Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

upgraded tach gauges

Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking upgraded tach gauges

I would like to know if anybody has upgraded there center tach with a larger one that sits on the left side of the dash. Everytime I race. I seem to overshoot the tach limit because I am trying to watch what is in front of me and at the same time trying to watch the tiny center tach. The revs go up so fast it hard to focus on the forward site and the tach site at the same time. I know it really looks ricey but I hate to over rev the engine. I remember watching the movie too fast and the furious and I saw a pretty nice tach on the evo 7. I think it was APex. I saw it when I was at Autobecs in orange county, CA. I remember it was about 200 dollars. give me some input if you guys or gals would put one on. Thanks Peace.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just get a HKS turbo timer TYPE 1...it has a shifter light..just mount it on top of the steering wheel and you can see it change into different colors and hear it beep
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Ever thought of a shift light? They're not too expensive, and I've seen some people hide them in vents...

Cabo

EDIT: Looks like the Emperor beat me to it...
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by The Emperor
just get a HKS turbo timer TYPE 1...it has a shifter light..just mount it on top of the steering wheel and you can see it change into different colors and hear it beep
WHAT?! it has a shift light? maybe i shouldn't have thrown away the instructions. How do you set it?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- Press the [M] switch to get into the Engine RPM Warning Mode.
- Press [S] switch to select from Warning 1, Warning 2, or Warning OFF (initial warning setting is on OFF). Warning 1 ([WR1] lights up) is the shift up indicator. (Initial value is 5000[r/min]) Warning 2 ([WR2] lights up) is the red zone indicator. (initial value is 8000[r/min]).
- When [WR1] or [WR2] are flashing, press [T1] (up) or [T2] (down) to set the warning values (rpm settings are in increments of 100[r/min]).
- If [WR1] and [WR2] are flashing together the wanring will turn OFF.
- 5 seconds after a setting is made, the Timer will return to Engine RPM Display Mode and will display the current rpm.
- When the engine rpm goes over the set value of Warning 1, the backlight will flash red and you will hear short beeps to indicate shift timing.
- When the engine rpm goes over the set value of Warning 2, the backlight will turn red and you will hear a long beep to indicate the rpm warning.
- The setting value for Warning 1 cannot exceed the setting value for Warning 2.
- If the [S] switch is pressed while the warning function is in effect, the warning function will turn OFF.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 02:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well that kicks ***!
Old Jul 5, 2004, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

You won't over rev the engine cuz the ECU has a rev limiter. I believe it kicks in at 7700 rpm. The mitsubishi engineers set it there w/ a safety cushion, so I wouldn't worry too much about going just a little past redline.

I guess I've been driving DSMs long enough to have a gut feeling of when to shift. I can feel when the power starts tapering off up top to know when to shift. It just takes getting used to the car. I bought a shift light for my first DSM and hardly ever used it.