Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Evo 8 Salvage, should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Salvage, should I buy it?

Hello Evo friends, new inexperienced guy here...

I just wanted to get some insight from you good people that know a lot about Evos and stuff. I found an Evo 8, 2005 but with a salvage title. The dealer has it priced at 10k firm. I went up there to visual inspect it and test drive it. At first, the guy that assisted me, mentioned that the Ebrake was bad and needed to be re adjusted. Also, mentioned that the car needed new rear shocks. One of the things that caught my attention is, that when we drove it (Luckily it was raining, so I could test stuff like, wiper, suspension, and the A/C... The A/C appeared not to be working, it was just blowing but not cold. When we got to back to the dealer, I brought this up to I guess the GM on duty and he started up the car again. This time, A/C was blowing cold but only on the vent of the driver side. Considering the car has 10k miles on it, and it being salvage. Does $10k sound reasonable price for this car? I'm sorry if I sound like a noob, I'm just new to the Evo world.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Below if the link of the car I went up to see.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ct...695307149.html

Last edited by Evocab; Sep 11, 2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
It's 2005 evo 8. Why are there no pictures of engine? Everything looks stock, so make sure everything was always stock and that it wasn't put back to stock.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Sep 11, 2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:46 PM

My bad, there's a typo. I meant 2005*. Thanks for the correction.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
It has 105,000 miles and has a salvage title. Do you know why it was salvaged? If it's for theft, i'd say it's a decent deal. As long as there is no water damage, you don't plan on reselling it anytime soon, and it was repaired by a certified collision center, you should be in the clear. I would offer $8,500.00 as you may have to fix a few things first.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
It has 105,000 miles and has a salvage title. Do you know why it was salvaged? If it's for theft, i'd say it's a decent deal. As long as there is no water damage, you don't plan on reselling it anytime soon, and it was repaired by a certified collision center, you should be in the clear. I would offer $8,500.00 as you may have to fix a few things first.
Actually it has 110k miles on it, I think the ad has old info. Here's the carfax I got yesterday. It looks like it got hit on the front passenger side.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evocab
Actually it has 110k miles on it, I think the ad has old info. Here's the carfax I got yesterday. It looks like it got hit on the front passenger side.
Strange that insurance totaled it out and someone found it worth it to rebuild it.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 03:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Strange that insurance totaled it out and someone found it worth it to rebuild it.

Probably an evo geek like us who just so happens to have all the right parts laying in their garage to fix it
Old Sep 11, 2018, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Probably an evo geek like us who just so happens to have all the right parts laying in their garage to fix it
But front passenger side where airbag didn't deploy would mean minor damage, so why would an insurance company pay out by totaling car?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:07 PM

That's the same thing that came to my mind. The only thing that kinda concerns me is that, there's no record of maintenance done on the car from the 3rd owner. Would that indicate that the car had a lot of DIY work done on it. Also, one of thw thing the guy from the dealer mentioned is, that when they got it, they replaced the fronto rotors, replaced the timing belt, tensioners and alternator. I don't know, this kinda tells me that the car was abused, not sure what you guys think.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
But front passenger side where airbag didn't deploy would mean minor damage, so why would an insurance company pay out by totaling car?
My guess is the previous owner wanted it totaled. Depending where you live Ins have different guidelines so some states will total for minor issues and not to mention these are older cars so parts aren't that easy to source.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Did you check all the VIN tags? Each door, trunk, bumpers, hood, engine, transmission, etc?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
My guess is the previous owner wanted it totaled. Depending where you live Ins have different guidelines so some states will total for minor issues and not to mention these are older cars so parts aren't that easy to source.
But it was totalled in 2009 with 20k miles. It's about new.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:21 PM

Did you check all the VIN tags? Each door, trunk, bumpers, hood, engine, transmission, etc?
Transmission felt good, clutch not that bad. Suspenssion, nothing that a new set of coilovers would not fix, I guess.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Evocab
Hello Evo friends, new inexperienced guy here...

I just wanted to get some insight from you good people that know a lot about Evos and stuff. I found an Evo 8, 2005 but with a salvage title. The dealer has it priced at 10k firm. I went up there to visual inspect it and test drive it. At first, the guy that assisted me, mentioned that the Ebrake was bad and needed to be re adjusted. Also, mentioned that the car needed new rear shocks. One of the things that caught my attention is, that when we drove it (Luckily it was raining, so I could test stuff like, wiper, suspension, and the A/C... The A/C appeared not to be working, it was just blowing but not cold. When we got to back to the dealer, I brought this up to I guess the GM on duty and he started up the car again. This time, A/C was blowing cold but only on the vent of the driver side. Considering the car has 10k miles on it, and it being salvage. Does $10k sound reasonable price for this car? I'm sorry if I sound like a noob, I'm just new to the Evo world.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Below if the link of the car I went up to see.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ct...695307149.html

The passenger fender and bumper do not line up, look close at the pics. As someone else mentioned some impact was involved. Also keep in mind that a recent accident could've taken place with the car and the dealer took it in on trade or bought it at auction. The history takes time to show up. There is a lot of info about people trading or selling wrecked cars before it shows up on the title or Carfax. Carfax is not the best of the companies to follow for most accurate info. There is another company called Vehicle History Report and they tend to have more accurate info. You can find them listed on a lot of eBay car ads. Buyer beware when it comes to buying salvage, often times Ins companies will only insure the car but offer basic coverage and you can't get full coverage. It will boil down to state laws, dig deep into what you can and can not do with salvage title car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wanted EVO IX:
2006EvoIXer (Sep 11, 2018), Evocab (Sep 12, 2018)
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:24 PM

But it was totalled in 2009 with 20k miles. It's about new.
I know that sometimes, for "new cars" or recent year cars, it's hard to get OEM parts to repair a car, so insurance companies opt to total the vehicle and pay.