EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   My wipers are driving me crazy...help! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/313115-my-wipers-driving-me-crazy-help.html)

Canexican Dec 13, 2007 11:24 AM

My wipers are driving me crazy...help!

Ok, when i turn on my wipers, they wont stop. I'll set them to intermittent, but they decide they don't want to pause and then just stay constant. Then, when I go to turn them off, they don't turn off. They just keep wiping and I keep cursing. The only way to turn the off is to turn the engine off. But, as soon as I use them for just one wipe - they keep going. To top it off, today, for no apparent reason, my right turn signal arrow just stayed lit. Then would turn off momentarily and stay lit for awhile. Then it just stayed off. I must have an electrical gremlin somewhere, but I have no idea how to fix this.

I've searched and found no solution to this problem...just the fact that others have also had the same problem. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Its really starting to piss me off :helpme: .

TeStUdO Dec 13, 2007 11:25 AM

Did you buy your car used? It might have been in an accident. i.e. airbag deployed, shop messed up steering column electronics.

ZLevo8 Dec 13, 2007 11:26 AM

***** about it that helps! lol just kidding check and make sure you dont have a loose wire thats hittin the chassis somewhere also be sure to check every fuse you have and if you have a multimeter you can test out the voltage coming from the fuse to the motors and check and make sure that its accurate. but it sounds to me as if you have a short somewhere man. one of those search and destroy missions i had one in my last ride with the blinker it was a *****

Canexican Dec 13, 2007 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ZLevo8 (Post 5052264)
***** about it that helps! lol just kidding check and make sure you dont have a loose wire thats hittin the chassis somewhere also be sure to check every fuse you have and if you have a multimeter you can test out the voltage coming from the fuse to the motors and check and make sure that its accurate. but it sounds to me as if you have a short somewhere man. one of those search and destroy missions i had one in my last ride with the blinker it was a *****

I absolutely hate it when sh*t like this happens. No loose wires from what I've seen.

Canexican Dec 13, 2007 04:14 PM

Does anyone else have any advice for my posessed wipers!?

gsrboi80 Dec 13, 2007 04:31 PM

Get your solder gun out. Common problem. Remove your drivers side kick panel to the left of your feet. You'll see a bunch of plugs in a White cage of sorts. The big white connector and the green under it are your culprits.

What happens is there is a harness that goes from your engine compartment out then back in through the inner fender and into the cabin. These are wires related to dash functiond ie. Wipers, Lights etc.

What is happening here is that water is travelling from outside throug the cowl drain and onto that harness traveling down the harness to the connector in turn corroding you pins.

Unpin the entire white and green connector and hard solder the wires together Oh and do yourself a huge favor and silicone up where the harness goes through into the cabin. Easy to access by removing the plastic wheel housing

gsrboi80 Dec 13, 2007 04:32 PM

PM me if you need further assistance I can give you my # and chat with you about it

CrackerJackToy Dec 13, 2007 04:39 PM

LOL

Mine are worn out... they make scrunching noises :(

Canexican Dec 13, 2007 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80 (Post 5053527)
PM me if you need further assistance I can give you my # and chat with you about it

Wow, thanks dude. As soon as I can get over to my buddy's garage, i'll give it a try. I'm probably not gonna be able to get to it for a few days as I'm working constantly, but if you could PM me your number in case I get stuck on what i'm supposed to do, that would be great. Thanks man. Greatly appreciated {thumbup} .

gsrboi80 Dec 13, 2007 04:51 PM

You have PM man

Silver06evo9mr Dec 13, 2007 04:53 PM

dont you have a warrenty?!?!?! use it

gsrboi80 Dec 13, 2007 05:06 PM

To be honest with you I wouldnt trust most Mitsu techs to fix this right. You'll have a much less headache fixing it yourself or with somone who can.

Canexican Dec 14, 2007 10:29 AM

Well, just thought i'd give an update to this problem as it has gone from a wiper malfunction to a huge electrical nightmare:

Got up for work and tried starting the car. Before even putting the ignition in the car, i noticed the amber lights were already fluctuating dimness slightly. I thought, "oh sh*t." So, put the key in, turn it, and the starter was cranking...but nothing was happening. I did it again and looked at the volt meter - 12 volts. After some head-scratching and multiple tries that turned into incessant cursing I gave up. I even tried to have someone jump me - that didnt work. Car was flat-bedded to Baierl Mitsubishi in Wexford, PA. They have an "Evo Tech" there that apparently knows what he is doing :crap: .

Here is the best part, they are telling me that I could be screwed since this had an aftermarket starter insalled prior to my ownership - over 20k miles ago. If they try to screw me on the warranty, I'm gonna go ballistic :rant: . I'll keep you guys posted...

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE AN EVO THAT SITS OUTSIDE IN THE RAIN ON A REGULAR BASIS AND YOUR WIPERS START ACTING UP...WATER COULD BE MESSING WITH YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM...GET IT FIXED QUICKLY!

TeStUdO Dec 14, 2007 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Canexican (Post 5056006)
Well, just thought i'd give an update to this problem as it has gone from a wiper malfunction to a huge electrical nightmare:

Got up for work and tried starting the car. Before even putting the ignition in the car, i noticed the amber lights were already fluctuating dimness slightly. I thought, "oh sh*t." So, put the key in, turn it, and the starter was cranking...but nothing was happening. I did it again and looked at the volt meter - 12 volts. After some head-scratching and multiple tries that turned into incessant cursing I gave up. I even tried to have someone jump me - that didnt work. Car was flat-bedded to Baierl Mitsubishi in Wexford, PA. They have an "Evo Tech" there that apparently knows what he is doing :crap: .

Here is the best part, they are telling me that I could be screwed since this had an aftermarket starter insalled prior to my ownership - over 20k miles ago. If they try to screw me on the warranty, I'm gonna go ballistic :rant: . I'll keep you guys posted...

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE AN EVO THAT SITS OUTSIDE IN THE RAIN ON A REGULAR BASIS AND YOUR WIPERS START ACTING UP...WATER COULD BE MESSING WITH YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM...GET IT FIXED QUICKLY!

Refer to my previous post. Im pretty sure your car was in an accident and was repaired inproperly.

Canexican Dec 14, 2007 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by TeStUdO (Post 5056013)
Refer to my previous post. Im pretty sure your car was in an accident and was repaired inproperly.

It wasnt in an accident...