Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2005, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)

Welcome to evo81's how-to on relocating the stock evo battery to your trunk.i purchased this relocation kit from www.summitracing.com . the kit is made by Taylor. here's a direct link http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp .

here's a list of tools that are needed
10mm socket/wretch
12mm socket/wretch
9/16 socket/wretch
ratchet/extention
drill
3/8 drill bit
eletrical tape
wire loom(if you want)
sandpaper
marker/pen
tape measure(or can measure by eye)
zip ties
wire snipper

now,let's get down to business

1.pop your hood,trunk,and remove your bottom of your rear seat.there should be 2 hooks under the seat.pull towards you,and it should come right out.pull out all of your trunk lining(lots of little push in clips),so it'll make it easier to route the wires.at this time also open the doors on the passenger side,and take off the rear/front panels along with the B pillar plus front kick panel.you'll be running the 2 gauge wire though there soon.

2.go to the front of your car,and take of the negative battery post first(10mm).pop off your positive cap,and take off the 12mm(on top of post) while you still have the battery in place,and tied down.once undone,take the 10mm,and unhook the positive.now took the 10mm,and untie the battery tie hooks.everything should be out of the way,and you should be able to take out the battery.put the battery if you want,put in the back for now since it'll be it's new home when this project is done.

3.the battery tray has 1 10mm bolt,and 2 12mm bolts/nuts holding it in.unbolt them,and slide the tray out.the tray is connected to some tie straps some undo them or cut them like i did.

4.take one of the new trays from the kit,and find a spot where you want your battery to be placed at.i went with the driver side of the car towards the rear.once you have the place that you want it be at,take a pen/marker,and mark the holes that are already pre drilled in the tray.i also used a tape measure to kinda get it even.but it really came down to an eye look for looking as straight as can be.before drilling,make sure that where you are drilling there is nothing that your going to drill into that can get damage.used a 3/8 drill bit,and drill your holes.remove the plastic film.if your putting the trunk carpet back in,cut the holes out,and put it in place before tieing the tray down.

5.once the holes are drilled,put the tie rods in them.take a washer,9/16 nut(included with kit) ,and screw them on the bottom side(under car).go back on top,and screw down another washer/9/16 nut on the tie rods.i did this by myself,but another person is always better to have to help.do this process until it's tight.before putting the battery in,look for the bolt in the side to hook up to the ground.unbolt,and sand the area where the ground will be at.take your new battery tie down,and put battery in it's new home.take the last washer/9/16 nut,and tighted the battery down.looking good so far,unless somehow you have it bolt on the roof of your evo,then your having problems ..............

6.put on the rubber gasket that will be used towards the pos+ connector.it can get a little stuck in area's,but just use some lube to make it slide easier.take the new 2 gauge red wire,and route it to the front of the car along the side where we took off all of the panels on the car.if you want to used wire loom,i would use it now,and put electal tape around it now. on the passenger side there's a plug where your going to run the wire threw.push it in from the engine bay.it's located behind the left front strut.it's tight,but when you get your hand it there,you feel the rubber plug.once it's open,go an feed the 2 gauge wire threw it.run wire along the back to where the battery was at.i hope you took off that 12mm nut on top of the pos+ post or your going to be kicking yourself get it off now.unbolt the other 10mm nut,and set aside.if you want to can cut some of the wire if you think it's too long.strip the wire,and put on the connector that came with the kit.connect all the wires together now.i put the cap back over the pos+,and taped it up.i also cut the neg- cable instead of hiding it.you can tuck it away if you don't want to do that.i would tape it up also if i did that.tie down wire or everything you want to do as where now going to tighten everything from the front back.after everything is done,where all done up front.

7.tuck wire under or along the side panels.use tape/tie straps if you want to tighten the wire as you go.make you way to the back,and put the metal box over the battery.if you took out any trunk interior,now is a good time to put it back in since your almost finish,and you know where the battery is going to stay.get the pos+ lined up,and put it on the battery.tighten the post.grab you neg- 2 gauge wire,and put grommet on it.hook up you neg- to the ground spot,and then put it on the battery,and tie it down.everything should be hooked up now.you should see your trunk light on.if not,you got a problem.go back threw and check everything.if your good let's move on to the clean up.take off all white plastic film,and but the clear plastic tube in the small hole you see.it's for venting.tie down the lid,and use the washer/wing nuts that also come with the kit.put all of the side paneling back on,and you should be all done.

looks pretty good huh? it really isn't that hard to do either.have you enjoyed this install, i know i did.have some after pics of my evo.if you have any questions pm me up anytime

Attached Thumbnails How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-003.jpg   How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-001.jpg   How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-002.jpg   How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-005.jpg   How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-006.jpg  

Old May 6, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

i hope this is sticky worthy
Attached Thumbnails How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-007.jpg   How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-011.jpg   How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-012.jpg   How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-013.jpg   How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)-battery-install-015.jpg  

Old May 6, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Great write up evo81
Old May 7, 2005, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Hot!
Old May 7, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

nice write up
Old May 8, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

About time someone came out with this. I did this a few months back but was too lazy to take pics and do a writeup. Well done.

Also, evo81, the BR mass pipe is sold, sorry.
Old May 8, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice writeup, makes me wanna order this and do it
Old May 8, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

YESSSS!!!!! it was sticky worthy.
thanks y'all
Old May 8, 2005, 07:06 PM

Thumbs up

THats BANANAS!!!!
Old May 10, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice writeup, but cut down the tie down bolts.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For you relocators, you might try these if you want to bling the trunk up:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=19573

These are Phoenix Gold and I think are discontinued, but they have newer models.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 07:28 AM

Nice.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 05:35 PM

Where does the neg cable go to?? i'm confused...
Old Aug 14, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Now you've got a heavy battery with high polar moment BEHIND the rear wheels. I'd recommend to center the battery in front of the rear shock towers if at all possible.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 03:45 PM

So how much does it help to relocate the battery to the trunk?

Quick Reply: How To Install A Taylor Battery Relocation Kit(evo8)