Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I might sell evo for a cheaper car

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might sell evo for a cheaper car

With 6 months left of school, I was going ever my financial plans for the future and am thinking about selling my evo for something cheaper. With my school bills and house bills, I cant afford a 400 dollar payment a month so I was thinking about getting an rx-7. My friend has one for 13k with a new motor in it and the only mods are reliability mods. Do you guys think this will be a good move? I love the evo but I dont want to struggle to make the payments. Do you guys know insurance differences between both? What about handling? Please respond asap.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:54 PM

also, I am fully aware of the heat issues that they have, but my friend assured me that with proper care, it wont blow.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Since no one here really knows your finacial situation it would be tough to tell you what to do exactly.

Is the rx-7 an FD? I wouldn't touch an FD with a 10' pole but that is just me. The kicker with them is the "propper" maintenence. It just isn't a car you can get in drive hard and put away wet. Plus I have seen too many FDs puke their guts out on road courses.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Well lets put it this way. You want to leave a reliable Evo for a used RX-7, which normal people have nothing put problems with? My cousin had an RX-7 bought brand new, and blew a turbo on that thing at 10K miles. The thing was totally stock and an automatic. I would stay with the Evo. If the Evo isn't going your way right now, and you still want power, an SRT4 isn't a bad choice. If you can look past the fact that it looks like a Neon, it really is a great car for the money
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

yeah I would rather pay $400 a month than pay a couple thousand at once to pay for something breaking.........
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

The RX-7 would be on the bottom of my list for a quality used car. If you are financing the Evo, you will lose $$ big time by the time you sell it and pay off your loan and buy another car. Not worth it. $400 is not bad nowadays for a car payment. IMO, selling any new car is a bad move. Restructure your finances a different way such as getting a loan, use a credit card to make a few payments on the Evo, get a better insurance rate. Look at your budget carefully. A few dinners, movies, alcohol a month can add up.

If you are set on giving up the Evo, no sense in getting another performance car, especially a rotary. Get a car that will really save you money; .Civic, Teg, etc.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Conventional wisdom would imply that you shouldn't even think about the FD RX-7 as a money saver.

If you're even considering an FD, I assume that a 2 seater with limited luggage space is okay. What about a 1999 or 2000 Miata? 140 HP in a 2300 pound car, wonderful handling, pretty good gas mileage. Parts are readily available because the Miata is a current model. And you should be able to find one with low mileage for under $10K.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:34 AM

Take care of a 7...and it'll take care of you. I've had mine for almost 8 years and its been great...only general maintenence which would be required for any car.

If you are looking into the FD...MAKE SURE you get a compression test...and it better be amazing results.

I agree with everyone else though...you'd be taking a loss getting rid of the Evo...if you want something reliable that will truly save you money...go for a civic or miata.

Like someone has in their sig:
fast, cheap, reliable...choose two

good luck with your decision
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Miata would be a death trap.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta agree with these guys on this one...Selling an evo for a RX-7 is not a wise financial investment. I'd either keep the evo, or sell it to buy something cheaper that has a long proven reliability until you can afford to splurge. Maybe an Si Civic, and id even agree with the SRT-4 if you can avoid the mod bug and not turn up the boost. The SRT-4's have proven pretty reliable which is suprising in my opinion. Or maybe consider a used GST eclipse if u like the 4G63. Heck, if I were you, id find a 1G turbo and keep that until you can afford something more expensive. They are super reliable, dont cost anything, and are pretty quick.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by ImportPePe
Miata would be a death trap.
Why would Miata would be a death trap?

I was planning on possibly getting one.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 04:52 PM

i know my way around cars, my friend is a rotary junky, and i know how to treat a car so reliability is not an issue with me. My friend has had the car for 5 years and the only reason the motor went was because he let his brother drive it. i really want to here from the people who have had one or driven one so I can hear their comparisons between handling (I will track occasionally), speed, insurance, and anything else they can come up with. Im not going to sell and downgrade to a civic. I figured an rx-7 because its fast, looks nice, and is cheaper than my car.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 04:58 PM
Account Disabled

If u can't afford the evo get something cheaper like an SRT-4, a sentra SE-R or even an Lancer OZ. You should get something newer that is at least got some dependability. That RX-7 is gonna cost as much in repairs as ur payin for your evo
Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by krzyray

Why would Miata would be a death trap?

I was planning on possibly getting one.
Well for me in Dallas, where SUV's flourish, it would be a death trap.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

honestly, if price is an issue, you wouldn't want high-maintenance cost sports vehicles...if you want cheaper car, get something reliable like a civic or something...remember, most/all of sports cars have high maintenance cost