Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modern-day alternatives to Evo 9?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 03:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Not sure why you guys feel this way. The engine and trans were the most meh things about the previous Z gens. The chassis is constructed very well honestly so I don't see a huge need for improvement there. Nissan is good about using aluminum in the right places of the chassis and suspension, the car comes with a mechanical LSD as standard, Brembo brakes are optional, and they don't force you to get a sunroof. I see this car selling very well, Supra sales are definitely going to suffer considering that you can get 400whp with a manual and not have to get a weaker base engine to get a third pedal.
I thought the LSD only came on the higher trim levels, but otherwise I agree. The outgoing Z was a fun car. An extra 100HP and factory turbos (aka built-in tuning overhead) while retaining a manual transmission option is not a bad upgrade at all.

I'd still reach for the Supra for myself, but I actually enjoy good auto transmissions (heresy, I know). The Z looks like it will remain a good option for people who want a fun, manual transmission, turbo car. At least until everything goes electric.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Was the last Z really a fun car? I've driven a bunch over the years and they have all been rubber bands. Maybe I drove crap setup ones? I do know stock they felt like a block of government cheddar that had been sitting out in the sun.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
Was the last Z really a fun car? I've driven a bunch over the years and they have all been rubber bands. Maybe I drove crap setup ones? I do know stock they felt like a block of government cheddar that had been sitting out in the sun.
The NASA Spec Z class (350Z) has been very popular locally. I haven't driven a Spec Z build but it looks faster than Spec Miata without being excessively expensive. Not hard to find a caged, ready to race Spec Z for $20K.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
It'll probably be too soft, but I saw in the news that Acura is going to come out with a new Integra. Apparently the Type R moniker is only used with Honda nowadays, but they said there will be a Type S variant of the new Integra (and stick shift as well). With the GR Corolla, new Z, Type R, and Integra it looks like we might have one last hurrah before the world goes electric.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
It'll probably be too soft, but I saw in the news that Acura is going to come out with a new Integra. Apparently the Type R moniker is only used with Honda nowadays, but they said there will be a Type S variant of the new Integra (and stick shift as well). With the GR Corolla, new Z, Type R, and Integra it looks like we might have one last hurrah before the world goes electric.
I was looking into CTR's again but unfortunately, even with an upgraded radiator and oil cooler, they still overheat on track after a couple of laps. It's actually quite shocking that Honda would release a Type-R with this issue.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
With the way things are going i'm actually considering throw 20k into a 360hp na s2k build thats still street friendly.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Although, the majority of Type Rs overheat on track, there have been quite a few people who have been able to track their R's without any issues of overheating. C&R radiator, IC, Varis carbon fiber hood, Acuity rad hoses and a few other mods have helped. It's just expensive to fix the problem.

Last edited by jayevo23; Aug 29, 2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I had my 9 since 2014 and have yet to find anything "modern" to replace it. If you really want to go fast, you can just get a Tesla and call it a day. But I agree with others above, in terms of overall package in terms of feel, handling, etc., nothing.

Previous 2005 STI owner, I would not buy a new STI as they are too heavy, barely had any upgrades in recent years, and just pretty much outdated. At least wait for the 2022 refresh.
Previous 350Z owner, the new 400 is nice, twin turbo would be awesome, just like the old 300zx. However, that two seater is more impractical than most realize.
Previous GTI owner, the new R looks nice, definitely a decent interior IMO, but hard to get over that German over engineering if you decide to tinker on your own car

If I really had to pick a new FWD car, I would probably get the Civic Type R. I currently own and have owned many Hondas and they are just so darn reliable it's not even funny. For RWD, the BRZ, Supra, 400Z.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by driven168
Previous 2005 STI owner, I would not buy a new STI as they are too heavy, barely had any upgrades in recent years, and just pretty much outdated. At least wait for the 2022 refresh.
Subaru has waited so long to refresh the STI that I'm afraid whatever they release next will be too little, too late.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Subaru has waited so long to refresh the STI that I'm afraid whatever they release next will be too little, too late.
That is a valid point. My daily driver is a 2018 Forester and the Forester Sport they sold these past few years have been a joke. The 2022 Forester Wilderness just released, but for whatever boneheaded reason did not include a better engine (turbo). Anyways, my fingers are crossed for the WRX and STI to have a good refresh. But a part of me anticipates that same 300 hp even with a refreshed engine with the lame excuse that "power is not everything" with the car blah blah
Old Sep 2, 2021, 07:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by driven168
That is a valid point. My daily driver is a 2018 Forester and the Forester Sport they sold these past few years have been a joke. The 2022 Forester Wilderness just released, but for whatever boneheaded reason did not include a better engine (turbo). Anyways, my fingers are crossed for the WRX and STI to have a good refresh. But a part of me anticipates that same 300 hp even with a refreshed engine with the lame excuse that "power is not everything" with the car blah blah
Surprisingly I don't think it matters what Subaru does. They sell a million of them. I see like 30 WRX and STI's a day up here in New York State. 50% of them have the "I want to throw babies into a black hole when I hear it" crackle tunes as well.

Having lived in California such a large chunk of my life, it feels very odd to me now that when I take the Evo out, a ton of people break their necks when I drive by. Probably because it's not just another Subaru.
The following users liked this post:
Crzykdd (Sep 3, 2021)
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
Surprisingly I don't think it matters what Subaru does. They sell a million of them. I see like 30 WRX and STI's a day up here in New York State.
Only 30? Whenever I go to the gym or a trailhead it's 60% Subarus, 30% Toyota Tacomas, and then 1 or 2 guys who didn't get the memo and showed up in a Camry or whatever.

I agree, though. Subaru doesn't really have to try. It's going to sell no matter what. At least until someone else comes out with a viable AWD turbo competitor and sticks with it.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So far the STi is the only thing i can think of. I cant get into the hot hatch game. I am glad they made those cars, and look fun, but i just cant drive a hatchback lol.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
My Evo alternative is our Model 3. Its the right amount of power, and the just fills the role of being a unique driving experience.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 295 Likes on 236 Posts
The new WRX just got announced today. Not a fan of it so far....

https://www.subaru.com/2022-wrx?SIE=...&bid=1-PLGE6B9

Quick Reply: Modern-day alternatives to Evo 9?