Need help removal the valve cover for a gasket replacement - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Need help removal the valve cover for a gasket replacement

Old May 24, 2017, 10:51 PM   #1

Drives: Lighting Yellow Evo8

Need help removal the valve cover for a gasket replacement

Hi Guys,

I am trying to replace the valve cover gasket. I don't really see a DIY here. So I was wondering what's the correct way to pull the two PCV vacuum hoses? The one on the top seems to be held by a clamp but the one on the side is wrapped by two black vacuum hose without a clamp. How do you pull them off?

Also the metal hose connecting the BOV to the manifold, can I just leave it along? If there is a DIY write up or video could you please point me to the right direction?

I found a video on youtube, but the guy already took off the PCV and intake manifold.

Old May 25, 2017, 02:16 PM   #2
EvoM Super Moderator

Drives: 05 Evo SSL

Both of those lines are held on by a spring clamp. Get a pair of pliers and slide the clamp back onto the vacuum hose so its no longer clamping on the nipple. Then just pull the two hoses off. Sometimes, especially if it hasnt been touched in a while they can sorta be stuck so you might need to try and twist it first to loosen it or use a pick or flathead to get it started. But its a simple thing really should just pull right off after moving the clamp.

As far as the metal hose for the BOV I wanna say that might be in the way so it might need to be unbolted before pulling the valve cover. I pulled that off my car so long ago and replaced it with one solid line so I cant say for certain but I wanna say that yes, that may be in the way. Only one way to find out

Also, when you put back on the valve cover be very careful to not crank down too hard as you will crack the cover. I wanna say the tq spec is 25 in/lbs off the top of my head but I personally would just snug them up and call it a day.

Old Nov 13, 2017, 03:45 PM   #3

Drives: 2015 GSR SS WW

Post revival.. Planning on swapping my plastic cover with an aluminum one. No other gaskets to purchase besides the valve cover gasket, right?