Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to change gauge color from red to blue???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to change gauge color from red to blue???

Now I know somebody has changed the gauge color from that hard to see red, to something else. How do you do it? What do you take off, or and what bulbs are needed to change that color. I don't own a EVO, but I would like to know how to do it, so I can know when I get one.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

I would like to know too
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

You'll need to go to a lighting design/theatre supply/ costume store (sometimes) and get lighting gel. Can't buy anything that's too dark or cool though, because these lights are weak as hell.
Take the gage pod out, remove the colored "condoms" from the lightbulbs. Be careful. Cut the gel to fit where you want it to go behind the gages. Insert. Put the bulbs back in their places. put your gage cluster back.

It'll look kinda like this if you use a medium blue, go much darker and you won't see anything.
Attached Thumbnails How to change gauge color from red to blue???-colored-gages.jpg  
Old Aug 4, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by engineerboy
You'll need to go to a lighting design/theatre supply/ costume store (sometimes) and get lighting gel. Can't buy anything that's too dark or cool though, because these lights are weak as hell.
Take the gage pod out, remove the colored "condoms" from the lightbulbs. Be careful. Cut the gel to fit where you want it to go behind the gages. Insert. Put the bulbs back in their places. put your gage cluster back.

It'll look kinda like this if you use a medium blue, go much darker and you won't see anything.

All that time you knew how to do that, and you withheld it from your fellow forum brothers (and sisters ) That's crazy. But thanks for finally putting that up.

If you could go into more depth with that, I would love that. Like how exactly do you take the gauge pod out. If you don't mind. But other than that, you probably have helped a lot of people out with your reply, because a lot of people complain about that on this forum.

Be Easy
Old Aug 4, 2003, 03:51 PM

Oh yeah, and I'd change it to white. I just wouldn't want to strain my eyes, when I do get my EVO. I'm trying to make a plan on how I'm gonna get it, so sooner or later, I'll be blessed with one. Keep prayin' for me my people.

Keep hope alive!!!
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, I've posted this before. Just didn't wanna smack you with an admonition that you hadn't run a search. Good luck turning the gages to white. The bulbs on the the regular lancer are of the ****ty variety- they emit a yellowish-white color. That's why my blue looks green. I honsetly couldn't tell you how to take out an evo cluster.

On the OZ you move the steering wheel full down, then take out the two screws that hold the plastic front piece in and then take out the plastic. There are 3 screws that actaully hold the cluster in place. Take these out and then to remove the cluster you pull forward slightly while pushing the top in. Now wiggle it in that compartment. The two wire clusters come out easily enough once you push in the tab on the top of each connecting harness. Now all you have to do is be careful and look at what you're doing as you take all of the plastic pieces off and remove the little screws.
Experience will make you oldwise.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:53 PM

i have blue gauge lights in my es. it was really easy to do. in the thread i mention how to do it. do a search on "check out my es gauges"i think my profile has a pic
Old Aug 5, 2003, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Has anyone tried working on actual EVO 8 gauges? I doubt just changing the gauges bulbs would work since the translucent numbers are already red/orange (with the car turned off).

For Lancer owners, what color are your numbers without the lights on?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kdogg is correct, on the Evo you would have to change the gauge faceplate in order to change the color. And they are always on anytime the ignition is on.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by engineerboy
Actually, I've posted this before. Just didn't wanna smack you with an admonition that you hadn't run a search.
Well, actually, I did a search, but never came up with how to change the color in an EVO . And I guess the advice is still wrong, if Kdogg is right.

Thanks for the help though, engineerboy.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:23 AM

To get bulbs to distribute light evenly, just dremel the top of it until it's flat, then it'll radiate light instead of blast it in one direction.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting. I assume if you dremel too much that you'll collapse the bulb though.

Anybody found a brighter burning bulb that the stockers? I doubt it gets much brighter, since they're intended to be low watt.

I've been trying to make mine purple for quite some time, but it'll require a dark purple to look cool, instead of fruity. Without some brightness behind it, you probably wouldn't see a thing.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 03:13 PM

I remember when I wanted to change my stock Eclipse dash color from orange to blue . I found out that mid 90's Galant ES have blue gel covered bulbs . PERFECT FIT . $10 . I'm thinkin it should work .............. LMK
Attached Thumbnails How to change gauge color from red to blue???-021.jpg  
Old Aug 10, 2003, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Except that the redline area is colored red on the gage itself and using the blues bulbs from the es/ls lancer will just turn that area purple. And the bulbs were $7 each from my dealership.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by kdogg
Has anyone tried working on actual EVO 8 gauges? I doubt just changing the gauges bulbs would work since the translucent numbers are already red/orange (with the car turned off).

For Lancer owners, what color are your numbers without the lights on?

i have done it on my evo, i went to a local hobby shop round here, adn got the closest plastic they could match it to(some sort of lexan), and then have a proffesional paint shop black out what needed to be blacked, and then he put this blue paint on and they are brght blue when lights off, and neon blue when lit i have no pics as i have no digi, but i will look up the names of stuff

Quick Reply: How to change gauge color from red to blue???