Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Firewall Pass-thru

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I wish I knew about this before I drilled a hole through my firewall.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:39 PM

You don't need to do that. All you need to do is pull wires though the same hole as the main engine wiring harness. Passenger side footwell, directly across from the ECU
Old Oct 31, 2003, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a post on how Mitsu routes wires for the meter kit, which may be a viable option for some.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=wire
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if you're going to run anything thick (i.e. 1/0), you'll have to go through the firewall. I found that just left of the gas pedal is a good place. I think there is a small piece of padded like tape that's to the right of the brake. I went through there. I then wired the cable up above the clutch. There is a mounting bracket for the clutch, and the cable fit perfectly between the bracket and the firewall. Then down by the fuse box and along the drivers side to the back. There is just enough room under the panels for 1/0. Pics to come.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Note the silver "padded like tape" that the cable goes through. BTW, the foam and cover material all folds back over the cable and out of the way of the pedals.
Attached Thumbnails Firewall Pass-thru-100_0808a.jpg  
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Cable goes behind clutch pedal mounting bracket, and in between the firewall. It's real snug.
Attached Thumbnails Firewall Pass-thru-100_0810a.jpg  
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Inside engine bay. I don't have a marker tool, but the cable is right in the middle with the electrical tape wound around and mud all over it. Went through a big puddle last night...really pissed about that
Attached Thumbnails Firewall Pass-thru-100_0814a.jpg  
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Battery and terminals. There is a circuit breaker on the back side of the battery (not seen).
Attached Thumbnails Firewall Pass-thru-100_0815a.jpg  
Old Nov 1, 2003, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Kind of off subject, but the 1/0 ground cable in back seat. Attatched to the seat belt bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Firewall Pass-thru-100_0812a.jpg  
Old Nov 8, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Sal did you drill from the outside in?
Old Nov 14, 2003, 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

Quickshift:

No, I drilled from inside to the engine bay. I spent a good hour negotiating the best spot. And let me tell you it is a nerve racking experience. The last thing you want to do is drill into something other than air. You could go off of my pictures, but study the location really good and convince yourself that you won't hit anything.

I don't know if you can tell by the third picture, but I just missed the back of the brake pedal housing. That was by design though, not luck. Seriously though, for anyone interested in doing this, study it until you're blue in the face, and be 100% positive you've got the right spot.

Saluki...Any of an ancient breed of tall slender dog developed in Arabia and Egypt and having a smooth, silky, variously colored coat. Or a student or grad of SIU. But not Sal.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

What kind of battery terminals are those?
Attached Thumbnails Firewall Pass-thru-100_0815a.jpg  
Old Nov 21, 2003, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Those are the Phoenix Gold ZBR100.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/zbr100.html

They look REALLY nice, but when I installed them I realized how much of a pain in the *** they are. First off, you can only connect a wire to them, not the stock terminal and wire. Therefore I had to cut off the stock terminal, which kinda sucks on down the road if I want to trade. Plus, when you cut off the terminal, the stock wires aren't long enough to reach the new terminal. So I had to use 4 guage barrel connectors to make the wires longer. I can explain my method in detail if interested, but good luck finding a 4 guage crimper that will fit in that small space.

Second, they claim that these terminals will accept 2 1/0 wires, and 2 4 guage wires. Well the 1/0 fits ok, but the "4 guage" hole is more like 6 or 8 guage. So the three stock wires had to be significantly altered to squeeze in those holes.

Like I say, they look awesome, but I wouldn't suggest them to anyone.

Disclaimer: All Mitsubishi corporate employees, Mitsubishi dealerships, Mitsubishi service personnel or employees, family, friends, or acquaintances thereof: This in no way constitutes an admission or acknowledgement of tampering, modification, usage, or alteration of any vehicle in my posession or component thereof in such a fashion as to void, cancel, deny or otherwise refuse service on any service contracts, warrantees, or recall notices covering said vehicles. This and other posts submitted on this, or any Internet forum, under the screenname salukidude simply represent an attempt to gain acceptance from a peer group espousing cars of a high performance nature - especially those that have been altered to improve, enhance, or otherwise modify the automobile's natural characteristics. Any statements, claims, or graphical representations made that would constitute a violation of any contractual agreement are to be considered fictitious and not to be accepted in any court of law, or similar environment mediated for the purpose of dispute resolution.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Hole in the firewall

it's a good place but extremely hard to get to from the other side (behind the glove compartment) because there is all the plastic venting tubing from the HVAC. It's very snug and hard to get an arm or any kind of tools behind there.

I ended up going through an easier hole through the fender, a little bit through the wheel well, and into the engine bay. That was still tough but way more doable.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

I ran my EBC wire near the clutch. Take a look at your clutch, you'll see this black rubber thingy. hahah, sorry I cant find the word to discript it. Bascially, this black door knob looking thing is where your clutch will have to hit to let you know that the clutch is depress all the way down. You can safely drill a hole through the firewall through there. Just stay close to it. You can run the wire from there along the firewall away from the clutch to anywhere you want to. I hope my thread wont be so confusion due to the lack of correct nouns to elaborate what I'm trying to say. Anyways, I hope this will help somebody.

Quick Reply: Firewall Pass-thru