EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   My wipers are driving me crazy...help! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/313115-my-wipers-driving-me-crazy-help.html)

kilgoja Dec 16, 2007 07:28 PM

oh that's the outside...lol...no wonder they look different...i guess i should read a little bit closer huh...oopps

well i took the plastic kick plate off on the inside and checked all of my wire plugs....they all look brand new...no corrosion...just shiny silver..guess i am lucky...i'll keep an eye on it from time to time...everyone should check theirs

are mitsu engineers that stupid?...i mean why not just run the wires through the firewall rather than out the fender then back in through the fender...oh well no problems on mine so far

this drain cowl...where exactly is that...on the bottom right corner of the window?...my fender has a lip on it where the water would go and directs it into the engine area keeping it from going behind the fender...maybe a massive down pour would overflow the lip...i dunno

850glt Dec 16, 2007 09:28 PM

I will call my mechanic first thing tomorrow (car was already towed there). I had the same exact issue with the wipers going on by themselves and various lights staying on when they shouldnt have. I'll let you guys know if this fixes it.

kilgoja Dec 16, 2007 10:49 PM

found this in another thread...a recall..dunno if it's the same spot

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33419

Canexican Dec 17, 2007 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 850glt (Post 5063014)
I will call my mechanic first thing tomorrow (car was already towed there). I had the same exact issue with the wipers going on by themselves and various lights staying on when they shouldnt have. I'll let you guys know if this fixes it.

Yeah, let us know how it turns out man...good luck.

Originally Posted by kilgoja (Post 5063213)
found this in another thread...a recall..dunno if it's the same spot

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33419

Well, that is certainly interesting. Its the same thing that happened to me in my IX. I would imagine that recall would have been dealt with in the VIII's. But who knows, its Mitsubishi, anything is possible.

MR Turco Dec 17, 2007 12:17 PM

This is really scary considering how much snow we have been getting. I will have to look into this.

850glt Dec 17, 2007 05:10 PM

Well, I just got my car back and the connecter was indeed the culprit. It was COMPLETELY corroded (I will post pics tomorrow). My mechanic did exactly what was done in the pics on page 3. Be warned though, this isnt as easy as it seems as the colors dont match on the connecter (they didnt on mine at least).

Regardless, thanks for your help everyone... this thread should really be stickied - if you have electrical hiccups or your car doesnt start ESPECIALLY after rain/snow there is a 99% chance this is why.

Canexican Dec 17, 2007 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 850glt (Post 5066004)
Well, I just got my car back and the connecter was indeed the culprit. It was COMPLETELY corroded (I will post pics tomorrow). My mechanic did exactly what was done in the pics on page 3. Be warned though, this isnt as easy as it seems as the colors dont match on the connecter (they didnt on mine at least).

Regardless, thanks for your help everyone... this thread should really be stickied - if you have electrical hiccups or your car doesnt start ESPECIALLY after rain/snow there is a 99% chance this is why.

I agree with the sticky idea. This is very serious as the car is inoperable when it occurs and there are warning signs to help prevent it. I've seen alot of posts about people having similar symptoms with their cars and have not had good responses as to what the culprit is. I'm just glad that GSRboi was kind enough to let me know exactly what was happening with my car...otherwise I would have probably never figured it out. Where's a mod, lets stick this.

gsrboi80 Dec 18, 2007 04:55 AM

Glad I could help

06MRV8Killer Jan 3, 2008 08:05 AM

gsrboi80 - Very good infromation. This is on the passanger side or the drivers side?

I also read something about the grommet that they run the boost gauge vaccum hose through in the RS and MR having the same problem and causing water to get inside the cabin as well. Does anyone know anything about this?

gsrboi80 Jan 3, 2008 08:39 AM

This is on the drivers side. What you are refering to is indeed on the passenger side. That was allowing water to soak the carpet.

This issue however directly effects the harness/plugs behind that drivers side kick panel by your left calf :D

If you follow that harness up you will see it goes through the inner fender and into the engine compartment. Simply remove the rear half of you drivers side plastic fender well (From the outside) and you will se the harness

06MRV8Killer Jan 3, 2008 09:10 AM

Ok got it, that bish is gettin selaed up this weekend! thanks again

kilgoja Jan 3, 2008 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer (Post 5113075)
gsrboi80 - Very good infromation. This is on the passanger side or the drivers side?

I also read something about the grommet that they run the boost gauge vaccum hose through in the RS and MR having the same problem and causing water to get inside the cabin as well. Does anyone know anything about this?

where does this come into the car at?...i haven't noticed any wet carpet...just want to know so i can also keep an eye on that one

gsrboi80 Jan 3, 2008 03:59 PM

Follow the lines for you factory Boost gauge where that goes through on the passenger side is where most have seen the water on the floor .

The corroded pin problem is the harness behind the front drivers fender accessed easily by removing the back half or so of the drivers front plastic inner fender well youll see it go through into the inside cabin

fkw958 Feb 6, 2008 06:34 AM

Sorry for bumping this old thread. I had the wiper problem a few days ago so I went ahead and looked at the top left connector (the big white one). The 4 bottom wires were corroded so I hard wired those and removed the connector from the bracket and tucked them somewhere higher up so water won't end up in the connector. I didn't have time to properly seal up that grommet or look at other connectors because it was snowing like xxxx. Now this morning my right turn signal is acting up. Its constantly on but not blinking. When i turn the switch it alternates between bright and dim but does not completely go off. I just want to make sure this is also because of the water through the grommet. If it is then i'll just get some silicone and head to my mechanic this afternoon after work. Thanks in advance!

gsrboi80 Feb 6, 2008 06:56 AM

Youll need to hard solder all of the wires mainly in the big white and black connectors to ensure no problems in the future and yes seal up the grommet ASAP