Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sparco Evo Harness Bars

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sparco Evo Harness Bars

i was bored so i emailed sparco about there harness bar for the evo. we have the seats, why not have the harness installed correctly, not to the floor. this is what they emailed back.

Jon,
Thank you for your interest in the new Harness Bar line. I have great
news, we are in the final stages of development before production of the
Evo harness bar. The harness bars should be available by September if
all goes well. We have been getting a huge response from the Evo
community and I expect the initial batch to be sold out. In fact we
already have the part numbers available if you would like to pre-order
them from any if our dealers.

Here are the part numbers:
Gunmetal Gray #30018G
Silver #30018S

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Alan Viado
Sparco USA
1852 Kaiser Ave.
Irvine, CA 92614
Tel. 800-224-7223
Fax. 949-797-1755
www.sparcousa.com
Old Jul 16, 2004, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Sparco Harness bar

I saw the advertisment in SCC and thought good job about time they came up with something like that, now I can go ahead and remove my airbomb (I mean Airbag) and install 5 point harnesses and change my steering wheel over to a nice suede and leather Momo with the detachable steering adapter, like they use in Nascar and F1,
That will also act as additional anti theft.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:46 PM

i wouldnt get a harness without a rollcage because if u flip ur car, ur gonna break your neck...
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoVIII_4g63
i wouldnt get a harness without a rollcage because if u flip ur car, ur gonna break your neck...
why do you say that?
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8HKS
why do you say that?
cause w/ a harness, your body is stuck in that completely upright position w/ no additional support for your roof..... so what happens if you're stuck w/ your head up and the roof collapses?! bad news....
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

why do you say that?
In the event of a rollover, the seat can't completely collapse (with your body attached to it) if there is a fatty bar right behind you. Instead, you will probably hear the pleasant sound of your back crunching and breaking into two pieces, while you think to yourself, "did i really need this harness bar?"
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

september!??!? so long!!!
Old Jul 17, 2004, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Not entirely true

I had an Accident in '98 where I had Recaro seats, No harnesses though or a roll cage, just a standard seat belt, I flipped my car 3 times at 80mph, I got out to tell the tale, just a slight cut to my head that was it.
The car also had a sunroof, but it didn't break believe it or not, although there was a definite dent on the drivers side roof, and the whole floor pan both Passenger and drivers sides were severly buckled, which raised the seats slightly, about 1/2 inch
Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evoVIII_4g63
why do you say that?
Originally Posted by Buckkaaaa!!
cause w/ a harness, your body is stuck in that completely upright position w/ no additional support for your roof..... so what happens if you're stuck w/ your head up and the roof collapses?! bad news....
Not only that, but the Evo's seats are missing the all-important 5th slot. So you can't safely use an anti-sub strap with the stock Recaros. And a 4-point harness is suicide...with or without a cage.

Not only will a rollover be more deadly, but you may be in worse shape in a high-speed frontal impact than you would be with a standard inertia reel 3-point belt.

Emre
Old Jul 18, 2004, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Not only that, but the Evo's seats are missing the all-important 5th slot. So you can't safely use an anti-sub strap with the stock Recaros. And a 4-point harness is suicide...with or without a cage.

Not only will a rollover be more deadly, but you may be in worse shape in a high-speed frontal impact than you would be with a standard inertia reel 3-point belt.

Emre
No disrespect, but do you really think that a company like SPARCO would manufactuer and sell a product that could INCREASE your chances of being hurt???

SPARCO's theme is "Passion, Performance, SAFETY"

I will buy the SPARCO harness bar, and use the SPARCO belts. I believe a company with a worldwide racing and safety heritige can protect myself and my passengers.

I have seen the harness bar in a STI where the owner uses it on SCCA events.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 01:52 PM

Why don't you get a Schroth belt with ASM. I have them in my 318ti and they are great. The inboard shoulder belt has an additional flap of material that releases in an accident which allows you to lean forward and down enough to clear the roof and also prevent you from submarining. They are DOT certified and also a dealer option on BMW/Porsche/Audi in europe. With the quick fit option you can revert back to stock in 10sec.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO
No disrespect, but do you really think that a company like SPARCO would manufactuer and sell a product that could INCREASE your chances of being hurt???

SPARCO's theme is "Passion, Performance, SAFETY"
It doesn't matter what Sparco's motto is. A 4-point, 2" harness with harness bar is unsafe for high-speed track use. That's a fact.

Ever see a professional racer use them? Ever wonder why they're specifically disallowed by every race sanctioning body in the world? The minimum standard for a harness is a 3" wide, 5-point system with a quick-release mechanism (either cam-lock or latch-n-link). And it must be attached to a rollcage with a minimum of 4-points (usually 6-points).

I will buy the SPARCO harness bar, and use the SPARCO belts. I believe a company with a worldwide racing and safety heritige can protect myself and my passengers.
Fine. Then get real Sparco equipment. The kind that's actually used by race teams...not Sparco's "tuner" line. There is no "racing heritage" associated with harness bars and 2" 4-point restraint systems.

I have seen the harness bar in a STI where the owner uses it on SCCA events.
You must have seen a car doing Solo 2 (autocross). That's the only place where 2" non-quick-release belts and harness bars are allowed. The SCCA feels the risk of rollover is slim and speeds are so slow that high-speed impact is not an issue. But even the SCCA will tell you that they consider these systems driver restraints (i.e., keeps you in the seat) and not safety equipment (i.e., protects you in a crash).

Emre
Old Jul 18, 2004, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emre, you must be really well versed in racing, I must admit that I only go to club track days/ lapping, none competition events. While your experience is a wonderful resource I wonder if your statements could be a little overwhelming to those who like me only track their cars at club lapping events. Indeed safety is the ultimate worry but I wonder if we might be over doing it when we paint true racing and club lapping together.
The clubs I track with seem happy to see harness bars and three or four point harness with or without a roll cage. Indeed as you might imagine few cars are equiped with a role bar as these are by and large modified street cars.

For a driver like me who enjoys the limited track time I can get the use of a good seat and a better seat belt / harness was important. Have I insured my death, no more so than all the other risks we take as human beings. Would I suggest to another driver that he might want a role bar.. sure, would I make it mandatory.. no.
Nevertheless I look forward to your knowledgable posts.
Bruce
Old Jul 18, 2004, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nothere
Emre, you must be really well versed in racing
I guess so. I'm a driving instructor with the BMW CCA and I've been doing this for years. I've modifed a couple of cars for track use. Most of my friends are pro or semi-pro road and rally racers. Plus, I'm a doctor and used to work in a major trauma center where we got lots and lots of highway accidents.

So, I've studied safety equipment pretty extensively. I've personally had a high-speed "incident" on the track years ago. I ended up with a wrecked car, but I walked away from it. And I've seen quite a few serious and not-so-serious accidents. That sort of experience makes you pretty **** about safety equipment!

If you study how a 3-point inertia reel seatbelt works and compare it to how a fixed 4-point system works...you can't help but conclude that this "upgrade" does more harm than good. Apparently all race sanctioning bodies agree since these things are specifically outlawed. The only exception is a low-speed, low-risk event like Solo 2. But anytime speeds get high enough that collision or rollover is possible...stay away.

I must admit that I only go to club track days/ lapping, none competition events. While your experience is a wonderful resource I wonder if your statements could be a little overwhelming to those who like me only track their cars at club lapping events.
Driving on a track is driving on a track. Whether you're racing, doing a driving school, or just lapping your speeds will be high enough that you need to consider how you approach safety equipment.

The point of my post was just to make it clear to people that 2 inch, 4-point belts attached to harness bars are only designed to keep the driver in their seats. They are NOT safety equipment, but simply restraint systems. People don't always seem to understand that.

For a driver like me who enjoys the limited track time I can get the use of a good seat and a better seat belt / harness was important.
I think you'd be better off with stock seats and belts. Unless you're prepared to add a basic roll-bar and proper 5-point harness, you will be increasing your risk of abdominal injuries and neurotrauma.

Emre
Old Jul 18, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Did I read your post right we have the seats why not the harness bar. Unless you added Sparco seats to your Evo. I know mine and everyother Evo came with Recaro's.....

Quick Reply: Sparco Evo Harness Bars