Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Would this be a good indication?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2002, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would this be a good indication?

I found this on a Subaru site. If subaru is already releasing this type of information is because they know they can pass California emissions. I am hopping the EVO will come with at least the same amount of power as the STi.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/index.html

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX STi: The Impreza WRX has been a smashing success, bringing first-time Subaru shoppers into the showroom and establishing a true performance image in America. A watered-down version of the home-market WRX, the 227-horse model will be joined by its WRX STi big brother. The Subaru Technica International model promises 260 horsepower, firmer suspension, front and rear limited-slip differentials, six-speed manual transmission, and larger Brembo brakes.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well, they really don't know much either (just telling us their opinion) ,but, here is what they say about the Evo:
"2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII: Mitsubishi is serious about bringing its Lancer rivalry with the Subaru Impreza WRX Stateside. Overseas, the Evo VII packs 280 horsepower, race-bred five-speed transmission, massive Brembo brakes, all-wheel drive, active yaw control, lightweight aluminum body pieces, Recaro seats, Momo steering wheel, and titanium interior trim. Expect the U.S.-market Evolution VIII to sacrifice a few horses to meet California emissions, putting output in the 260-270 hp range, when it goes on sale spring 2003."
Old Aug 29, 2002, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Ah...the old Subaru and Mitsubishi debate. Judging from both those statements it seems like both car companies realize the potential these cars have for both enthusiasts and the general public. They're kinda still being watered down in a way through emissions however. Nevertheless, I'm sure both I-Club and EvolutionM will both enjoy whatever they get, seeing how it's the top of the line model we're finally going to see. And for others, it'll just come down to preference, like always.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

I think that because these 2 cars are so close overseas in all aspects of performance, they will be very close when they make it to our shores as well...just a little detuned.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I'll just state my thoughts that it might be wise for Mitsu to hold back their "big gun" EVO until the STI comes out, and released the further detuned VIII at a lower price. I hate to say it, but, it is pretty sound strategy.

I think that Mitsu will come out on top simply because the styling of the VIII isn't quite as radical as the WRX.