Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

I torqued my DP with 37 ftlbs of FAIL.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do yourself a favor and DIY a full remonal of O2 housing and take it to a machine shop, and have them drill& tap for you. You'll end up screwing your O2 housing up(no offense) and spending more money.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im considering all the options, torching it wouldnt work, as I cant even get anything to grip it. I went out and got a screw-extractor, or whatever its called today, going to give that a shot. I dont think it should be too hard to get out. If I cant get it tonight, then Ill quickly just buy a new o2 housing to replace my ported stock. Its been soaking in penetrating oil for about 24 hours, so Im hoping I get lucky now. Also got some reverse drill bits (I didnt know they made those). Wish me luck.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

torching could work, you torch around the bolt to expand the metal, after making a slot in the top of the broken part. heat aound the bolt to expand the threads until cherry red then turn it out.

as for the drilling and sparks i wouldnt worry, nothing will happen.

another thing you might try is use an air hammer with a chisel bit, hit the edge with it to get the bolt to turn, and once it turns a couple of times then you know its free then just use something to turn it out. but this may not work since there is not alot sticking out.

I personally dont ever have any luck with reverse bits when it comes to car parts. for me they only seem to work at my house.

but anyways you should give these a shot, the worst that could hapen is it wouldnt work.

this is why whenver removing bolts and nuts for exhaust work you must always torch them to heat and remove otherwise you will always break them off.

Last edited by camaro379ss; Feb 12, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Camaro.. the chisel idea sounds like a good plan to try before the extractor. Exhaust components suck.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

The chisel idea wont work. I drilled a hole, insterted the extractor tool, hammered it in real nice, turned it and broke it off in the hole in the bolt that is broke off in the hole on the o2 housing!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF

I grinded the tool down flat, going to try again with a bigger extractor bit. This is making me go nuts.

Last edited by Jameson_IXMR; Feb 12, 2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

If you need some vicodin, let me know...

If I were you, I would just order an O2 housing from TTP for 100 bucks.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Well my friend,
Looks like that bolt is in there rock solid. Looks like I need an O2 housing asap. I suppose Ill semd TTP a message, see if I can get one next-day early morning. Need it running by friday/sat, and Ill be busy all night thursday , so I guess thats what Im doing V-day morning .

A short summary
Tried gripping bolt and removing, couldnt grip it.
Tried chiseling bolt, bolt not moving.
PB blasted to hell, then tried the above, no luck.
Cut a slot for a flathead, flathead breaks grooves, no luck.
Drilled hole and used extractor, broke 3 extractor tools and too many drill bits.
Tried all of the above again, keep dreaming.

Looks like Im doing my second o2 housing install

(and yes vicodin sounds great right now)

If any vendor out there can get me an o2 housing asap please pm me Ill probably be on for a while. Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Update:
TTP-Engineering is sending me a replacement next-day air. Fast service, and I wont mention the numbers but a freaking awesome price (yes awesome). Highly recommend this guy.

As for me, I suppose Ill start removing the O2 housing....(fun fun fun)
Any advice on that one is welcome, last time it was a major PITA.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck!!

God forbid the last hurdle becomes getting your O2 Sensor out of it...
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure it will, or a bolt will break off in the turbo....
(knock on wood)
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

same thing happened to me, pulled the O2 drilled, tapped, put back on. not too bad but enough to frustrate me!
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thought about drilling/tapping, but mine as well replace it. It was only a ported stock. I could remove/replace it with next day delivery faster than I could drill/retap it as I would have to take it somewhere to get it drilled out, I suck at re-threading holes straight.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jameson_IXMR
I suck at re-threading holes straight.
Thats what she said...

I kill myself sometimes...
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

make sure you use heat to remove the remaining bolts, especially the o2 sensor, otherwise you will be in the same situation time and time again.

**for future reference if that ever happens again and you can cut a deep enough slot, you can also use a thing called an impact screwdriver, simply slighlty twist it to preload it and then hit it with a hammer and you instatly get up to 250ft lbs of turning torque. you can pick one up from sears for about $30.

and drilling out studs takes FOREEEEEEEEEVER and can use multiple drill bits. I am a service tech and i didnt want to keep on having to do that so i quickly acquired the skill of the torch.

Last edited by camaro379ss; Feb 12, 2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Especially for the sensor... great. I dont have a torch available either, guess Ill go shopping tomarrow again...

My undertray was already removed, took off the LICP, left the bumper on. Radiator is still in until I think I may damage it, but I have a piece of cardboard over it and on top of that a piece of sheet metal. Upper heat shield is off, the lower one is off but tied up cause the o2 sensor is stopping it from being moved. Next step is the o2 sensor, just PB blasted the bajeezus out of it..... After the sensor is out, its an L bracket and 5 bolts to freedom. If I remeber correctly. Any hints-tips appreciated.
Thanks

Quick Reply: I torqued my DP with 37 ftlbs of FAIL.