Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: E46 M3 or EvoVII
M3 ya idiot!
26.67%
EvoVII + cash is a good thing!
73.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Sell the M3, get an EvoVII and pocket the extra cash?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2002, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I've seen the video long before I registered on this site. What it boils down to is this... I probably only track, at the most, once a month... the usual courses around here, Sears Point, Thunderhill, Laguna Seca.

The attractiveness of the Evo is that is is cheaper than the M3 and has the performance I've become so addicted to. I don't know the difference until I actually see what I can get for the M3 so it's questionable how much depreciation I would be hit with. The extra money would just be going to other things than modding (most I would do would probably be EI's $2400 upgrade for 300whp and 18" lighter wheels).

I really like the M3, don't get me wrong... it's a wonderful blend of performance and luxury. But, I think it's questionably worth $60k given some of it's quality control issues.

So in the end it's really looking at a few options:

1) keep the M3, work with it's shortcomings
2) sell the M3, get the Evo7, pocket the difference for a rainy day
3) sell the M3, get an even cheaper solution which may not be as good a performer but pocket even more money (modded WRX? 350Z?)

If I sell the M3 I wouldn't get another Bimmer however much I like the M Coupe... I want to avoid dealing with those dealerships if possible.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

I really like the M3, don't get me wrong... it's a wonderful blend of performance and luxury. But, I think it's questionably worth $60k given some of it's quality control issues.
Keyword:
But

In all honesty, I can tell you want the Evo VII! The only thing holding you back is that you want to hear it from others rather than just your opinion. Do what's best, go for the Evo!
Old Sep 16, 2002, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Try and get a drive in an Evo. That's what I did. The M3 was gone 15 days later. Have never looked back.

However, don't think that running an Evo is cheaper than an M3. If you start tuning, it is much more expensive.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

qoute:
"BMW always gets the ladies....but now I'm so confused...females or driftin around with AWD.

What the hell am I talking about....M3 for sure! "

well...if loki's in a stable long relationship.i'm sure he would care about the m3 being a girls magnet.aniway if a gal chooses u for the car u hav.i doubt tht gal wun be ani sincere or loyal to u.she's would be juz looking into a guy's material pocession for love...tht's not gd.wad if one dae u become a begger? i bet those type of gals would leave u.aniway.....

i realli admire m3's luxury n excellent design curves...realli would make anione drool.but do not forget part of the money goes into the BRAND....no matter how u argue..u're paying a considerably hard amt of $ into the BMW brand...n for the luxury of e car as well...

for e evo ...well most of the money goes into the performance... .....
Old Sep 16, 2002, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

espido, please try to speak some proper English or you'll disgrace everyone from your country . . .

Evo vs M3, both are just as quick I feel but for an everyday car, go for the M3, if you can afford it.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

ops sorri guys,was juz typing quick n made alot typos.

in ani other case,i might use some singlish terms tht might seem foreign to u guys.i cant control it.i'm juz being a typical singaporean.heh heh...

Old Sep 17, 2002, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by espido1001

well...if loki's in a stable relationship, i'm sure he wouldn't care about the m3 being a girl magnet. anyway, if a gal chooses u for the car, i doubt that gal would be sincere or loyal to u. she's would be just looking into a guy's material possession for love...tht's not good. what if one day u become a beggar? i bet those type of gals would leave u anyway.....

i realli admire m3's luxury n excellent design curves...it would make anyone drool. but do not forget part of the money goes into the BRAND....no matter how u argue..u're paying a considerably hard amount of $ into the BMW brand...and for the luxury of a car as well...

for an evo...well most of the money goes into the performance
espido, i realize the potential as both, i was just jokin since everyone said somethin about females before i did.

I would personally go with an Evolution. It may not be as luxurious (sp?) as an M3, but keep it mind, it wasn't designed for that purpose anyway. It was meant to take corners, brake hard, and be driven to the limit. For anyone that really knows cars, it would be obvious to go with the Evolution.

While I haven't driven an M3 myself, I can't say much for the performance. Although I do realize it's fast, and you get what you pay for. However, I don't see the hoopla concerning this vehicle. It''s a nice car, but I never liked BMW's in the first place. Even if it is a chick magnet, the only reason those chicken heads are getting in your car is for the blue and white propeller on your car.

I could care less about luxury...everytime I drive, I push my car within safe limits. It doesn't matter to me that I have heated seats, or leather interior. The only thing that is on my mind is whether or not I'm gonna have to counter steer after I make this turn.

Loki, IMO, get an Evo. With the money left over, the mods you will invest in will make you forget about the M3 all together.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by loki
Yup, I've seen the video long before I registered on this site. What it boils down to is this... I probably only track, at the most, once a month... the usual courses around here, Sears Point, Thunderhill, Laguna Seca.

The attractiveness of the Evo is that is is cheaper than the M3 and has the performance I've become so addicted to. I don't know the difference until I actually see what I can get for the M3 so it's questionable how much depreciation I would be hit with. The extra money would just be going to other things than modding (most I would do would probably be EI's $2400 upgrade for 300whp and 18" lighter wheels).

So in the end it's really looking at a few options:

1) keep the M3, work with it's shortcomings
2) sell the M3, get the Evo7, pocket the difference for a rainy day
3) sell the M3, get an even cheaper solution which may not be as good a performer but pocket even more money (modded WRX? 350Z?)

If I sell the M3 I wouldn't get another Bimmer however much I like the M Coupe... I want to avoid dealing with those dealerships if possible.
loki... while i would personally go for the evo approach, i'm
wondering how much can you save?
How much does a used 02 M3 SMG2 go for? Friend of mine just
bought a 01 M3 with 10k miles for 45k... and knows someone with
a 02 for sell for around 48k?...
If you buy buy from EI... that's 40k+tax and lic... which end up
in the 44k range... not too much money left...

Oh wait.. you might not live in CA... where the tax+lic usually end
up more then 10%... sorry..
Old Sep 17, 2002, 04:55 AM
mcm

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Claudius is one of EM's Moderators. He lives in Europe...I'm pretty certain France.

M3's are great cars I'm sure, but to say they're the best in the world is just plain silly. There are faster and better handling cars (Evo) that cost less. The only reason I'd hold onto it would be because I wouldn't fear much depreciation. Those things truly hold value. On the other hand if you could get an Evo VII plus money for parts or just plus money I think you'd be far better off as far as the driving experience goes. ...just don't expect the interior to be as nice.
I'm not sure what world you live in, but around here (earth) verrryyyy few cars do better than losing 33-50% of their value the instant you drive them off the lot. BMW's would have to be one of the WORST cars to buy as far as depreciation goes, M badge or not (in fact many taxi companies buy up old corporate 7 series at 1/5 the price of a new model, and they are only 3 years old. You do the math.) If you're buying a car with the conception that it is an asset, you need your head examined (unless it has a x/(n < 500) plaque on the interior somewhere.. oh and an SF badge up front..)

-mike
Old Sep 17, 2002, 05:07 AM
mcm

Originally posted by 3171
Try and get a drive in an Evo. That's what I did. The M3 was gone 15 days later. Have never looked back.

However, don't think that running an Evo is cheaper than an M3. If you start tuning, it is much more expensive.
Are you kidding me!?? Have you looked at prices for aftermarket BMW kits? It's got to be 500% more than the equivilent upgrade on an EVO..
Also, there is a difference between 'running' a car and 'tuning' a car. I'd say both cars would be relatively expensive to 'run' (compared to say, a Carolla...) but you have to agree that spare parts and labour on a BMW is far more expensive than on a Mitsubishi. I'd say the only thing you might have as an advantage in the BMW with respect to running costs would be gas milage, but uhh.. why would you buy a $30,000 car, let alone a $60,000 car, if you were that concerned about fuel consumption?

-mike
Old Sep 17, 2002, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

tell him like it is mcm...tell him like it is
Old Sep 17, 2002, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

How often does one drive the car to its limits? If you get the Evo as a daily driver, you probably drive to the limits at what, less than 10% of the time.

For a trackday car, the evo would be great. But for an everyday car, go for the M3, especially if you drive in peak traffic with bad roads like most roads in the US.

The Evo's stiff suspension, noise can be pretty bad on long trips.
If you already have an M3, keep it.
The Evo's performance is not much more over that and the M3's luxury is a whole lot better.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 05:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, I would agree the M3 is a very nice car. Wonderfully appointed. The seats with the cloth center are awesome. The car looks beautiful. But on a track, that doesn't make a difference. Both are good cars, but the evo is similar to better performance for almost half the price. And the minute you start messing with cars, you should expect something to go wrong (the nature of the beast) and that can get prohibitively expensive if you have an M3. Just my .02.

e in la
Old Sep 17, 2002, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

mcm,

You don't know what you are talking about. As some one who has owned an M3 and as someone who curently owns an evo, there are a lot more mods for the evo than the M3. As for price of aftermarket parts, just go ask Claudius how much his suspension costs.

With respect to running an M3 vs. an evo, it is much more than pumping gas in the tank. You also have to consider frequency of oil changes, brakes (pads+discs), other fluids, clutch, etc.

The evo maybe a 30k car, but most people will spend much more on it.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 08:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by mcm

I'm not sure what world you live in, but around here (earth) verrryyyy few cars do better than losing 33-50% of their value the instant you drive them off the lot. BMW's would have to be one of the WORST cars to buy as far as depreciation goes, M badge or not (in fact many taxi companies buy up old corporate 7 series at 1/5 the price of a new model, and they are only 3 years old. You do the math.) If you're buying a car with the conception that it is an asset, you need your head examined (unless it has a x/(n < 500) plaque on the interior somewhere.. oh and an SF badge up front..)

-mike
Like it says under my title I live in NJ though you didn't mention where you live aside from "earth". M3's hold their value better than most cars of equal or lesser price. Try looking on auto trader for used M3's for a point of reference. Some M3's older than 3 years still sell for more than brand new Civics, Lancers, Golfs etc.

As you put it, I'm not sure what world you live in, but the vast majority of taxis around here are crown vics.

Quick Reply: Sell the M3, get an EvoVII and pocket the extra cash?