Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I Need help reading ECU. Can not solve problem.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Need help reading ECU. Can not solve problem.

(Yes I know there’s a similar post about this but there was no complete answers that actually worked)

I own an Evo 9 MR, and my EVOSCAN program or ECUFLASH program will not read my ECU. I have the openport 2.0, and a Mitsubishi ECU reflash cable/jack. I 1000% ensured the male ECU socket pin was making direct contact with the female Mitsubishi reflash connector. Every time I press read ECU on evo scan, it says it has an issue with “USB” wiring or something. The light on the openport works, makes orange lights and all that, but I can not read the ECU. I ensure this is not a problem with the USB on the computer as this is a brand new ASUS laptop straight from Best Buy.

My car has been tuned by Boostin’ performance in the past around 2012.

Also, the openport 2.0 worked completely fine on my friends car when he tuned it for pops and hangs.

If you can, please help me out.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibly a driver problem with the laptop. Wouldn't hurt to uninstall/reinstall both application and drivers.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by xxthayxx
Possibly a driver problem with the laptop. Wouldn't hurt to uninstall/reinstall both application and drivers.
could it be that my ECU might be locked?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tokyo drift Evo
could it be that my ECU might be locked?
You can't lock the stock ECU, you can change the ROM ID and make it rough for the next guy, but it would still pull data.

Uninstall Both programs, Reinstall with the latest ECUflash and make sure the drivers download correctly.

If that doesn't fix it, try another laptop. After that it would have to be the cable and or OBD jack.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
You can't lock the stock ECU, you can change the ROM ID and make it rough for the next guy, but it would still pull data.

Uninstall Both programs, Reinstall with the latest ECUflash and make sure the drivers download correctly.

If that doesn't fix it, try another laptop. After that it would have to be the cable and or OBD jack.
I uninstalled both Evoscan and ECUFlash, redownloaded a driver for ECUFlash, as well as the original ECUFlash software. But it only let me set up one of the programs, as if it was an exact clone and didn’t differ between the softwares. I don’t think ECUflash is the problem I think it’s a physical wiring issue, the tactrix openport 2.0 I purchased from Amazon was only $39, but my friend pop tuned his Audi perfectly fine. (He did not need a reflash cable connector)

The reflash connector I got from eBay had 100% positive reviews and was even recommended on evoscan(dot)com. I ran ecuflash and turned on my car and it read my rpm, and percentages, but when I press read ECU, it says failed and gives me a code.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 295 Likes on 236 Posts
Are you using the flash adapter with the Openport?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Are you using the flash adapter with the Openport?
Yes. The reflashing adapter is plugged into the openport jack hole. Then the other end of the adapter is plugged directly into the one pin in the ECU socket.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
1.3 will work for sure.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tokyo drift Evo
I uninstalled both Evoscan and ECUFlash, redownloaded a driver for ECUFlash, as well as the original ECUFlash software. But it only let me set up one of the programs, as if it was an exact clone and didn’t differ between the softwares. I don’t think ECUflash is the problem I think it’s a physical wiring issue, the tactrix openport 2.0 I purchased from Amazon was only $39, but my friend pop tuned his Audi perfectly fine. (He did not need a reflash cable connector)

The reflash connector I got from eBay had 100% positive reviews and was even recommended on evoscan(dot)com. I ran ecuflash and turned on my car and it read my rpm, and percentages, but when I press read ECU, it says failed and gives me a code.

You have a fake Openport. Purchase an authentic one and I'm sure it'll work.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Project_Broke
You have a fake Openport. Purchase an authentic one and I'm sure it'll work.
There is a used one for sale rn on evoX forum.