Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Evo 6 build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Evo 6 build

Hi guys and girls Im in Nz ( Hence the name ) and I am wanting a little advice as to if im heading in the right direction for my power increase. Nz has very little in the way of tuning guides etc on any type of vehicle and it seems every performance shop over here has an opinion that contradicts one another, I feel its because they all want my money. I have a very capable mechanic that can do basically everything yet he has no specific Evo performance knowledge so he recommended I do my own research as to engine mods, turbo etc and take it to him and he can assemble the lot.
Im thinking a Stroker kit and Garrett GT35-40R Turbo with Microtech LT8S ECU setup, The main things Im having problems with are the choice of supplier with a reasonable price and quality standard for the Stroker kit and whether its the right Turbo choice at all. Do I have to do anything with the cams?? Modify or replace? Im wanting around 600hp at the flywheel so from what I see out of the choices I have made thus far I may be on the right track? Also if im able to get more than 600 without to much fuss what should I be considering?
As far as I can see the Microtech will do the job of managing the lot pretty easily yet im undecided on what type of boost controller to use with this configuration and I have absolutely no idea on what sort of boost I would be running so I dont know if I have to tell Microtech to supply the larger map sensor for 40psi altho off the bat im assuming its going to be more than 25psi?.
Also the compression ratio of the Stroker kits seem to vary if ever so slightly 8.7:1 to 8.8:1 etc so Im going to need to know what compression ratio Im going to be wanting on the build and I cant seem to find that info out anywhere in regards to a 600hp combo.
A lot of questions I know but there simply is no other way to find out as Shops over here will only go as far as basic knowledge unless the customer is a gauranteed spender and tbh its cheaper for me to import all the parts myself

Last edited by Nz Mike; Jun 29, 2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

JUN stroker kit is top notch but it costs and arm and a leg . Cams is a MUST if you're target is 600hp and the turbo is a bit large (spool is 4,000+rpms) the gt-30r would be a better choice
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:12 PM

Hmm ok cheers for that from what I see Jun kits are 2.2 where as the others are 2.3? As for the cams any suggestions? Also i see that the gt30r turbo is only rated to 500hp where as Im looking for closer to 600?

Last edited by Nz Mike; Jun 29, 2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

if you can deal with the lag, the gt-35 is your friend. btw check this out http://www.automotosports.com/evo_gt_kit.asp
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:39 PM

Yer nice combos there for sure Cheers for the link that site has answered a lot of the question I have in regards to the cams and turbos

Last edited by Nz Mike; Jun 29, 2004 at 07:43 PM.