Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modern-day alternatives to Evo 9?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2021, 05:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Biggiesacks -- no problem at all, and the trend toward electric (although not part of my original post) is a big part of my musing as well. We just bought a new Land Rover Defender (which I absolutely love) which is filling the current void of "fun, interesting, and not entirely practical vehicle". Part of that decision, though, was that it's possible gas models won't be available a few years from now. The same idea lingers in the back of my head for cars... how much longer will there even be gas "performance" cars? I suspect at some point a few gas models will exist for strategic reasons (police vehicles, people who need them for long-range driving, etc.) but there won't be any character or fun to them -- they'll be appliances. So (not to be too depressing), the next performance car I buy might be the last gas one before everyone flips over to building electric.

Then again... I may have already bought/owned the best/last "performance" car (Evo), and it's time to mentally look forward to the electric wave (my wife has mentioned e-cars many, many times...which is another factor).

The M3P comments are interesting... I wasn't really even aware that car existed. Is there anything non-Tesla that's in that space (and price range?). I do like (on paper) the GR Corolla too though. We'll see...

RedAustinIX
Old Sep 19, 2021, 07:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 740 Likes on 572 Posts
Talking about alternatives to the Evo, I finally got the Tesla out to an event for testing before I start modding and making parts.

In the wet it does do some really odd things with its open diffs. I think it tends to spin the inside rear then brake bias which snaps the rear loose. It really required smooth inputs on exit to keep the car happy. In dryer (not fully dry tho) weather it just seemed to be quite a bit happier but entry understeer was creeping up pretty hard. Its definitely not an SS car and really needs shocks to compete at all. But it does have potential. It just REALLY needs stiffer springs and more rebound to control the 4000lbs.

Saturdays run. Good run, tried to keep as tidy as possible in the wet.

Sundays run, also solid. Pushing a bit harder as course dried out.
The following users liked this post:
osetsky (Sep 20, 2021)
Old Mar 24, 2024, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I'm in the same boat! I actually went looking for my IX MR I sold and found out it was totaled a year after I sold her. Crushed, I am looking for a replacement of some kind. Corolla GR or TTRS seem to be repeated often. If only we can get an Evo XI. Hell, if she was a hybrid that'd be OK.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 147 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximum404
I know this thread is old, but I'm in the same boat! I actually went looking for my IX MR I sold and found out it was totaled a year after I sold her. Crushed, I am looking for a replacement of some kind. Corolla GR or TTRS seem to be repeated often. If only we can get an Evo XI. Hell, if she was a hybrid that'd be OK.
The gr is a nerd Mobile. It looks like a 16 years old girls high school grad present. Audi is a cool choice but just cant beat the down to business aggressive but not overdone styling of older 8/9 chassis imo. Not to mention unbeatable weight reducion characteristics.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 129 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by RallySport9
The gr is a nerd Mobile. It looks like a 16 years old girls high school grad present. Audi is a cool choice but just cant beat the down to business aggressive but not overdone styling of older 8/9 chassis imo. Not to mention unbeatable weight reducion characteristics.
Have you driven the GR yet? That's the number 1 contender for my next daily and everything I have heard is very positive. Curious if you had a different experience or if its just the looks you don't like?
ViciousLSD (Mar 25, 2024)
Old Mar 25, 2024, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by schuhie
Have you driven the GR yet? That's the number 1 contender for my next daily and everything I have heard is very positive. Curious if you had a different experience or if its just the looks you don't like?
I don't doubt it's ability on the track, no I personally have never driven it so I can't speak on driving experience but know someone local who has one and has nothing bad to say about it. For me it's an aesthetic issue.
schuhie (Mar 26, 2024)
Old Mar 26, 2024, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

I don't doubt it's ability on the track, no I personally have never driven it so I can't speak on driving experience but know someone local who has one and has nothing bad to say about it. For me it's an aesthetic issue.
Gotcha. Yea, looks are pretty subjective. I don't hate how it looks but it doesn't look as good as the 8/9 for sure. I think for a modern car, it is styled decent so that doesn't bother me. My thing right now is the price lol. I need Toyota to keep making them for a few more years so when I go to buy one in a couple years the used ones aren't still $35k+ lol.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I owned a GR and it’s fun for what it is. They have potential but going to be a while before that platform is sorted out. Good to at least see shops like Boostin and Speed lab Inc pick them up.

I’ve pretty much owned everything at this point, and come to the realization that modern cars are almost TOO good and you lose what makes driving cars like the the evo, special.

Everything is just so fast now, but at the same time so tame, refined and easy to drive they become boring pretty quickly. IMO.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spec C
I owned a GR and it’s fun for what it is. They have potential but going to be a while before that platform is sorted out. Good to at least see shops like Boostin and Speed lab Inc pick them up.

I’ve pretty much owned everything at this point, and come to the realization that modern cars are almost TOO good and you lose what makes driving cars like the the evo, special.

Everything is just so fast now, but at the same time so tame, refined and easy to drive they become boring pretty quickly. IMO.
That's good feedback. I haven't gotten a chance to drive one yet but that's basically what I figured. A refined, quick car that doesn't have a ton of personality like the evo does.

The evo isn't going anywhere for me so I'll always have that raw experience in the evo.

I too am super excited to see Buscher and other main DSM/EVO players pick up the platform. Hopefully it leads to good results in the next few years while I wait out buying one.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by schuhie
That's good feedback. I haven't gotten a chance to drive one yet but that's basically what I figured. A refined, quick car that doesn't have a ton of personality like the evo does.

The evo isn't going anywhere for me so I'll always have that raw experience in the evo.

I too am super excited to see Buscher and other main DSM/EVO players pick up the platform. Hopefully it leads to good results in the next few years while I wait out buying one.
to be fair the gr has a ton of personality. The evo or gd wrx was the first cars I thought of when I got it. It is THE reason I’m getting back into an evo right now lol It reminded me how much I missed it.

It felt kinda quirky and unrefined and I could see it being a lot of fun with more time.

I actually only sold it because at the time there were no serious shops buying them and just complete lack of development. I didn’t want to wait around. Now with boostin, buschur, speed lab etc. it’s actually fairly interesting to see.

my post was more to all the “auto” cars. Ie. I had a built rs3. Could rip off a deep 9 sec 1/4 mile on the street, with the ac on holding the wheel with 1 finger. It drove like a stock rs3(or a3) when you wanted. Quiet, soft, etc.

It was super impressive, good for a daily, but the novelty wears off quick and what you’re left with is a kinda boring, really ****ing fast car lol. And that’s most modern cars. Impressive in the sense we’ve come so far that you can have a 8-9sec car that’s refined, and streetable, but it removes a ton of the “drama” from driving a car like the evo.

schuhie (Mar 26, 2024)
Old Mar 26, 2024, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spec C
to be fair the gr has a ton of personality. The evo or gd wrx was the first cars I thought of when I got it. It is THE reason I’m getting back into an evo right now lol It reminded me how much I missed it.

It felt kinda quirky and unrefined and I could see it being a lot of fun with more time.

I actually only sold it because at the time there were no serious shops buying them and just complete lack of development. I didn’t want to wait around. Now with boostin, buschur, speed lab etc. it’s actually fairly interesting to see.

my post was more to all the “auto” cars. Ie. I had a built rs3. Could rip off a deep 9 sec 1/4 mile on the street, with the ac on holding the wheel with 1 finger. It drove like a stock rs3(or a3) when you wanted. Quiet, soft, etc.

It was super impressive, good for a daily, but the novelty wears off quick and what you’re left with is a kinda boring, really ****ing fast car lol. And that’s most modern cars. Impressive in the sense we’ve come so far that you can have a 8-9sec car that’s refined, and streetable, but it removes a ton of the “drama” from driving a car like the evo.
Well that's even better to hear! I was hoping for a bit on personality but I drive a TDI wagon now and that doesn't have much so I was ok moving that direction for a daily.

I understand the not wanting to wait thing lol. That's one of the main drivers in me waiting a few years to pick one up, I wanted to see where the platform went before I commit to it.

It is crazy how fast modern cars are, even stock. I can definitely see where that gets boring quickly. It has a really cool trick but at the end of the day, its still 1 trick lol. That's how I felt when I drove a Tesla for the first time, 10 minutes in the coolness wore off and it was just blah.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 403 Likes on 343 Posts
I'm ready to get bored with a newer car lol
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
The gr is a nerd Mobile. It looks like a 16 years old girls high school grad present.
The Evo is also a major nerd mobile.

GR Corolla looks like a fun car by all accounts but I can't get myself too into the idea of building it up. A lot of things like the 1.6L 3-cylinder or the cooling system that overheats on track feels like a step back from a platform like the Evo. I think it would be a fun drive around town car if you want something that's the opposite of boring to drive.

Unfortunately I don't think we're getting another performance-first AWD boost car any time soon. The new Supra platform is turning out to be great for modding, once you get past the locked ECU challenges. It's RWD and the non-DCT auto isn't my favorite, but it performs extremely well.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
The Evo is also a major nerd mobile.

GR Corolla looks like a fun car by all accounts but I can't get myself too into the idea of building it up. A lot of things like the 1.6L 3-cylinder or the cooling system that overheats on track feels like a step back from a platform like the Evo. I think it would be a fun drive around town car if you want something that's the opposite of boring to drive.

Unfortunately I don't think we're getting another performance-first AWD boost car any time soon. The new Supra platform is turning out to be great for modding, once you get past the locked ECU challenges. It's RWD and the non-DCT auto isn't my favorite, but it performs extremely well.
Agree with pretty much all of that. Except that the evo is a nerd mobile. Then again I don't consider anything in the tuner world pre 2008 nerdy. They were the most raw driving experience without any bells and whistles to comfort its driver. Made to tear apart and modify. And the styling of early evos is just so rebellious. What nerd are we talking about here? Car nerd or band practice nerd? Cuz I was leaning towards the GR is styled like a band nerd car lol
Old Mar 27, 2024, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
Greetings! I haven't been on this forum in a while (sold my Evo a few years ago), but have been getting the itch to have a fast car again. I bought my Evo 9 new back in '06, and enjoyed the 10+ years of ownership, mods/upgrades and driving. When parts supplies started drying up and more major issues were on the horizon, I decided to sell (at a great price, I should add...). I'm not super mechanical, not a track racer, and don't hit the drag strip every weekend. But... I enjoyed having a fast car that I could daily drive, and very infrequently go to autocross events or the drag strip. I really enjoyed doing simple bolt-on upgrades, the research process, and working on stuff like A-pillar gauges, audio (I had a Orbital designs 2-DIN!), etc.

Knowing that nothing can really replace the Evo 9, I'm wondering if any of you have ideas about what new cars might be a decent replacement? For example, it would seem that the WRX STI might be the closest -- is it going to provide a similar fun, performance, upgrade experience that I had with the Evo? I was considering the BMW M2 also, but parts (and the car) are a lot pricier -- I'm not sure the bang-for-the-buck is there. Important to me is something that has a dealer network (to back up my mechanical mistakes), and also something that I can customize a bit to make it special. Also, it's nice if it's fast. I bought a Miata for a year or two after selling my Evo, and I realized that in addition to the slowness, the lack of usability and space were things I didn't care for.

Or... will there never be another Evo, and I should just consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to enjoy such a fine automobile as long as I did?

Thanks!
RedAustinIX
Porsche turbo, Porsche turbo s maybe the Porsche gt3 would me my guess.

Last edited by vtec fever; Apr 3, 2024 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Modern-day alternatives to Evo 9?