Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Has any one replaced there radiator?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You shouldn't need to remove the front bumper to swap out the radiator. It's a straight forward removal and just lifts straight up and out of the vehicle once you remove the 2 bolts, 2 hoses, and 1 electrical connection to it.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vortico
You shouldn't need to remove the front bumper to swap out the radiator. It's a straight forward removal and just lifts straight up and out of the vehicle once you remove the 2 bolts, 2 hoses, and 1 electrical connection to it.
Awesome, saves a lot of money for an easy job by doing it myself. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prockish_03evo
I had to replace mine do to the plastic seperating from the core... what a pain. I also bought a mishimoto radiator but the evo 6 model which moves to oulet to the driverside headlight vs in the middle and gets that radiator hose away from your manifold. I would the hardest thing is to do or should i say i hate doing is draining the fluid which you can never get it all out it seems and it gets everywhere lol
The great thing about being an auto tech for my career is you pick up a few tips and tricks along the way. If you wanna get most of the coolant out, use blow gun on an air compressor in the radiator hoses and heater core hoses and tubes going to the block. Squeeze the hose around the tip of the gun to kinda seal it. Avoid blowing full air into the block, core and radiator to avoid damaging them. If you disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses and stick the lower into a bucket you can catch any coolant in a pan or bucket. Also fill the heater core, block and radiator with as much coolant as you can (make sure the lower hose is hooked back up and clamped before you do) to make sure you get as much air out of the system as can to avoid an overheating incident because of an air bubble.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:28 PM

The EVO 8/9 Dont usually have a problem with air pockets unless you do some thing to cause one. Very well designed.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:03 PM

That's good to know since I will be putting a mishimoto radiator in as soon as it gets here this is a general way to remove as much old coolant from the system on any car really. I might add you can use a hose to flush water thru the system to really clear out any stuff in there and then perform the procedure with the blow gun to remove as much water so you can get the correct ratio of coolant and water back in the system.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by aenima75
The great thing about being an auto tech for my career is you pick up a few tips and tricks along the way. If you wanna get most of the coolant out, use blow gun on an air compressor in the radiator hoses and heater core hoses and tubes going to the block. Squeeze the hose around the tip of the gun to kinda seal it. Avoid blowing full air into the block, core and radiator to avoid damaging them. If you disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses and stick the lower into a bucket you can catch any coolant in a pan or bucket. Also fill the heater core, block and radiator with as much coolant as you can (make sure the lower hose is hooked back up and clamped before you do) to make sure you get as much air out of the system as can to avoid an overheating incident because of an air bubble.
Great idea!

Originally Posted by aenima75
That's good to know since I will be putting a mishimoto radiator in as soon as it gets here this is a general way to remove as much old coolant from the system on any car really. I might add you can use a hose to flush water thru the system to really clear out any stuff in there and then perform the procedure with the blow gun to remove as much water so you can get the correct ratio of coolant and water back in the system.
aenima75, good to hear!

If anyone has any questions about installing the Mishimoto radiator, feel free to contact us directly at sales@mishimoto.com, or give us a call at 302.762.4501.

Thanks,
-Pat
Old May 10, 2014, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
What's best way to remove UICP? Which hose clamps / fittings are the easiest to get to and get apart for swapping radiator?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Can the stock fan be used when upgrading to a mishimoto radiator?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It is not necessary to remove the bumber. It's been since 2010 when I did mine and I remember it being really easy. If I could do it again, I would have repainted the fan shroud (because now it is faded and rusted looking).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 02:02 PM

Great questions and advise! this thread has helped me alot
Old May 16, 2017, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by imhenryd
Is it really neccessary to take off the front bumper to do a remove and install?
Few cars are stock or near stock anymore so there is no correct answer. But on a stock car there is absolutely no reason to remove the bumper when replacing the radiator.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I replaced mine with a CBRD radiator, and the neck was moved over so that it is away from the very hot exhaust manifold. it is well worth getting it that way. The welds, etc. are so awesome! Mine is 4 years old! Still looks new, and not even close to having ANY issues! I might get flammed, but I stay away from Mishimoto at all costs! So many people I know have had them leak, either when new, or a short time after that! They have good customer service, and will usually replace it, but why not get it right the first time...Good luck with your decision!