Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Evo 8 rear o2 sensor removal....HOW THE F***??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 rear o2 sensor removal....HOW THE F***??

There may already be a thread on this but i only found the thread for an evo 9 removal. Hence the new thread.

So I've been wrenching on the rear o2 sensor for a few hours now intermittently soaking in liquid wrench and that blaster (pv pb?) and started to round off the bolt so I stopped, rented the actual o2 socket set from napa and am now waiting on the socket itself.

In the meantime any ideas on how to remove this POS?? The entire exhaust (turbo back) is on the ground attached only by the friggn rear o2 sensor so heating it up via natural exhaust is kind of the last thing i wanna do being that i'd have to reattach the damn thing. I'm tempted to just clip the wires and install a Bosch universal replacement (good idea? bad idea?)

I've heard heat, blaster and breaker bar are the best but i'm working with very limited room being that i have a POS jack that's too small. Haha i'm very poorly equipped for this job but i'm *******ed determined to get it done.

BTW i'm replacing the stock exhaust with a full turbo back invidia system with a test pipe/cat delete. Just in case anyone cares haha.

thanks in advanced!!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've had this problem too, I ended up just buying a new sensor and installing it with the new parts. Best bet is get a torch in there if you can and get it red hot. But easiest thing would be to replace it if you can swing the money for a new sensor.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 04:59 PM

yea i think the bosch o2 sensor swap is kind of a last resort for me being that i'm not a wiring guy and have no experience doing so. I'll post updates when i get the o2 ratchet. thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 05:23 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you could just clip the wires and not replace it. You would want to remove the harness from inside the car too though so you dont have the chance of shorting out the circuit.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 05:28 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I've never worked on a 08 o2 rear sensor before. Was it possible to get to while the exhaust was bolted up to the car? If so, there was your leverage. Anyway... heat it up, use the right socket and give it a couple smacks with a hammer (since you say limited space).
Old Jun 8, 2016, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The rear O2 sensor unplugs.... just pop the geometry out from onow the underbody of the car and unplug it.
That's how it is on my 03 Evo 8 anyhow.... it just unplug from the wiring harness under the car.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 08:38 PM

Well with the actual o2 tool i got it out in a heartbeat with some extra pipe for leverage. exhaust is done and sounds great! thanks everyone.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ended up cutting the wires on mine too since I was working on it in my work parking lot (s*** happens at the best time). When I got it to the shop and they told me the replacement cost, I wished I had tried to wrench on it a little longer.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Torches are your friend while doing o2 sensors. Just for future thought.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nismo n9ne
Torches are your friend while doing o2 sensors. Just for future thought.
Yes, nothing like a torch.