Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to swap auto transmission to manual transmission on my Evo-7 GT-A??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
before i continue i would say i bought the GTA after reading the threads from you that it was possible to convert the GTA and ofcourse the wife was always complaining when i had an STI. So i bought the GTA so she could drive for 1 year atleast and then i converted it so to enjoy the real deal evo. Thanks nads for your threads

rite back to the topic, i have installed the evo7 pedals which had a position switch hanging unplugged, i m still confused why the car starts with the manual ecu, and i have no idea where i can plug that in
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:18 PM

i found this thread saying the ecu is not connected to the clutch position switch, would this be correct because i wouldnt been able to start the car with the manual ecu i have.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...on-switch.html
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tabrezk
why the car starts with the manual ecu, and i have no idea where i can plug that in
Depends on the software in the ECU. Don't know if Evo 7 has to have clutch pressed to start? Mine, doesn't, it is still running the Auto ECU (not ideal) though, so I shorted out the 'Neutral' position switch to allow the car to start.
Maybe a 7 ECU doesn't need it?

Sorry can't help more.
Try asking on Geekmapped.com they are really into this stuff.

I'm so fed up of my crap ECU and don't want expense of changing all the loom/dash, also a little corrosion on the car body.... So I'm having it re-shelled as we speak (should be about done now) into a very clean Evo 6 shell
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:47 PM

i had flushed the 2001 evo7 ralliart EDM 90550001 on my ecu and this works but my car is JDM, somehow i can not access geekmapped to download tephra. The speedo did not work on the evoscan, now i dont know what else to check. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:01 AM

They have tight security on Geekmapped due to hackers, let me know your email/user-name and I'll ask admins to allow you in.

Is the speed sensor working and all associated wiring to/from ECU in place?
Was the speedo working in the donor car? May just be the sensor, has been know to need replacing.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:38 PM

hi my email is tabz81@htomail and user is tabrezk. i have to get a known working speed sensor because the one i have changed is from a wrecker. kinna confused with the gear ratio on the speed sensor, i had one which read 19 AWD which was from an evo 5 box and one from an evo 7 which read 34 AWD i think.

if you could download that rom and email that would be great. With the ralliart rom the boost still reads 0.6 bars like that the stock standard rom.

thanks
TK
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:11 PM

Sorry, can't help with the speed sensors, I have no idea.

I have attached the ROM and XML file, I had to 'zip' the XML due to EvoM attachment restrictions.
(XML goes here: C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\mitsubishi\evo)

I asked admin on Geekmapped to accept you.

All the following info is pretty much copy/paste from there.
I strongly suggest you look at THIS thread, no need to login to view thread.

You may have to change immobiliser code to 0xFFFF

Also, sometimes Valet mode will enable, even if you have disabled it. (You have to enable it & flash, then disable it and flash. 2nd method: fire the car up, and switch off valet mode in the rom, and flash the rom over again with the car running)
Attached Files
File Type: zip
90550001-v5.10fix-mods.zip (95.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip
90550001.zip (4.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by nads1978; Dec 7, 2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:36 AM

thanks man, will try this and let you know
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:13 PM

ok guys the speedo all sorted, manual speedo works fine, the only thing different in the gta dash wiring is it has a 12v pin missing which feeds power to the speed sensor. all happy happy now.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:07 PM

i found the auto speedo gauge to be working as well with the manual set up.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:02 AM

Hi Mate, Can you tell me if the gta roll stoppers (two mounts on under brace) can be used or do they have to be swapped to GSR ones.

You have something circled in blue on your MLR write up but it doesn't make much sense.

Cheers
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by d1kid
Hi Mate, Can you tell me if the gta roll stoppers (two mounts on under brace) can be used or do they have to be swapped to GSR ones.

You have something circled in blue on your MLR write up but it doesn't make much sense.

Cheers
The blue circled bit, I wasn't sure at time of writing what description to put there. I needed gearbox mount(s?) from a GSR. The car is ling gone now, so can't really comment further.

Which brace do you mean?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:43 AM

ok i m told the diff ratios are different for GTA and GSR, its been one year now since i have changed to manual box but i dint find any issues with the rear diff. Has anyone changed to manual rear diff?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:59 AM

ok i m told the diff ratios are different for GTA and GSR,
No they are the same item.

its been one year now since i have changed to manual box but i dint find any issues with the rear diff.
Because it's the same.

Has anyone changed to manual rear diff?
Yes, I used a USDM non-active one.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:45 PM

can I throw a twist to this thread please....

iv got an airtrek turbo one in my shop and im going manual conversion. I did the Evo GTA conversion a few months ago with TABZ' help and all your guys info,thank you..

now my dilemar lays in the engine bay of the Trek..

this is the only issue I see me having I nthis conversion.

on the LH side behind the headlamp theres a Large Plug Loom that goes from the engine wire harness to the plug wich leads into the LH front guard. its a large plug almost on the lines of a plug like the ole LEgnum GDI had plugged onto the firewall into the control module..

so back to point at hand, I know its a straight forward convert but its his plug that im concerned about..

I can load a pic in the morning to verify what it is I mean if you don't understand. but id appreciate any help please guys

Quick Reply: How to swap auto transmission to manual transmission on my Evo-7 GT-A??