Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

HOW TO: keep the clock from dimming when you turn the headlights on

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
HOW TO: keep the clock from dimming when you turn the headlights on

[QUOTE author=tarmac4g63]yea all you have to do is bend back the LIG pin on the clock so when u put the connector back on it the pin doesnt go in the connector[/QUOTE]

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: keep the clock from dimming when you turn the headlights on-both_compareplugs-1.jpg  
Old Jun 2, 2007, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you know how to fix the clock because my clock does not work and my hazard lights dont work
Old Jun 2, 2007, 04:43 PM

clock and hazard light do not work

how do you take apart the dash to get to the clock and hazard swtch
Old Jun 8, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

It's a pain in the ace.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

so tha dash has to come apart just to do this??
Old Jun 22, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
two screws in the speedo bezel. pull that off.

pull off your HVAC knobs. unscrew two screws that were behind the knobs.

unscrew two more screws above the hvac/radio surround. pull off surround.

pull off center dash piece that surrounds the clock.

undo clock/flasher switch connectors

pull out clock.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

nice set of instructions Qwik!

someone could make a nice VFAQ if some pics were made to go along with it...
Old Sep 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by QwikSRT4
two screws in the speedo bezel...
First of all, thanks for this method, it was very helpfull. I did however find two errors, or typos, and I clarified what you wrote to make it a tad more user friendly. The method should read like this:

1. Two screws in the top of the speedo bezel need to be removed, then pull that off.

2. Pull off your HVAC knobs, then unscrew the two screws that were behind the two side knobs. SLOWLY pry off the HVAC/radio surround.

3. Unscrew two screws that are behind the top of the HVAC/radio surround that you just removed.

4. Open and empty the glove box. On the inside drivers side of the glove box, there is a tab that has a knob on the outside of the box that functions as the catch to not allow the box to open too far and dump your stuff all over the floor. Slide the catch toward you and push the knob side in toward the inside of the box to remove it. Then, gently squeeze the RIGHT side of the box so that the small non-removable catch on the RIGHT side clears the stop on the underdash. the glove box will now swing all the way down and it can be pulled out.

5. Start at the drivers side of the center vent/clock/hazard button surround (this is the piece that is fake carbon fiber on the IX's), and begin to gently pry it off heading toward the passenger side. When you pry it off to the part where the vent/clock/hazard button hole is STOP. Now reach under up under the dash using the access that you just created by removing the glove box. Feel around until you find the push pins/clips from the surround that you are removing. Push on the back of them to loosten the surround from the dash itself. After you loostened it to just past the hole, you can continue to slowly pry off the rest of the surround from the topside, gently working your way down toward the passenger side.

6. Undo the clock/flasher switch connectors

7. Unscrew the screws that hold the clock, vents, and hazard button to the surround.

Again, thanks QwikSRT4. All credit goes to you, all I did was clarify it a bit.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

I already had the radio out, Just did it before, Alright I am going to add a few words to this, Just did this right now at 11:15pm took me about 10 minutes, I have had the dash apart before just not this part so I am use to it, alright You DO NOT need to do anything with the glove box, Just undo the 2 screws above speedo, and the 2 by the clock, 4 screws in all, do start at the drives side works good, I would not start at the other for sure. You will see, Pull the full piece with clock attached away, undo the 2 electrical plugs, get out a screw driver and bend the second prong from the left and then plug the elec back in, Do a test and then put it all back, fast check to make sure all the white attaching brackets are setup right to make a clean reinstall. 4 screws out 4 screws in.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

your right about the glove box, but I was a little worried about snappin the trim piece at the opening, so I decided it was worth the extra 2 mins to remove the glove box and push the clips through on that part from the back
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

Nice DIY!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
First of all, thanks for this method, it was very helpfull. I did however find two errors, or typos, and I clarified what you wrote to make it a tad more user friendly. The method should read like this:

1. Two screws in the top of the speedo bezel need to be removed, then pull that off.

2. Pull off your HVAC knobs, then unscrew the two screws that were behind the two side knobs. SLOWLY pry off the HVAC/radio surround.

3. Unscrew two screws that are behind the top of the HVAC/radio surround that you just removed.

4. Open and empty the glove box. On the inside drivers side of the glove box, there is a tab that has a knob on the outside of the box that functions as the catch to not allow the box to open too far and dump your stuff all over the floor. Slide the catch toward you and push the knob side in toward the inside of the box to remove it. Then, gently squeeze the RIGHT side of the box so that the small non-removable catch on the RIGHT side clears the stop on the underdash. the glove box will now swing all the way down and it can be pulled out.

5. Start at the drivers side of the center vent/clock/hazard button surround (this is the piece that is fake carbon fiber on the IX's), and begin to gently pry it off heading toward the passenger side. When you pry it off to the part where the vent/clock/hazard button hole is STOP. Now reach under up under the dash using the access that you just created by removing the glove box. Feel around until you find the push pins/clips from the surround that you are removing. Push on the back of them to loosten the surround from the dash itself. After you loostened it to just past the hole, you can continue to slowly pry off the rest of the surround from the topside, gently working your way down toward the passenger side.

6. Undo the clock/flasher switch connectors

7. Unscrew the screws that hold the clock, vents, and hazard button to the surround.

Again, thanks QwikSRT4. All credit goes to you, all I did was clarify it a bit.

I know the reply is a little late, but no prob. You did just that...clarification.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 01:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
But does that LIG pin have any reason for it being there in the first place?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

It dims your clock when you turn your lights on.

Oct post ftl!
Old May 28, 2009, 09:18 AM

can this method be reverse??