Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

AEM intake install question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM intake install question

I'm trying to install the AEM intake... The AEM connector from the AEM pipe to the MAS does not want to fit over the MAS beading no matter how hard I try. On comparison, the diameter of the beaded MAS piping is quite a bit bigger than the diameter of the polished AEM pipe, and the silicon aem hose doesn't stretch at all.

Am I doing something stupid, or is there a trick to doing this?
Old Feb 18, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

I had quite a hard time with this step in the process also. Just watch out when trying to force the piece onto the MAF opening....that plastic housing is sharp!

I tapered the inside edge of the silicone tube. I also buzzed off the bead on the MAF opening with my dremel. I then used some silicone lubricant and slid the parts into place.

It did take a little while though!

SC~
Old Feb 18, 2004, 03:27 PM

I just used a very small amount of lube as well and it went on with a little force.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

You should complain to AEM... Not only did I have this same problem, but the system didn't fit right.... When I called and complained about the silicone coupler the guy told me he had sold over 25,000 and never heard anyone complain about it... I'm going to call their corporate offices and see if I can get a refund or a new one...
Old Feb 18, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I formally complained about it. Writing a review for this site was only 1/2 of my job. I was also asked to critique the product, it's install and the instruction bookelt.

So when I submitted changes to their instruction bookelt, I also submitted my suggestions for making the product work better.....and that included me asking them to slightly increase the size of that silicone coupler.

SC~
Old Feb 18, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
I formally complained about it. Writing a review for this site was only 1/2 of my job. I was also asked to critique the product, it's install and the instruction bookelt.

So when I submitted changes to their instruction bookelt, I also submitted my suggestions for making the product work better.....and that included me asking them to slightly increase the size of that silicone coupler.

SC~
I didn't need you to tell me the guy was full of crap... I even mentioned evom and said that the review and install instructions mentioned it... He just acted like he had never heard anything... Also, the instruction book still didn't mention a few things... The only thing I saw was the heatshield came with a protective strip... But my heatshield sits right up against the MAF plug... in there picture, it's a good 1 1/2 inches from the shield... AEM's conclusion.. "I installed it improperly".... Not only can you basically only put it on one way, but I even took it to a local shop, and they could not adjust it...
Old Feb 18, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah that connector piece is a little tricky it took my about 30 minutes to finally get it on and lost a fingernail in the process, ouch!

The 2 things that dont fit right on mine is the coupling that sits on the turbo and that little bumper thing doesn't screw into where its suppose to other than that everything seems fine.

oh and one more thing to make it a little easier is to take out the battery, you'll have to disconnect it anyway and it comes out in under a minute, plus it will free up some room in there.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 06:54 AM

The only thing I didnt like about my install was that the elbow piece from the OEM intake wouldn't fit on the heat shield. The tab at the back of the heat shield was too long so the elbow wouldn't sit flush. I ended up having to use my dremel and a cutting wheel to get it to fit and it wasn't off by just a little bit, I had to remove more than a 1/4 of an inch.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EVOlmike
The only thing I didnt like about my install was that the elbow piece from the OEM intake wouldn't fit on the heat shield. The tab at the back of the heat shield was too long so the elbow wouldn't sit flush. I ended up having to use my dremel and a cutting wheel to get it to fit and it wasn't off by just a little bit, I had to remove more than a 1/4 of an inch.
I had to do this too... as well as grind down the lip on the MAF ... Both of which AEM said was unecessary, and denied having anyone else who had to do that... It's funny watching what people write about this...
Old Feb 19, 2004, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

I lubed mine up a little and cut a little bit of the MAF lip off. Fits good now
Old Feb 19, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

I had to shave the boot down on the inside edges to get it to slip on. It is just plainly a pain in the ***. That plus lube and about 2 hours of trying is what it took from me.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies, I talked to Robert in tech support and he was really helpful. He talked to the engineers and they said that they know of the problem, but for the time being they can't do anything about it since the MAS pipe is slightly bigger, the next size of silicone pipe up is 3.5" which is too big.

He said that they are developing a custom fit pipe to replace the 3" one but that it won't happen in the near future. He also said that it is possible to get it on, and that it's easier with the shorter 3"x2" coupler that they include with the intake now (I had a 3"x3") since the longer coupler is more flexible. He recommended using lots of KY to get it on....

He also replaced my longer coupler with a shorter one since it had been damaged when I was trying to get it on. Thanks, Rob!

Last edited by arpad; Feb 21, 2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i didnt cut or trim anything but used a massive amount of force and a little lube to get the
pipe together.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

I finally had some time to install the intake again. I found that by using a shoehorn the pipe fit right on.