Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To: In-Car Valve Spring and Retainer Install

Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ you beat me 2 it!!!!!!!!! such an awesome and simple tool.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but then you have to have steel keepers right? don't some spring/retainer sets use titanium? is titanium magnetic?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

bringing this thread back.....

I just installed springs/retainers using the "rope" method instead of compressed air. Basically, starting with the pistons in #1 and #4, a little less than 1/2 way down, I fed 1/4" dia. nylon rope in through the spark plug hole in cylinder 1 and 4, then rotated the crank to almost TDC, or as much as it would go with the rope in there. Pulled the cams, but left the cam gears and timing belt zip tied together like the evomoto cam install write-up says, and then made sure I kept tension on the timing belt so it couldn't slip on the balance shaft or crank. The tension came from a bungee cord hooked to the underside of the open hood.

Once cylinder 1&4 were done, put the cams back in without rockers, put the cam gears back on, loosened the tension on the timing belt tool and rotated the crank about 180 degrees, and started the process all over again for cylinders 2&3.

I think this method is a decent substitute for pulling the timing belt, or for those who don't have an air compressor.

Last edited by dubbleugly01; Apr 7, 2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

I emailed this install link to a friend of mine who is a head honda mechanic ....

He responded with ..." Its amazing to see what people will do to save a little money"
Old Apr 8, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbfoco
I emailed this install link to a friend of mine who is a head honda mechanic ....

He responded with ..." Its amazing to see what people will do to save a little money"

some people like to work on their own cars, not to save money, but to learn. Doing things a bit different than others is learning imo, and shows ingenuity. It's amazing what new things and techniques can be learned by not following the masses.

Does your head honda mechanic friend always go by the service repair manuals? Or does he do things his way, to save time, effort, etc.?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

sorry for the slant, but this is the right audience to ask -- there used to be a nice vividracing.com write-up on camshaft replacement, but it is now gone. Anyone have a link to a similar write-up?? Does the shop manual detail a cam swap procedure?

thanks in advance
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by AV8NDOC
sorry for the slant, but this is the right audience to ask -- there used to be a nice vividracing.com write-up on camshaft replacement, but it is now gone. Anyone have a link to a similar write-up?? Does the shop manual detail a cam swap procedure?

thanks in advance
Go to www.evomoto.com

Look under the Evo tech section -> installations -> camshafts
Old May 2, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
bringing this thread back.....

I just installed springs/retainers using the "rope" method instead of compressed air. Basically, starting with the pistons in #1 and #4, a little less than 1/2 way down, I fed 1/4" dia. nylon rope in through the spark plug hole in cylinder 1 and 4, then rotated the crank to almost TDC, or as much as it would go with the rope in there. Pulled the cams, but left the cam gears and timing belt zip tied together like the evomoto cam install write-up says, and then made sure I kept tension on the timing belt so it couldn't slip on the balance shaft or crank. The tension came from a bungee cord hooked to the underside of the open hood.

Once cylinder 1&4 were done, put the cams back in without rockers, put the cam gears back on, loosened the tension on the timing belt tool and rotated the crank about 180 degrees, and started the process all over again for cylinders 2&3.

I think this method is a decent substitute for pulling the timing belt, or for those who don't have an air compressor.
You would be suprised how much easier it woulda been to just pull the timing belt. All you gotta do is reset the auto tensioner and remove the lower timing cover...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:47 PM

this is a cool idea but I could have the head sitting on my work bench by the time you get done making that tool. I think it is easier to just pull the head, but thats just me.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

I have a cylinder leakdown tester that would work perfect for this. (and you can set the pressure, sort of.)

Thanks for the write-up. Where can I get a spring compressor like that? ( or something similar)
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Questions if I pull the whole head do I still need Schley product?
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoFlash
Questions if I pull the whole head do I still need Schley product?
Any standard valve spring compressor should work fine at that point.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

So i guess i have to drop my oil pan, i had rags shoved in every hole, the keeper poped off and disappered.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.theracingpiston.com/servl...lve-evo/Detail

Beats the snot out of anything else for doing this with the head on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: In-Car Valve Spring and Retainer Install