Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

clutch disassemly problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2005, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clutch disassemly problem!!!!

i have gone through every guide, asked techs, and even went through the mitsubishi service manuals. i have gotten to the part where the tranny is only being held on to the block by the tob. first off the reason im doing this at all is because of the tob. i think the tob is siezed. and i cannot pry it away from the pressure plate. i have been stuck on this for about 3 days now. local master tech told me to pull the tranny off and sizzwheel the bearing off but first off i cannot get the tranny off without pushing the tob away. if ANYONE can give me ANY info to help resolve this it is much appreciated. i want to get this done asap so i can also get my car tuned.

thank you all evom members
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:54 PM

OK here we go. I assume the slave cylinder is laready off at this point and you have free access through the bottom inspection hole to the throwout assembly. What you want to do is get a wedge shaped item like a large screwdriver or prybar and insert it through the round inspection hole on the underside of the tranny. You want to put the tip of the wedge inbetween the surface of the TOB and the flat ring connected to the pressure plate. MAKE SURE that you are between the flat ring and the TOB not the wavy spring ring. Now with the tip of your wedge positioned, grap the clutch fork and move it away from the engine, this will cause the TOB to be pressed towards the pressure plate. Hold this compressed as this relieves the pressure that is being used to hold the TOB hostage now TWIST your wedge while applying the inwardpressure and it should pop out. BAM its free. You should now see a gap bvetween the TOB and flat ring. Now separtae and begin living life again. If you still need help call me tomorrow and maybe we can help u more. This will work for all clutches except the RPS

Alfred at Ttech 909-783-1200
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:59 PM

ive run into this problem before. the only way i found around it was to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel. i had to use 1/4 wobbly sockets to get through the fork hole. hope this helps.

randy
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:18 AM

thank you guys for the info i will try later this afternoon and i will try as in order. i will tell ya guys how it goes
Old Oct 6, 2005, 08:07 PM

still same problem cannot get the tob to seperate from the wedge ring. the wedge ring just seems to give and bend and the tob goes no where. also i have a exedy twin is it going to be possible to un bolt from the back off the flywheel (if it even helps).i have gone through the entire forum to see any pointers and i keep getting dead ended. again it is seized because the throwout bearing has failed on me. i think thats the only reason that it wont come off. also in the whole process of this i skipped this step about popping the tob out and went str8 for pulling the tranny off the crossmember. that means my tranny is like 1in away from touching the ground. would there also be a problem if the tranny needs to be realligned back to where it was for the tob to come out? any tip is a helpful tip(besides give up)lol.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can try unbolting the pressure plate bolts one-by-one through the clutch fork opening.