Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modern-day alternatives to Evo 9?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2021, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
I was secretly hoping for a nice DCT option on the new Z, but it makes sense that they'd pick a 9-speed auto from their current lineup.

I know modern automatics are quite good, but I still prefer the snappy shifts in both directions that come from a properly engineered DCT.

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
They say $38K for the base model. No LSD, tiny brakes and cloth seats. My bet is +$45k for the performance model plus crazy dealer markups for who knows how long.
If the $38K model came with a few extra upgrades (LSD, brakes) it would be a good deal.

If the equipped models edge into the $45K range, I'd spend an extra 10-15% and get a base 3.0 Supra instead.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
I was secretly hoping for a nice DCT option on the new Z, but it makes sense that they'd pick a 9-speed auto from their current lineup.

I know modern automatics are quite good, but I still prefer the snappy shifts in both directions that come from a properly engineered DCT.

If the $38K model came with a few extra upgrades (LSD, brakes) it would be a good deal.

If the equipped models edge into the $45K range, I'd spend an extra 10-15% and get a base 3.0 Supra instead.
Did you just contradict yourself by giving it crap because it doesn't have a DCT and then saying you would pick a Supra instead, which has an auto, not a DCT?
The following users liked this post:
Ayoustin (Aug 20, 2021)
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Toyota has some really good deals pop up every now and then. Sticker on my Supra was $58k (fully optioned premium). I got it for 51. I heard that a couple of the base 3.0 guys got theirs for 43k. The 2.0 guys were in the high 30s. Now that the 22s are about to come out, I am sure they will be wheelin and dealin on the 21s again around Thanksgiving time.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Ive been thinking about this for the past couple of years. I love the evo, but after over 10 years of ownership, ive wondered if i should move on. I cant offer much in terms of other car driving experience, but i will say that i have a ton of fun ripping my rsx-s around even tho it has a 3rd of the power and a 4th of the torque.

What i will say is that ive come to terms that nothing might ever replace the evos feeling. I just have to find something that feels like home, if that makes sense.

Ive always wanted a Corvette, and if i sell the evo, its going to be for a vette. After driving several, to me personally it feels like home, even tho it is waay different than the evo in almost every way except for crappy interior (C6 and older). I just feel happy driving a vette. Much like lumpysticks has said regarding his supra, it doesn't replace the feeling of the evo, but the happiness and fun factor is there among other things.

Either way, good luck in your search! Nothing ive driven has compared to the evo which is why ive owned it so long.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 08:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
My evo isn't going anywhere but I have been considering what platform will be next to venture into designing and producing parts for. While i love doing evo parts, it's pretty low volume and shrinking more all the time so I'm looking at stuff that's newer and a little more mainstream.

So far considering 10th gen civics and GT86/BRZ. Also considering NC/ND miatas but still casually surveying the market at the moment. Hoping to find settle on an option by the end of the year.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 09:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
My evo isn't going anywhere but I have been considering what platform will be next to venture into designing and producing parts for. While i love doing evo parts, it's pretty low volume and shrinking more all the time so I'm looking at stuff that's newer and a little more mainstream.

So far considering 10th gen civics and GT86/BRZ. Also considering NC/ND miatas but still casually surveying the market at the moment. Hoping to find settle on an option by the end of the year.
What about that Fit you have been throwing around? Always loved that gen Fit.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
What about that Fit you have been throwing around? Always loved that gen Fit.
Still having fun with it at the moment, just arrive at the track, make sure it has enough oil and send it the entire day without having to check anything except tire pressure; and it makes a great cheap daily/errand runner. I have a couple product ideas for it but I think it's a fairly niche market. The GD Fit was only sold in the US for 2 years and the amount of people that modify them is relatively small. Pretty much everyone who tracks them does it for Gridlife's Sundae Cup class and mods are relatively limited for the class too.

Of the products I've thought up I may end up doing a couple small batch sales but I don't see it as a realistic long term platform I can make enough to support my business with. Ideally I'm shooting for something newer (3-7 years old) that wasn't very expensive to buy when new. Everything I've listed fits that criteria I believe and are cars I've seen a fair amount of people driving on track the past couple years.

I think the miata stuff is fairly well covered so it's not at the top of the list. I think the 86 platform has been covered pretty well but I think with how good of swap platform it's becoming that tons of people are going to buy them for track cars in the next couple years and I believe there's a good hole in the market for well priced quality aftermarket suspension and chassis parts. The 10th gen civic really appeals to me though. Their aftermarket is still quite small on suspension and chassis parts which makes it easier to stand out rather than being just another name. Lots of people are already tracking the FK8 CTR but I've also noticed more and more people driving the Si on track too and given how not expensive they were new (like $25k) I think they're going to make a great weekend track car option over the next 10 years or so. Lots of parts interchange between those 2 cars too which means I'd be able to market to 2 somewhat different audiences with the same or similar parts.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Still having fun with it at the moment, just arrive at the track, make sure it has enough oil and send it the entire day without having to check anything except tire pressure; and it makes a great cheap daily/errand runner. I have a couple product ideas for it but I think it's a fairly niche market. The GD Fit was only sold in the US for 2 years and the amount of people that modify them is relatively small. Pretty much everyone who tracks them does it for Gridlife's Sundae Cup class and mods are relatively limited for the class too.

Of the products I've thought up I may end up doing a couple small batch sales but I don't see it as a realistic long term platform I can make enough to support my business with. Ideally I'm shooting for something newer (3-7 years old) that wasn't very expensive to buy when new. Everything I've listed fits that criteria I believe and are cars I've seen a fair amount of people driving on track the past couple years.

I think the miata stuff is fairly well covered so it's not at the top of the list. I think the 86 platform has been covered pretty well but I think with how good of swap platform it's becoming that tons of people are going to buy them for track cars in the next couple years and I believe there's a good hole in the market for well priced quality aftermarket suspension and chassis parts. The 10th gen civic really appeals to me though. Their aftermarket is still quite small on suspension and chassis parts which makes it easier to stand out rather than being just another name. Lots of people are already tracking the FK8 CTR but I've also noticed more and more people driving the Si on track too and given how not expensive they were new (like $25k) I think they're going to make a great weekend track car option over the next 10 years or so. Lots of parts interchange between those 2 cars too which means I'd be able to market to 2 somewhat different audiences with the same or similar parts.
There is a TON of aftermarket support for the 86 twins. I think you might be onto something with the Civic SI. They are capable cars, however they do have some shortcomings on track. I think cooling is a big one, but they can fit decent tire. In my opinion they also look 5,000,000x better than the CTR. They will be great buys used for a fun track day car.
The following users liked this post:
Ayoustin (Aug 20, 2021)
Old Aug 20, 2021, 02:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
There is a TON of aftermarket support for the 86 twins. I think you might be onto something with the Civic SI. They are capable cars, however they do have some shortcomings on track. I think cooling is a big one, but they can fit decent tire. In my opinion they also look 5,000,000x better than the CTR. They will be great buys used for a fun track day car.
I've seen a lot about the CTR having cooling issues. Not too sure if that's a problem with the Si or not. Honestly, the only big appealing thing about the Si over a base (other than aesthetics) is the LSD. The CRV and Si use the same turbo so the base civic can be brought up to 95% Si spec (drivetrain wise) with a $50-100 CRV turbo and an LSD. Some bolts ons and an E30 tune gets them pretty comfortable in the 250whp range. I've seen a few of the HPD built Si cars and those seem to perform pretty well so the potential is definitely there.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
New Honda Civic looks promising as well, at least the base car, so eager to see what the SI and "Hype-R" (Sorry couldn't resist) bring....
Old Aug 26, 2021, 05:15 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The upcoming Z is looking good, especially with the 6-speed. Not sure how long the markup will be over so. I heard the GT-4 comes close to the raw feeling of the Evos but I don't want to diet mainly on ramen to afford it.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I'm not impressed with the z. It's a 370z with an engine/trans swap, a body kit and interior update. Not saying the 370 was a bad car but come on Nissan, after almost 13 year of having the same chassis, seriously.... change it up. I am biased, obviously, but its not going to be the Supra killer as it's been named.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

It seems like anything offered with a manual trans nowadays seems promising hahaha. I think once the Z has been out for 2-3 years we'll start seeing some promising results from it.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I'm not impressed with the z. It's a 370z with an engine/trans swap, a body kit and interior update. Not saying the 370 was a bad car but come on Nissan, after almost 13 year of having the same chassis, seriously.... change it up. I am biased, obviously, but its not going to be the Supra killer as it's been named.
Finally someone who thought the same thing as me.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 06:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by huzzle101
Finally someone who thought the same thing as me.
Not sure why you guys feel this way. The engine and trans were the most meh things about the previous Z gens. The chassis is constructed very well honestly so I don't see a huge need for improvement there. Nissan is good about using aluminum in the right places of the chassis and suspension, the car comes with a mechanical LSD as standard, Brembo brakes are optional, and they don't force you to get a sunroof. I see this car selling very well, Supra sales are definitely going to suffer considering that you can get 400whp with a manual and not have to get a weaker base engine to get a third pedal.

Quick Reply: Modern-day alternatives to Evo 9?