Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

HOW TO: Bleed Your Lifters

Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When proceeding to "lube" the lifters after pushing the old oil out, do you submerge the lifter in fresh oil and prime the top until it doesn't depress anymore?

Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mayberry
I'm going to be adding valve springs and retainers to my head for the cams I already have in it. My lifters are already pretty loud, so bleeding them should make the sound go away? Would you suggest replacing them even though the car only has 50k miles on it?
No need to replace them. Why not do it right? Go get yourself a 3 pack of ziploc disposable containers and get yourself a gallon of diesel fuel, and do it the way it is in the shop manual. It worked like a charm. I am assuming using oil would be a little tougher as it is thicker than diesel fuel, but I cannot confirm that.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MEVOLV3
When proceeding to "lube" the lifters after pushing the old oil out, do you submerge the lifter in fresh oil and prime the top until it doesn't depress anymore?

Thanks
Yes, once its full you cannot depress it.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

^cool, thanks-how do you like your S1's, I'm looking at some for my 8 on stock 9 turbo?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

So bleed the lifters even if the car has low mileage and the lifters don't make any noise (maybe once in a blue moon they might)...?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MEVOLV3
^cool, thanks-how do you like your S1's, I'm looking at some for my 8 on stock 9 turbo?
S1's are great. But if you are running an EVO8, you may want to search the thread with the AMS cam shootout. The Kelford 272's were the winner in the EVO 8 platform. Get yourself a set of those and your good. You may need valve springs with those though, not sure. But I do know the GSC S1's do not require updated valve springs, so you cannot go wrong with THOSE if the Kelfords REQUIRE new valve springs and you do not want to change them.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blkVII
So bleed the lifters even if the car has low mileage and the lifters don't make any noise (maybe once in a blue moon they might)...?

IF the lifters don't make any noise then you are fine. I did mine when I installed my cams. One would be very upset if you installed a set of cams and then sewed everthing back together only to find that it now ticks. If you have the cams out, you can pop the lifters out easily and bleed them. I recommend doing it whenever you have the cams out.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisy lifter 4G93 GDI 1.8L 1999 Pajero IO

Please can somebody help my solve problem with noisy lifter?
I dont know which one is good and where to buy.
replace one or all?
Which oil is the best for this GDI?
I am using 5W30 synthetic oil.
Thanks Akaki

Last edited by akakius; May 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old May 19, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akakius
Please can somebody help my solve problem with noisy lifter?
I dont know which one is good and where to buy.
replace one or all?
Which oil is the best for this GDI?
I am using 5W30 synthetic oil.
Thanks Akaki
Dude, this whole thread is a good read. Im assuming you haven't. Try bleeding your lifters, just like stated. You should rid of whatever noise you are hearing. I am no professional, but I4 has a good method when it comes to doing this
Old Jun 2, 2010, 04:01 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
has anyone posted the method of using the diesel fuel? for those of us that don't have said manual.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

When bleeding the lifters, is the idea to pump it until all the oil is out or just 6 times so you can depress the tear drop head by hand? Sorry for the newb question but i want to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks guys.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:02 PM
kaj

I bled all of it out, just to be sure. At least that's how I understood how to do it.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I bled all of it out, just to be sure. At least that's how I understood how to do it.
Alright thanks. So then do I install them dry or submerge them in clean oil and pump them full before re installing them? Also if i do install them dry do I rotate the crank a few times to pump oil into them? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:36 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by EvolutinIX
Alright thanks. So then do I install them dry or submerge them in clean oil and pump them full before re installing them? Also if i do install them dry do I rotate the crank a few times to pump oil into them? Thanks for your help.
if you pump them full, then you defeat the purpose of bleeding them. if they are full, they can't "give" when they need to be depressed.

you want them empty. you can run diesel fuel through them as mentioned above. this will clean them out. may as well clean out any junk since they are out.

i've read some people leave the diesel fuel in, but i don't see how that can help, 'cause then they are full again.

all i know is i installed some "ready to install" JAM lifters and i could swear they still tick.

so.... whoknows. LOL
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
if you pump them full, then you defeat the purpose of bleeding them. if they are full, they can't "give" when they need to be depressed.

you want them empty. you can run diesel fuel through them as mentioned above. this will clean them out. may as well clean out any junk since they are out.

i've read some people leave the diesel fuel in, but i don't see how that can help, 'cause then they are full again.

all i know is i installed some "ready to install" JAM lifters and i could swear they still tick.

so.... whoknows. LOL
You are supposed to pump them until their empty, then pump some more through it, then pump the third time to fill it. you DONT want them empty. When you bleed brakes, are you bleeding them till they are empty???!!! If you follow the service manual, there are three containers, the first one you pump the oil out by pumping the diesel fuel through it, the second one is like a "flush", you're just running diesel fuel through it a second time. The third one is to make sure its completely flushed and filled with clean diesel fuel. So basically the three containers, are clean, flush, and fill. The whole reason people get ticking is because they don't fill it, although it could be other reasons. It needs to be fully filled so that it CANNOT be depressed. You should not be able to push the plunger down even a millimeter when filled correctly. It should feel like a rock. Just follow the service manuals procedure, and you shouldn't have any issues.

Last edited by I4UnderPressure; Jul 23, 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Bleed Your Lifters