Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

how do you crack the cam pulley nuts off ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you crack the cam pulley nuts off ?

how the hell do you do it ?
I have been trying and trying and even made a "thingy" to bolt the spanner on the camshaft to the cyl head to hold it in place ! that just bends !
I can push and push and lever and go mad and get the car to move either backwards at a rapid rate or to wobble uncomfortably off axle stands (tried both) even tried someone in the car holding the brakes down !
I am using either a power bar with 1/4 socket on one end or a long 3 foot tube of steel slipped over this for leverage but it doesnt want to pop off !
what is the alternative ?

take cams out with the pulleys attached and crack the nuts off in the vise ?

help !!!!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Read the evomoto install if you haven't already. Try a large wrench (try to avoid a crescent - but if that's all you have.

AND (don't get mad :-) make sure it's lefty loosey - righty tighty, don't get turn around because you are holding one wrench while turning the other - it can happen.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

It's a *****. I use a breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe on my left shoulder, then with the my 2 hands i use a large cresent wrench, then while holding it i use my legs to kind of stand up while pushing up on the bar with my left shoulder. When it breaks loose it will make you think you broke something but its ok.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I tried an impact gun, didn't break them loose, the way that worked for me was a big friggen wrench with a 4' pipe (as said above) to hold the cam, and a breaker bar on the cam bolt.. Broke it loose pretty easily. Typically this is a two man job but I was able to do it alone in my garage with the breaker bar..

Be real careful about not letting too much slack on the timing belt, and the tensioner tool bottoms out, be careful not to break it... On my car, the belt wasn't stretched much so the tensioner didn't have far to go, and I was able to thread it down by hand and only required a few turns to get the tension off the tensioner.. Just go very slowly, and if its stops turning, its probably far enough, don't force it.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Another suggestion for the Cam Angle Sensor part.. Don't remove the bolt and sensor, remove it with the cams, when you get the bearing caps off, MARK THE END OF THE THING THATS ATTACHED TO THE CAMSHAFT FACING UP.. it will make it real easy to reassemble afterwards since you won't put the cam angle sensor back 180 degrees out of phase if you mark it.

I went real slow on my first install and checked everything to make sure I had no problems, but I can probably do a cam swap in about an hour or two if I had an extra set of hands helping out.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 03:23 PM

thanks for the help - jobs almost done

I used a 3inch internal diameter pipe about 4ft long and kapoooow I thought something broke as they cracked off

Job done
now she wont start.....I am thinking I put the coil packs back wrong
I got the cam angle sensor 100% correct
is it possible to put coil packs on wrong ?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

okay.. The coils aren't easy to hook up wrong, since the coils basically fit "one way" and as long as you didnt remove the wires you basically can put it back in.. but the coils are 1-4 and 2-3..

Make sure the cam angle sensor, and crank angle sensor is reconnected (look at the rear left of your valvecover, make sure the connector is reconnected.. 90% of the time thats why the car won't start.. Were you careful with your cam gears? Did you mark the TDC marks on the belt and ziptie everything securely? Did you make sure you didn't dip the gears so it doesnt slip on the lower portion?

Odds are you didn't reconnect something, probably the crank sensor..
Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:58 PM

you can use impact tools which may be super easy or you'll need a cam gear holding tool which will keep the cam gears from moving then break the 17mm nut lose and thats it piece of cake
Old Apr 30, 2006, 07:16 PM

Where can I get this gear holding tool?