Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

HELP! can't get the fill plug off!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP! can't get the fill plug off!

I'm trying to change my gearbox fluid and drained the oil and everything but I can't get the fill plug to come off. It's the correct one and i'm pushing down on the rachet. I've been using a 18" hollow pipe for extra leverage on the rachet but it still won't budge. I've been at this for over an hour and it just won't move. Any ideas?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, I tried to get mine off too, and I couldn't get it off, I ended up taking it to the shop and told them to toque it down by hand after they changed the fluid.

But luckily, I had a feeling this would be a problem, so I tried to unbolt my fill plug first before I drained anything so that way I could still drive in case I couldn't get it off. sorry for you luck.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:07 PM

get the rite size wrench, get it in place and whack it with something. you need the sharp impact
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
man, I tried to get mine off too, and I couldn't get it off, I ended up taking it to the shop and told them to toque it down by hand after they changed the fluid.

But luckily, I had a feeling this would be a problem, so I tried to unbolt my fill plug first before I drained anything so that way I could still drive in case I couldn't get it off. sorry for you luck.
Yeah the manual says to take the fill plug off first, and so does ::aheam::common sense::ahem:: but now you know this. My advice would be to soak in WD40 for a while and try again. Since the housing is aluminum, be careful!!!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

I just needed more torque and leverage when I tried to unbolt it. The problem was my car was on jacks...so I was laying on my back...If my car was on a lift and the transmission/t-case over my head I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it off standing on my feet.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

With a proper length 1/2" breaker bar you should be able to easily apply enough torque to snap the head off the bolt. The one I used is about 2' long
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can often loosen a stubborn bolt with a good quality six point wrench and a hammer. Just hold the wrench on the bolt (good six point wrenches and sockets grab on the flats, not the corners of the bolt), and strike it a sharp blow with the hammer. Comes off easy.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

LOL this thread is old for such urgency, I hope bluebanana23 isn't still in his garage waiting for us to post his magical solution And as for the hammer-and-wrench, that might work but coming from an aviation background, one would never do that! Might introduce stress cracks to the aluminum housing that would spread with fatigue and cause part failure...

Last edited by machron1; Jun 29, 2006 at 12:50 PM.