Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Has any one replaced there radiator?

Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has any one replaced there radiator?

I was just wanted to know if any one has had to replace there radiator and if it's that hard? Also should I go with stock or after market? Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

I've replaced mine. Difficulty on a 1 through 5 would be a 1.5, only because it's more of a pain to replace because you have to remove the fan and upper intercooler pipe depending on your setup, intake and may take up to an hour. I went with a mishimoto rad and the quality/fitment is very good. I've also heard very good things on the koyo rad.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

I had to replace mine do to the plastic seperating from the core... what a pain. I also bought a mishimoto radiator but the evo 6 model which moves to oulet to the driverside headlight vs in the middle and gets that radiator hose away from your manifold. I would the hardest thing is to do or should i say i hate doing is draining the fluid which you can never get it all out it seems and it gets everywhere lol
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

I did it with a mishimoto I got off of ebay due to the usual core separation thing. The mishimoto is a bit thicker than the stocker which makes it more fun to install; transplanting the fan worked ok, but it is more snug of a fit. I've had it in since November 2010 with no problems. I wouldn't classify it as hard, its more of a pain having to disconnect unrelated things to get the fan in.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

once you have messed around with your car and was comfortable doing it, it is no biggie to do
make sure and do all your conenctions as you progress upwards in installing cause there is no room to make any bottom connections when you start to button up on top
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most difficult thing would be removing the fan but for the most part its relatively easy.....you can also remove the uicp to free up some space
Old Apr 5, 2011, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by prockish_03evo
. the hardest thing is to do or should i say i hate doing is draining the fluid which you can never get it all out it seems and it gets everywhere lol
This +100^
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dmcghie
most difficult thing would be removing the fan but for the most part its relatively easy.....you can also remove the uicp to free up some space
Why is removing the fan difficult?

On mine, just removed intake, upper intercooler pipe, drained fluid, disconnected all electrical connections, remove both radiator hoses completely (be sure to have a drain underneath the bottom hose connection to the radiator) and pulled the radiator/fan out as one assembly. Once out of the car swap the fan over to the new radiator, drop her back in and re-install.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:33 PM

I got the old radiator out and bought a mishimoto radiator with 2 slim fans. The only problem I have now is mounting the fans to the radiator, I have a mounting kit but no insructions. Does any one have pics of them installed or can tell me how these work? Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

Thread revival! Mines leaked from core separation at the top where the plastic joins the metal. No cracks. Who the hell installs plastic parts on performance cars?? Any it was a pain in the *** to remove the stock radiator and fan. I did it without removing the front bumper. I removed each part one by one until the radiator and fan came out. That's why it took so god dam long. In the end, I ended up removing part of the intake, the sensor on the fan, half of the uicp, and jacked up only the right side of the car. It's a pain in the **** when you have a front splitter on. The front part of the car was blocked by it. Luckily oil changes are still as accessible with it on.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

Oh and another thing. I bought an eBay radiator. Fitment was about 95 perfect. It's just slightly unaligned compare to stocker but everything still bolts up perfectly, alittle snug because its thicker then the factory one. Maybe I didn't install it perfectly.. But the new radiator is friggen awesome. Only costed 120 bucks vs 300-500. It takes a bit more coolant to fill it up also but I noticed the cooling to be alot better.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

^^^brand?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Just out of curiosity, why are some people having so much trouble removing the radiator? Its quite straight forward and really isnt hard at all.

You can either fight it and try and squeeze it out while leaving the UICP connected which is a mistake, or you can remove the intake, UICP, loosen the hex bolt on the bottom to drain the coolant, then remove the lower radiator pipe, upper radiator pipe and the electrical connector to the fan and pull it out.

What I am saying is that if you try and take shortcuts and squeeze it out, you are going to struggle and make matters much worse for yourself. Instead remove what is in the way and it'll come out effortlessly.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

If a radiator was a problem for you to change, don't mod your car. Take it to a qualified shop for any mods.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it really neccessary to take off the front bumper to do a remove and install?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has any one replaced there radiator?