Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt

Any body done a timing belt yet please help me with pics and info!
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

If you are not too sure on what you are doing i would suggest taking it somewhere and getting it done or alot of damage can occur if done wrong. If you still feel you want to do it yourself, PM me.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

I did it last weekend, along with the cams... I didn't take pictures though, so I would only be able to provide you with a write-up done from memory. I was very suprised that no one had done a write-up up to this point, but now I can see why, I was very nervous the entire time I was doing this, because as soon as you release that timing belt your timing is now non-existant. I had to match mark everything, but it worked out good and I didn't have any issues.

I suggest that before you start, you get the grenade pin from mitsubishi, just ask the service manager, they keep a ton of them in the shop, he shouldn't have a problem giving you one. Once you do that, then hit me up, I'll try to find time this week to write up something quick to help you out.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:40 AM

Why would you need a "grenade pin"?
If your not replacing the tensioner, then you can just leave the threaded rod that you use to compress the tensioner in there holding the tensioner in while you swap the belt and any pulleys you are changing.

Just make sure all the timing marks are lined up before you remove the belt, and check them all after you put the new belt on, turn the motor over untill all marks line up again, and check again.

use the DSM procedure at vfaq.com as a guide, many details are slightly different, but it is also very similar in all respects.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyCam
Why would you need a "grenade pin"?
If your not replacing the tensioner, then you can just leave the threaded rod that you use to compress the tensioner in there holding the tensioner in while you swap the belt and any pulleys you are changing.

Just make sure all the timing marks are lined up before you remove the belt, and check them all after you put the new belt on, turn the motor over untill all marks line up again, and check again.

use the DSM procedure at vfaq.com as a guide, many details are slightly different, but it is also very similar in all respects.
Not everyone and their mom has a timing belt tool handy, and I for one didn't want to pay the 20$ or whatever for a stupid tool that I would never use again, much less have it break off in the block and have to fish that out.