Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Car in shambles due to DP...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car in shambles due to DP...

Can someone please explain to me why the TurboXS exhaust I am trying to install won't fit?? I just bought it off of someone who had it on their car less than a week ago. Same car, same bolts, same everything. The bolts used to put the down pipe into the O2 housing won't reach the O2 housing enough to be threaded on. Did I miss some step? There's nothing else to put on there... Are the springs not supposed to get used?

Help anyone?? Been working on it for a good 2 hours now trying to smoosh it up there in a lot of different ways. PLEASE HELP!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are supposed to use new bolts to connect an aftermarket downpipe.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I might be like I have found with some downpipes it needs a flat gasket and not the stock doughnut gasket. As well some come with there own screw sets. But the gasket is probably the culprit. Good luck
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by f-dub

I asked the guy I bought it off of and another person who had the same exhaust if I needed to do that and they used the stock bolts...

Also, it came with a new donut gasket that has a larger diameter to fit the new downpipe.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by f-dub
Not all require new bolts my HKS did not!
And all of the 15 I have installed but one went on with the stock bolts fine
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

My Buschur DP required new bolts. Works, and a couple other vendors do not.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I_<3_Evo_IXs
I asked the guy I bought it off of and another person who had the same exhaust if I needed to do that and they used the stock bolts...

Also, it came with a new donut gasket that has a larger diameter to fit the new downpipe.
When you look down into the pipe from the top end is the flange flat or is it recessed like the stock one? If it's flat like I remember the TX's one being you need a flat gasket if it's recessed it will use a stock type gasket. It could also be yourstock bolts are to large to go thru the flanges holes and you will either need the correct bolts or have to (a) enlarge the holes or (b) grind down the bolts a little with a grinder. I have done that also in a pinch.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
When you look down into the pipe from the top end is the flange flat or is it recessed like the stock one? If it's flat like I remember the TX's one being you need a flat gasket if it's recessed it will use a stock type gasket. It could also be yourstock bolts are to large to go thru the flanges holes and you will either need the correct bolts or have to (a) enlarge the holes or (b) grind down the bolts a little with a grinder. I have done that also in a pinch.
The end of the downpipe that connects to the O2 housing is exactly like the stock one that requires a donut type gasket. The bolts have springs around them that need to be compressed upward in order for the bolts to go into the O2 housing, but we can't push up far enough.

Here are a couple of pix of what it looks like when we have it pushed up somewhat. The bolts fit through the holes fine.
Right side:

And left side:
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

What brand downpipe is it?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

The problem being the round ends aren't going through the DP. I had to shave my bolts down a bit.. got frustrated so went to Home Depot and got long bolts and nuts.. and then used the springs. Slid all the way in, and it holds up great to the heat/weather after 6 months (just recently did the clutch).
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
any updates ?? I'm gonna be on the road in about 30mins...let me know
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:18 PM

No luck with anything tonight. Put the whole stock exhaust back on. A whopping 5 hours of messing with the damn thing for nothing. Im pissed.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Is the stock donut still on? Maybe you need to remove for that particular downpipe. That maybe the reason it won't fully seat against the o2 housing...
Old Dec 1, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

If you take the stock bolts and after the thread there is a small lip where there is no threads. This is the spots where it is not going thru the the flange you can enlarge the hole or grind down the bolts with a grinder. I spoke to my buddy and that is exactly what we had to do with his as I stated before above. The only other option is to contact TurboXS and have them send you the correct bolts. Have you called them yet?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

This might be a dumb question, but is there anything stuck inside the downpipe, i.e. the previous owner's donut gasket?