Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

HOW TO: Bleed Your Lifters

Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rush63
Nice write up

Didn't he tell you that there is a special tool to remove the lifters without removing the cams?
a prybar?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gamble
What causes you evo owners to need to bleed your lifters?
bump for an answer to this and also how bleeding them stops the ticking.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Why is bleeding the lifters necessary when installing Evo cams but rarely ever done when installing cams on a DSM?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question, as maybe I am misunderstanding the point of this procedure. When bleeding (brakes, oil pump) etc, the point is to get fluid through and all air out. In this procedure, it seems that you are "pumping" the lifter until oil comes out? Wouldn't you want the oil to stay in there? And if so, would the proper way involve pumping the lifter while having it submerged in a cup of oil??? Guess I am confused here.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Bump

I have slight lifter tick and will be removing my brian crowers for HKS 272's within the next week or so. My question is will bleeding my lifters fix this or would it be a lost cause? Once they tick will they always?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
when mine where ticking, i bled them and the tick went away
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I4UnderPressure
I have a question, as maybe I am misunderstanding the point of this procedure. When bleeding (brakes, oil pump) etc, the point is to get fluid through and all air out. In this procedure, it seems that you are "pumping" the lifter until oil comes out? Wouldn't you want the oil to stay in there? And if so, would the proper way involve pumping the lifter while having it submerged in a cup of oil??? Guess I am confused here.

You want to pump the lifters so oil comes out, so when you put them back in and rev up on first startup, oil will be pumped back in and there will be no air in them. When lifters tick, it's because there's air in them, thus why bleeding is important before reinstalling cams.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sekula
You want to pump the lifters so oil comes out, so when you put them back in and rev up on first startup, oil will be pumped back in and there will be no air in them. When lifters tick, it's because there's air in them, thus why bleeding is important before reinstalling cams.
I understand that part. It seemed earlier in this thread that people were "bleeding" them by pumping the oil out of them and installing them dry which of course is not "bleeding". I used the diesel fuel method, but I just don't see why you couldnt use oil instead of diesel fuel either.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rush63
Nice write up

Didn't he tell you that there is a special tool to remove the lifters without removing the cams?

Originally Posted by EVOLVEU
a prybar?
I was going to say large flathead but 6 in one hand.....

/brox
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
There is also an in car bleeding proceedure as outlined in the tech manual. Which conssists of slow ramping rpm to 3k, holdng it there, quick throttle lift, then repeat.

If this does not work you will need to remove them and bleed them out manually. Never seen doing it this way always saw the proceedure wher you clean them out with diesel fuel
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I did this during my new cam install, worked fine for me and it only ticked for a fraction of a second.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

I did not bleed my lifters what so ever when I did my cam install, no ticking or valve train noise. Out of all of the cam install how to's I'veread for the EVO prior to putting mine in. None of them mentioned bleeding the lifters.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

I think the point here is to bleed the lifters IF your lifters have been ticking prior to the cam install.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

One of my friends he use to be the fabricator and tech from slowboy told me to bleed the lifters it only takes 10 mins or so... He told me to compress them and dunk them into oil tho so they fill up with oil. I have yet to do mine.. any help would be great
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to be adding valve springs and retainers to my head for the cams I already have in it. My lifters are already pretty loud, so bleeding them should make the sound go away? Would you suggest replacing them even though the car only has 50k miles on it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Bleed Your Lifters