one could go either way. If its a replacment for the stock box, well they can do that. But if its a drop in KN its just a replacement part # for a stock mistu part. using the exact hardware.

O well... I guess just because i owned a dsm maybe they will void my warrananty on my past life.

Mod
Old Apr 14, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Depending on your dealer you may need to fight for almost ANY warranty work. Even completly stock cars hare having coverage issues.

My car is flagged in Mitsubishi's database. I found out when the district manager for my area called my cell phone at work and tried to tell me that my cars' warranty was completely voided. The car was at a body shop and the shop needed to have the ECU reset. Thebody shop tech threw a SES light during the check ride. When they reset the ECU they spotted my piggy back.

The short of it is the guy said "No warranty" and I replied "Magnason-Moss Act". After that it was "Any warranty work MUST be pre-approved by him personally, and the car WILL be tagged in the database". A few more questions revealed that he had givien a dealership tech permission to beat on my car to see if the SES light issue could be repeated (without even asking me about the mods they knew were there). The Mitsubishi DM is also an EvoM member (he said so, and I figured out who he is) and semi-regular poster. He's also a regular at the local race tracks and implied that seeing my car at such an event would also void the warranty. (I guess he would prefer Evos in the news for street racing and killing people.)

Having been through the warranty game with Mitsubishi once before on a new car, it wasn't even a factor in my purchase. I essentally viewed buying the car as "no warranty" and have modded with that point of view. My toys, my problems.

Sorry about the novel...
Old Apr 14, 2004, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

.. its sad that you guys have to "FIGHT" for warranty work that you should be getting.

Are the STI and WRX guys having similar battles with Subaru or are Mitsu owners seeing the brunt of this battle?

Seems to me that if you have the ***** to sell a car like the evo to the public, you better be able to stand by it and fix it when it breaks.

My evo is 1month old, and i'm scared to do anything other than redline synths for fear of warranty issues.
This site is an outstanding resource!
Old Apr 14, 2004, 01:37 PM

Bah Humbug

I think the EVO is a great car, I really dont have any intention of going to the track, if i do it will be after the warranty is expired. But to make mistu happy I will say that since I am a previous owner of a DSM now an EVO they are keeping people interested in these cars. There has been a strong devotion to these cars for many many years. Finally they put a real car together instead of that pos eclipse 3g,

my .02$
Mod
Old Apr 14, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Some of my mods would void warantee, but a day's work and it can be basically back to stock trim. If need be, bolt on stock exhaust, remove MBC and use original vac lines, put back the paper air filter in stock box. They cannot detect my Dynoflash. As for gauges, stereo, that's BS. They cannot void your entire warantee for a boost gauge or turbo timer. They even offer their own gauges.

If you piggyback the ECU for anything, use a field harness. We have to be smarter than them.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 02:42 PM

If you were you to purchase an extended warranty lets say through your credit union. Can you use that for warranty work outside of Mitsu? Or does that only apply after your fact. has run out?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

I made it a point to ask exactly what would void the warranty (listing mods such as suspension changes, exhaust and boost controller) and was told that as long as I didn't mess with the turbo and block itself, I should be ok .... not sure I really believe that, only time will tell I guess.

l8r)
Old Apr 14, 2004, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

It seems that a lot of the coverage is up to the service manager as everybody seems to be getting different answers. I was told that a cat-back exaust, turbo timer (not mbc), any kind of extra guage or pod wer all okay. The problem they have with the airfilter is that too much hot air gets sucked into them because Evo engine bays get so hot. Also I was told that an after market filter woulnt protect the engine if water were to splash up into the engine compartment.
For Evo-05........extended warranties dont kick in until after the factory warranty runs out. Read your extended warranty it will tell you what you need to know......at least mines does.

Search this Thread