Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Illegal Exhaust Part 2: The POPO is back, and dumber than ever.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
automotive profiling man.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all dont let the "bad" or "stupid" cops give all cops a bad name. I am a Deputy Sheriff and believe me I am not like this guy who cited you. One thing I drive an Evo and love fast cars and the sport of racing.

This officer clearly has some problems and if I were you I would make a complaint with his supervisor and take the ticket to court. Plead not guilty and have it go to trial. There is no way you could lose the case and by going to trial you will make that officer look like a dumb ***.

I would make my main complaint on the profiling part. This is illegal for officers to do. Profiling is why you were stopped and this is a vaild complaint.

Good luck to you and have fun with your Evo!
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by chrisw
just another reason I move away from that flucked up state....

now we know why there's a West Virginia
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Here in Boise Idaho, the law is written that any aftermarket exhaust components, quieter or louder, are illegal. if you want to get to the nuts and bolts, a midas exhaust is illegal due to it not being the EXACT factory spec. it is very unfortunate that the officers here choose to "selectively" enforce the law, picking out imports and ignoring muscle cars and harleys(granted there are some imports that need policing). you can fight the ticket, as my rnr exhaust doesn't sound much louder than stock, but the bottom line here is that you are guilty if it is not the factory stock system. the burden of proof lies in proving it is not aftermarket, not in them proving it is.

sad but true....
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
That may be true in your state. But it is certainly not true in VA. The law is very general in VA and it more or less states that any exhaust that is louder than stock is illegal....whether it be 50db or 1db louder.

zstryder. Put your stock exhaust back on and bring it to court to show that you are running the oem unit. And while you have the JIC system removed, paint it with some good flat black high temp paint. It works wonders and makes the exhaust look stock enough that the VA cops won't pull you over.

SC~
After Chris said he'd do it to his exhaust, I've been thinking about doing that for awhile. I'm not exactly a good painter, though. Can I simply just slap on a layer of high temp black paint? Or do I need to prep the surface with something beforehand?

Anyway, when I got pulled over the first time, Chris and I went around at a meet using a decibel meter to measure exhaust volumes. My silenced JIC was literally 1-2dB over stock. As the officer read the law to me, he says any aftermarket exhaust louder than factory is illegal. So apparently as long as I can prove that this is "factory exhaust" volume then I'm off the hook.

Of course, when I mentioned that the stock exhaust was this loud, he made some kind of statement about having factory exhausts this loud being illegal. He then said that it's my responsibility to somehow know this, so that I can go and get the muffler replaced to so that it actually "muffles" the exhaust sound as opposed to "making it echo louder."

I swear, it's not like NOVA is a backwater area at all, but I think all the ricers in this area have somehow ticked off the cops one way or another, so now profiling is done all too often, on a normal basis.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 509EVO
First of all dont let the "bad" or "stupid" cops give all cops a bad name. I am a Deputy Sheriff and believe me I am not like this guy who cited you. One thing I drive an Evo and love fast cars and the sport of racing.

This officer clearly has some problems and if I were you I would make a complaint with his supervisor and take the ticket to court. Plead not guilty and have it go to trial. There is no way you could lose the case and by going to trial you will make that officer look like a dumb ***.

I would make my main complaint on the profiling part. This is illegal for officers to do. Profiling is why you were stopped and this is a vaild complaint.

Good luck to you and have fun with your Evo!
I'm not saying all cops are bad - I'm sure some do their job. BUT, the ones that take the time to pull me over for something insignificant like this are the stupid ones. I'm sure you know this too.

I do in fact plan on filing a complaint with his department. I don't think this has any affect on the outcome of my case, but at least I can get his commanding officer on his case for profiling/discrimination.

Would you happen to know the exact wording on the laws about profiling vehicles?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

hey help me out guys. I got a exhaust ticket a while ago and the cop marked it NON fixable. the fine is $111 dollars. How can i fight this to make it fixable. I changed my exhaust and got it signed off by the chp. But i dun wanna pay a $111 fine. What do i do?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Speaking of which, do performance or car shops have notaries where I can get stuff stamped? Such as, decibel readings for an exhaust? Or could I have a guy at the bank do it even if has nothing to do with money/property?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XRS-Lift
hey help me out guys. I got a exhaust ticket a while ago and the cop marked it NON fixable. the fine is $111 dollars. How can i fight this to make it fixable. I changed my exhaust and got it signed off by the chp. But i dun wanna pay a $111 fine. What do i do?
it should of been marked fixable..if you already had the CHP sign it off, just mail it in..you should be fine.. the $111 is what you'd have to pay if you didn't get it fixed...
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

1. Your bank will notarise anything you want. It doesn't have to relate to money or property. All the notary does is prove the identity of the parties involved and the date the document was signed. They have no control over the actual content.

2. In VA, this is the law:

An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.
In summary, if your aftermarket exhaust makes more noise than your stock exhaust under any engine load and anywhere in the rev range, you're guilty.

Note that localities also have jurisdiction over the excessive noise ordinance. They can even find some factory exhaust systems to be illegal to operate under their jurisdiction.

3. I believe that it is futile to speak to a police officer unless spoken to. Just give them what they want and be on your way. Trying to reason with them is a lost cause.

4. You're probably better off just paying the ticket and send in a copy of a statement by a shop certifying that the stock equipment has been installed. I'll lend you my stock exhaust system for you to get your certification if necessary.

It is not a moving violation, so you may end up losing more time and money by fighting it.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

I've still got my stock exhaust, so I could slap it on, go to the dealership, and have them sign it off that my exhaust is still stock. But still, it is a complete pain in the ****. I paid off the fine the first time, but I don't want to pay it again. It's like paying an extra $20/mo to simply drive my car around town.

If I can fight this and win, then I would set a precedent for all the guys in DCEvoClub, which would be the best scenario by far.

So far, I can provide dB readings, get a dealer to sign off my exhaust as stock. And as someone suggested, take some videos of other cars that are loud *** ***** at idle (i.e., American cars with big engines). Would that be enough evidence to throw off this officer's clearly subjective reasoning?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:51 PM

The law in Wisconsin is the same as Idaho; basically we cannot have any exhaust other than the stock one.

I got a ticket a month ago and my date is coming up soon. I plan on fighting this ticket because this law is far to vague.

I have been communicating with the Chief of Police in West Allis, WI and this guy could care less about the problem of import profiling. I am going to fill out a public records request so I can see the specific cars given these tickets. Now if you know West Allis, you know this is probably the most densely populated region in the world with Harley's! We need more cops that don't suffer from erectile dysfunction or mouse-itis of the shlong! Remember that jock from high school that you always knew would be a professional a**hole, well now he's your local flat foot!
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

It's sad these exhaust "laws" are in place. The law is only in place to harass citizens, generate revenue and give cops a reason to pull over vehicles. Harley motorcycles can be super loud yet performance enthusiasts are profiled and ticketed.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Proving that other cars are loud from the factory is not a good move. They only compare to the stock muffler to the modified muffler on the same model. Even if you make your point, it doesn't prove anything due to the wording of the law.

If you want to compare stock exhaust noise, just have them take readings with the stock and aftermarket exhaust and compare notes. I will line up but I will also have to reinstall my stock exhaust, which will defeat the purpose.

It doesn't take that long to swap the exhaust. Just do it.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=zstryder]After Chris said he'd do it to his exhaust, I've been thinking about doing that for awhile. I'm not exactly a good painter, though. Can I simply just slap on a layer of high temp black paint? Or do I need to prep the surface with something beforehand?

Anyway, when I got pulled over the first time, Chris and I went around at a meet using a decibel meter to measure exhaust volumes. My silenced JIC was literally 1-2dB over stock. As the officer read the law to me, he says any aftermarket exhaust louder than factory is illegal. So apparently as long as I can prove that this is "factory exhaust" volume then I'm off the hook. [END QUOTE]

I feel it my duty to point out that 3 dB louder is twice as loud; ie., 93 dB is twice as loud to the human ear as 90 dB.

End of physics lesson.

Quick Reply: Illegal Exhaust Part 2: The POPO is back, and dumber than ever.