Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

15k Evo 9 MR 'Time Capsule' Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2023, 03:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 91355evo9
Car looks great.

Fitment industries is not helping you as they are too busy blowing their billions on their youtube channel (hamilton collection)
yeah, wow they suck. I used an Amex so most likely will just fight the charge. I’m sure they have some kind of protection on the purchase. They literally said they’d give me $75 off and told me to ‘buy another wheel’ as their solution. Hilarious.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BRW21
yeah, wow they suck. I used an Amex so most likely will just fight the charge. I’m sure they have some kind of protection on the purchase. They literally said they’d give me $75 off and told me to ‘buy another wheel’ as their solution. Hilarious.
Leave a bad review
Do the amex charge back.

Old Feb 15, 2023, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
@BRW21 Who's your tuner? If they're recommending a Black for quick spooling, I'd probably go elsewhere. Your best bet is E85 and something smaller unless you want to hate this car (I'm basing that on what you've said about throttle response thus far).

Muellerized sold me Eibach springs for my Ohlins so I could have the car sit lower. You might contact them for advice and to get some different springs.

Old Feb 15, 2023, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Hey guys - I know its been a while so I figured I would post an update. Over the last couple of weeks the following went on / was replaced or updated:
  • Ohlins coilovers. I am honestly not thrilled with these. I set them up at 199mm preload on the springs they provided and maxed out the bottom threads and they don't go very low. I have several emails into them and have yet to hear back. They also arrived damaged / the rear adjuster knobs were broken. Also not enjoyable essentially having to take them off the car entirely to adjust ride height (in the front at least)
A popular trick in the s-chassis world is to flip the lower brackets on the front coilovers for lower ride heights. In the rears you might just have to run shorter springs if they don't go that low..

by the way I did loosen the two bolts holding the throttle cable in the engine bay and moved it ever so slightly left and it got rid of the slack. You were right. It was really bad. I left a little slack for obvious reasons but it literally was like falling to the back of the engine bay. Haven’t been able to drive it yet but I know for a fact it’s going to help.

really appreciate the guidance!!
Nice. Check if your gas pedal still hits the stopper at WOT. If it doesn't you will be putting added stress on the cable and bracketry. This was how far mine was after tightening it lol I 3d printed a new stopper that just screws in to the stud where the stock stopper attaches and in the end, it raised the gas pedal a bit which is nice for heel-toe. I couldn't downshift at all when I first got the car lol

Last edited by Spooled_IX; Feb 15, 2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by kpt6
@BRW21 Who's your tuner? If they're recommending a Black for quick spooling, I'd probably go elsewhere. Your best bet is E85 and something smaller unless you want to hate this car (I'm basing that on what you've said about throttle response thus far).

Muellerized sold me Eibach springs for my Ohlins so I could have the car sit lower. You might contact them for advice and to get some different springs.
Desmond @ Performance Destination recommended that after charging me $106 to get an IG message back for his turbo recommendation for my goals LOL. I have been in touch with Chag Tuned and he has been awesome. We've been working on getting my Tactrix working (seems like I dont have the mitsu adapter) to get a read file so he can see whats going on currently with the fuel. He was more on board with FP red based on my goals (clean idle, pump gas but potential for e85, not daily driven, reliable, clean power, quick spool). Definitely going to get in touch with Ohlins on different springs. I am not happy with these at all.
The following users liked this post:
ScubaStevo (Jun 15, 2023)
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spooled_IX
A popular trick in the s-chassis world is to flip the lower brackets on the front coilovers for lower ride heights. In the rears you might just have to run shorter springs if they don't go that low..

Interesting!! I will see if that works! LOL

Nice. Check if your gas pedal still hits the stopper at WOT. If it doesn't you will be putting added stress on the cable and bracketry. This was how far mine was after tightening it lol I 3d printed a new stopper that just screws in to the stud where the stock stopper attaches and in the end, it raised the gas pedal a bit which is nice for heel-toe. I couldn't downshift at all when I first got the car lol
woah.... mine definitely doesnt touch. It never did. Looking into this now!!
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:08 PM

some updated pics. It's coming along!
The following 6 users liked this post by BRW21:
black E (Feb 17, 2023), huzzle101 (Jan 5, 2024), JD Customs USA (Feb 17, 2023), Royal Evo (Feb 18, 2023), Spooled_IX (Feb 16, 2023), staywide8 (Feb 17, 2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Feb 17, 2023, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts
Lookin good!
BRW21 (Feb 17, 2023)
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Desmond @ Performance Destination recommended that after charging me $106 to get an IG message back for his turbo recommendation for my goals LOL.
Not surprised he recommended a FP Black for 450whp lol. If you look at all the evos he has tuned on his IG page you will notice they all have a Honda looking powerband with no torque until 5k rpm, even on small turbos because he "don't like to send it below 5k rpm" lol way too conservative. You would hate the Black. Can easily get to 450whp on e85 with a FP Green, Red, or AGT 55mm turbo with way more under the curve. I just got an AGT 55mm (Art Gennari Turbo) and would recommend it over other option, FP Red performance and reliability at much better price.
dhazardous (Feb 17, 2023)
Old Feb 17, 2023, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieOh
Lookin good!
thank you!!

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Not surprised he recommended a FP Black for 450whp lol. If you look at all the evos he has tuned on his IG page you will notice they all have a Honda looking powerband with no torque until 5k rpm, even on small turbos because he "don't like to send it below 5k rpm" lol way too conservative. You would hate the Black. Can easily get to 450whp on e85 with a FP Green, Red, or AGT 55mm turbo with way more under the curve. I just got an AGT 55mm (Art Gennari Turbo) and would recommend it over other option, FP Red performance and reliability at much better price.
haha yeah it didn’t pass the sniff test whatsoever. Been working with Chag Tuned and he’s been pretty great to work with so far. Seems very knowledgeable on the platform and has been extremely responsive.

I appreciate the recommendations. I ended up going with FP Red BB and picked up some new injectors, full titanium housing, downpipe, test pipe, and a slightly bigger fuel pump as well. I’m really excited.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:31 AM

Hey guys- can anybody tell me what ohm resistor I need to get rid of this SRS light when installing aftermarket seats? I have done some searching and the threads are all very old, and there is a lot of debate.

I also cannot for the life of me get these rexpeed mirrors to work. The passenger mirrors are moving left to right only and the driver mirrors wont work at all. I have seen many threads on these and everybody seems to get them working with the wiring recommended on here, but mine wont take. no fuses blown as far as I can tell. I am stumped. Rexpeed told me basically to check the wires and make sure they match the sheet they provided, which makes ZERO sense haha!!

Here are some more progress shots!

Old Feb 22, 2023, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
No Airbags in the seats so no resistors are needed.
Also the belt buckle plug is just for the dash light and warning. You can disconnect that too, no issues and no lights.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by black E
No Airbags in the seats so no resistors are needed.
Also the belt buckle plug is just for the dash light and warning. You can disconnect that too, no issues and no lights.
thank you I appreciate that! Unplugging the seat buckle wire worked great - no ding or anything which is fantastic.

however when I removed the front seat belts I seem to have upset something. SRS light in dash. Assuming I can just plug a resistor into the little yellow plug where the seatbelts connected. I assumed it was an airbag sensor. It was connected to the bottom of the seatbelt assembly. I wish I took a pic. I’ll have to do some more research but it sounds like just a resistor should do the trick.

not a ton of progress today but did get some new pads, rotors, and brake lines in. Also replaced all the lights with some LEDs. Much cleaner.

more to come!
Old Feb 24, 2023, 06:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
You should PM a mod and have them move this to the build threads. It's a great way to chronicle the progress of the car and there's a special area for them.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Terror Rising
You should PM a mod and have them move this to the build threads. It's a great way to chronicle the progress of the car and there's a special area for them.
will do, thank you!

Quick Reply: 15k Evo 9 MR 'Time Capsule' Build