Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

HOW TO: Recover your EvoX ecu after a failed reflash.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:02 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
HOW TO: Recover your EvoX ecu after a failed reflash.

Does your EvoX not start after a failed reflash?
Did you flash a corrupt ROM file to your ECU?

Does your FANS still run after a reflash when you turn the key on?
and the ecu now won't reflash?

Some people call this a "bricked" ECU.
YES, you can "recover" your ecu to a working state again.

Do you get this message when trying to do a reflash?
[23:15:42.343] J2534 API Version: 04.04
[23:15:42.343] J2534 DLL Version: 1.00.3017 Apr 8 2010 14:16:53
[23:15:42.343] Device Firmware Version: 1.10.3038
[23:15:44.000] sending init sequence 1 (0001)
[23:15:47.218] sending init sequence 1 (0003)
[23:15:50.437] sending init sequence 1 (FFFF)
[23:15:53.140] no response to any known code
[23:15:53.140] interface close

This is sometimes a symptom of a faulty cable also. But not very often. (about 1% chance of a faulty cable)
Try your cable on another Mitsubishi just to be sure the cable is good.
Mitsubishi Dealer tools require minimum 9.7 - 9.8 volts for reflashing, I would highly recommend a minimum of 10.5-11.0 volts. Normal voltage on most EvoX during reflash is between 11.9 and 12.2 volts.

UPDATE 24 JULY 2014 NEW METHOD without bench flash:
You do not even need to bench reflash the EvoX ecu anymore to recover it...
Originally Posted by Matt
if it fails during a write I leave the car on. remove usb cable shutdown ecuflash replug in usb restart ecuflash , go to options use alt flash mode. try to reflash it but it fails everytime . I then go back in to normal flash mode try to reflash it. So far it has worked about 8 times.
OLD BENCH REFLASH METHOD:
STEP 1: You need to pop your hood of the car, and remove your ecu, and wire the ecu direct to your op2 cable.

Connect OpenPort 2.0 USB Cable and Power Supply to EVOX ECU Pins:

Figure 1. EvoX ECU pinouts, looking straight-on at the pins on the ECU when its out of the car.

Figure 2. OpenPort 2.0 USB Cable pinouts, looking straight-on at the pins on the Cable when its out of the car.

Connect the ECU to OpenPort 2.0 and Power Supply using the following wires:
EvoX ECU PinOpenPort 2.0 Cable12v-15v Power Supply (use a Laptop Power supply if you like, check the voltage)Description
pin 71pin 4 and/or pin 5Negative/Ground (-)Vehicle Chassis / Battery Terminal (-)
pin 104pin 1612v Power Supply (+)Battery Backup (Direct 12v from 7.5A fuse #2)
pin 82pin 1612v Power Supply (+)Power Supply (comes from MFI Relay via 20A Fuse #22) MFI Relay switched on by ecu (via pin 73)
pin 92pin 1612v Power Supply (+)Ignition Switch (comes from IG1 Relay via 7.5A Fuse #12) IG1 switched on by key switch.
pin 103pin 12 (OBDII 8) Reflash Init. Voltage from pin 12 on the OpenPort 2.0 cable. Pin 103 from the ecu actually comes through to pin 8 on the OBDII vehicle connector.
pin 80pin 7 (OBDII 7) K Line Data (used for recovery mode ecuflashing) Pin 80 from the ecu actually comes through to pin 7 on the OBDII vehicle connector.
pin 90 (optional)pin 6 (OBDII 6) CAN Bus (optional only used for normal mode ecuflashing, you can put the ecu back in the car to do the normal reflash part of the process)
pin 91 (optional)pin 14 (OBDII 14) CAN Bus (optional only used for normal mode ecuflashing, you can put the ecu back in the car to do the normal reflash part of the process)

STEP 2:
a) Open ECUFlash
b) Load your last known good ROM file. (try not to use the ROM file you used during the failed flash, because it maybe corrupt.)
c) Select the from the ECUFlash menu: Files->Options

d) Select "Flash Recovery Mode" and tick the box "Use alternative flash recovery mode"

e) Ensure your OpenPort 2.0 cable is connected and the EcuFlash status bar shows "RECOVERY MODE"

f) Press "Write to ECU" as you normally would... If successful, recovery mode will start writing to ECU like this.
If it doesn't, go back and check all your wiring again.

Recovery Reflash completed...

g) Unplug all your bench wires from the ecu and go and put it back in the car. Plug in your OpenPort 2.0 cable to the car and laptop.

h) Turn EvoX Key to ON position (yes you will probably hear the Fans strangely running still.)

i) go back to the EcuFlash software menu: File->Options->Flash Recovery Mode and untick "Use alternate Flash recovery mode"

j) Reflash your last known good ROM to the ecu. <-- Make sure you do this step, the car still won't start until you do.

k) once the reflash is successful, turn the key OFF, then back ON and start your car!!!! SUCCESS.

Last edited by evoscan; Jul 24, 2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What a great post!!!!

Two questions:

1. Do you have any tips for sourcing a connector to fit each pin on the ecu/op2 cable? Or are you just winging it with bare wire?

2. Will the car battery work for 12v supply?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
What a great post!!!!

Two questions:

1. Do you have any tips for sourcing a connector to fit each pin on the ecu/op2 cable? Or are you just winging it with bare wire?

2. Will the car battery work for 12v supply?
Um get a cheap 3 dollar ATX power connector from a PC store. Take out the female pins. They fit pretty damn near perfect over the ECU pins.

No you will want a true DC power supply, most hobby stores have them.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Um get a cheap 3 dollar ATX power connector from a PC store. Take out the female pins. They fit pretty damn near perfect over the ECU pins.

No you will want a true DC power supply, most hobby stores have them.
Great! I have tons of old PC stuff lying around.....will a PC power supply work ?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write up. Here's another writeup link with pictures for the visually inclined.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-pictures.html
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Great! I have tons of old PC stuff lying around.....will a PC power supply work ?
You would have to make it into a DC power supply bench...Probably if you want a project.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xPRimNT
Good write up. Here's another writeup link with pictures for the visually inclined.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-pictures.html
Thanks to everyone for sharing! I'm a little confused though because the two write-ups list different pins to connect. There is some overlap, but there are also some differences. Which is correct?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
why do we keep getting different writeups for this?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...h-process.html
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
why do we keep getting different writeups for this?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...h-process.html
Because none of them have been stickied
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeah good pt
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

hamish, tephra you can also post up the first ever documented pdf file i sent to you guys. i cant remember where i stored mine LoL ... good write up sub'bbbbbbbbbed

off topic :

sorry guys i'm back up in the air working so there's some delays in testing and finalising the rom for ya teph but will do it once i have time.

hamish .. i will find some logs for ya for further developing soon

there has also been some delays in parts i need so that i can produce better results too ! hope Burd @ MAP will expedite my stuff that has been long delayed & my newly built turbo from chad.

Lastly, I would like to thank all members who have helped me out initially to sort out the brick, xprmint, teprha, hamish, clpise3gt, gunzo and others ... sorry if i i forgot any others .. ah and bryan & colby too

Last edited by E6-X; Jul 9, 2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:31 AM
Silver Sponsor

Both sets of pinouts are correct, both have been confirmed as working.. you don't always need all wires to do recovery reflash.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:35 AM
Silver Sponsor

I tried to do the EvoX recovery reflash in the car, but it didn't work, I swapped OBDII 8 over to OBDII 12 so that the openport2 could connect all the way through to ECU pin 103. But it still didn't work. all the pins should have had the correct voltages and connections. does anybody know why? I checked all the wires in ecu wiring harness had connectivity through to the OBDII vehicle port, it should have worked fine but it didn't.

a) Did the ETACS ecu put the EvoX EFI ecu into CAN mode too early?

any other theories?

Last edited by evoscan; Jul 9, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:10 PM
Silver Sponsor

I updated the pin connections so that they match up with howtos. some pins are optional for this process. the less pins you have to connect up, the faster this process is.

Connect the ECU to OpenPort 2.0 and Power Supply using the following wires:
EvoX ECU PinOpenPort 2.0 Cable12v-15v Power Supply (use a Laptop Power supply if you like, check the voltage)Description
pin 71pin 4 and/or pin 5Negative/Ground (-)Vehicle Chassis / Battery Terminal (-)
pin 104pin 1612v Power Supply (+)Battery Backup (Direct 12v from 7.5A fuse #2)
pin 82pin 1612v Power Supply (+)Power Supply (comes from MFI Relay via 20A Fuse #22) MFI Relay switched on by ecu (via pin 73)
pin 92pin 1612v Power Supply (+)Ignition Switch (comes from IG1 Relay via 7.5A Fuse #12) IG1 switched on by key switch.
pin 103pin 12 (OBDII 8) Reflash Init. Voltage from pin 12 on the OpenPort 2.0 cable. Pin 103 from the ecu actually comes through to pin 8 on the OBDII vehicle connector.
pin 80pin 7 (OBDII 7) K Line Data (used for recovery mode ecuflashing) Pin 80 from the ecu actually comes through to pin 7 on the OBDII vehicle connector.
pin 90 (optional)pin 6 (OBDII 6) CAN Bus (optional only used for normal mode ecuflashing, you can put the ecu back in the car to do the normal reflash part of the process)
pin 91 (optional)pin 14 (OBDII 14) CAN Bus (optional only used for normal mode ecuflashing, you can put the ecu back in the car to do the normal reflash part of the process)
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

i had a problem with a flash half way through.

the ECU got stuck and the fans were stuck always on.

i followed the recovery procedure, but....unfortunately i shorted two pins while trying to flash using recovery mode. (i think 92 & 91 were touching each other). the Openport 2 was burned and i could smel it.

i tried again to recover the ECU, and i was able to wrie and read successfully. i did it 4 times successfully.

the problem now is, when i put the ecu back on the car, i cant read or write and the fans are still working all the time.

i check all OBD pins continuity to the ECU, and every thing is fine. But when i check the power supply pins (82, 92, 104) on the ECU, i found pin 82 dont have power even when i put the ignition switch!!! this is why i couldnt comunicate with ecu.

now i think i burned a circuit inside the ECU and my question is:

can i buy a used ecu and install it on the car? (i will load the rom of the old ecu)
what is the relation with the immobilizer ecu?

any help will be appriciated.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Recover your EvoX ecu after a failed reflash.