Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mitsu not covering broken fan causing pierced radiator

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mitsu not covering broken fan causing pierced radiator

a good friend and i both have evo's and we love them to death. my friend bought his less than a month ago and it is bone stock. earlier this week his car broke down because under full throttle the radiator fan bracket snapped and ended up getting wedged into the radiator causing it to have a decent sized hole in it. he wasnt so pissed about that because he figured that mitsu would cover it under warrenty seing how it is brand new and unmodified. well after he came back from mitsu he was very pissed off, mitsu denied him for being covered under warrenty stating that it was his fault the fan snapped, now he has a 1400 bill and hes pretty tight on cash. i was wondering if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone could point him in the right direction to bring this to court. thanks alot for any help.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

F**k that I'd be callin my lawyer. How can they claim it to be his fault?
Old Sep 2, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I can't see how it was his fault that it snapped. Did they give a reason as to why they thought it was his fault?
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

That's really focked. There is no way I would be paying that, those cars are made to be under full throttle so how the hell can mitsu prove its his fault??? Damn I'd be pissed as hell.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:01 PM

really man.. that does sounds crazy.. it seems like EVO's dont even get warranty's now.. lol

cant he go to another dealership and see if they will take it?
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Just have him take it to another dealership... that one's obviously not reputable. Any
Mitsu dealership is effectively responsible for warranty work, not just the one you bought it from. And the lawyer route is too expensive.
-N
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, that really doesnt make sense. Under any type of throttle the fan should have not broken. Even if your friend had mods to his car it would not have any direct relation to the bracket failing, unless the car had so much power that the whole frame twisted(that would be most unlikely). I would push the issue with a rep or hey take them to court and teach them a leason. It will end up costing them a whole lot more if it went to court and I cant see where they would win on this.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

WTF. Take it to another dealer cuz that is total b.s.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

We need to start a sticky of bogus warranty claims and name the dealer so we can track which dealers are trying to screw us over.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Well before everyone goes running to a lawyer, perhaps a simple phone call and meeting would work.

The dealer has to prove why what he was doing broke the car before denying warranty work.

Else, you can take it to another dealer and see what they say.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by value
We need to start a sticky of bogus warranty claims and name the dealer so we can track which dealers are trying to screw us over.
yeah and we can atleast see really how rediculous this warranty thing is getting
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

What's odd is the dealer not wanting to do warranty work. Why?

Warranty work doesn't cost the dealership a dime except in the short term. They order the parts, perform the labor, and file a claim with Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi then refunds the dealership in full. Considering labor is covered by Mitsubishi, this is somewhat free income for the deaerlship.

The only things I can think of are:

A) The dealership doesn't want to handle the short term cost of the parts
B) The dealership has filed too many Evolution claims and are worried for some reason the claim will end up being denied
C) They're just idiots

Take it to another dealership. Though if you get denied everywhere simply for being WOT, contact a lawyer, and write a nice formal letter to the automotive magazine editors explaining your dilemma -- if it's ridiculous enough, it'll get covered.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by value
I'll second this. This is a really good idea. I'm sure we'll be able to see a pattern of which stealerships are the ones consistantly denying warranties due to bogus reasons.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

i talked to him today and i told him what all of you guys have been saying, he is bringing it to another dealership in the area soon, but if they claim the same thing then he will be calling his lawyer.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 03:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
know what I saw something similar happen to a girl at a mitsu dealership with her newer eclipse, fan blade completely broke of and launched into the radiator putting a big *** hole in it, warranty claim denied.

Quick Reply: mitsu not covering broken fan causing pierced radiator