Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How TO: release throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The tob has a c-ring on the snout of it that holds it in the pressure plate. When it is released, there will be about a 1 inch gap between the bearing and the pressure plate. Like i said, if you're having trouble releasing the tob, it's much easier to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel by removing the dust boot from the clutch fork and going through that hole.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thread revival...

my TOB is an SOB and i hate it... that is all....

ok so not all.. i will try the unbolt flywheel through the fork hole before i put some dynamite in the car and then call insurance...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 06:49 PM

Whoa, this has to be the most helpful post Ive read!...and theres no shortage of those on this site.
I had never attempted this before, and from the time I inserted the screwdriver to the time the tob popped loose took ten seconds! I couldnt believe it so I compressed it and did it again. Yeeha Pardner!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:06 PM

Comp clutch

Originally Posted by clifhanger87
The tob has a c-ring on the snout of it that holds it in the pressure plate. When it is released, there will be about a 1 inch gap between the bearing and the pressure plate. Like i said, if you're having trouble releasing the tob, it's much easier to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel by removing the dust boot from the clutch fork and going through that hole.
Anyone get stuck and remove flywheel from pressure plate through starter opening? That is what I had to do when removing previous garbage clutch 'stage 3 F1'
-has anyone else noticed a occasional "click" when releasing the clutch going into first gear from a stop? Or on decel in 1st gear? Happens mainly when I am in the city and I have had the click from day 1 of having the comp clutch in car.

Thnx
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im having a hell of a time with this as well. I thought I popped it loose, does the clutch fork not wanting to move at all mean that I popped it loose properly?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ude Lose
Im having a hell of a time with this as well. I thought I popped it loose, does the clutch fork not wanting to move at all mean that I popped it loose properly?
No, clutch fork should move freely. As a matter of fact, more freely with a wider range of motion when disengaging the clutch. I bet you jammed the wedge collar/retaining clip. Do yourself a favor and order an ACT Monoloc wedge collar for the reinstall. I definitely would not reuse the same wedge collar since it's most likely damaged now.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok i guess i will take another shot at getting it loose later this evening.
This thing sure is a pain to get free...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:46 AM

Wow...This may help!

Hi all, sorry to revive a thread years down the track. But first thanks!! I would have never acheived this without starting here.

I still had troubles, but thought I would share the solve, and it happened quickly. Take a look at this video

After totally realising what goes on.... I stopped being so aggressive on the clutch fork, and concentrated on the screwdriver. Tried really hard to turn that SOAB and still no joy. But after realising that turning that screwdriver is the main issue, I tried turning it the other way. "POP".... off it came. So to all fellow evo enthusiasts, I hope this helps. If your turning the screwdriver and it doesn't work, reverse which way your turning it. Worked for me!!

Cheers
M