Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Tryustz Powered Gauge Overlay Install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tryustz Powered Gauge Overlay Install

Hi everyone I thought that perhaps this install needed a little help in the How To section.

First off there are current threads about the overlays:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=227849

One guy said he did this in 30 minutes, my hat is off to you! I think maybe on the second or third try I may get near this time but for mortals lets block off about 60-90 minutes.

What you need or should have to do this job:

1) Philips medium screw driver, small flat blade
2) a 1/4 drive 10mm socket and wrench
3) 3m vampire tap/scotch lock 18-22 gauge
4) a small amount of 18-22 gauge wire (like about 2 feet)
5) double backed (optional) and regular scotch tape
6) a drill with a small bit and matched sheet metal screws
7) wire tires (never can have too many)
8) exacto knife

1) Pop your hood. Test the gages 1 at a time and each stake. This is important!!! I had a loose hot on my speedo gauge which I needed to redo. Way better to find this out before you start.
2) Im not going to fully repeat Trustz instructions. So I am going to say that you can remove the 5 bolts necessary to take out the bezels and gage cluster.
3) The ACD pod just pops out on the drivers side of the pod. The directions say fog/acd.. fog must be for older versions but on a IX this is your ACD pod. If your stupid like me you will try to take out the fog light switch on the lower part of your dash, dont do this!!
4) Some gentle persuasion and the cluster will be hanging by the two big power plugs. Ok here is whats not in the directions: these thing have a release at the top thats shrouded by a small hoop of plastic. So basically the release is like a 'man in a cave' in a cave. You cant see this, well maybe you can if your good at yoga. Take a small flat screwdriver depress the release and slowly work the plugs out, dont yank on the wires!!!
5) Now your cluster is in your hands. Its basically snapped together just pop it apart, NO tools are required to do this.
6) Place your overlays on using a tiny bit of scotch tape at the edges. I test fitted with the cluster plastic (the one wiht the holes) a few times to make sure no tape showed (exactoing as needed). If your really **** (power the cluster) make sure all your little lights like the door ajar line up (these arent powered) it will look ****ty if you miss. The tape is to keep them from shifting. Not hold the car together.
7) You dont need the turn signal overlays.
8) Any of the needled gauges can be swept a bit so that you can clear the overlay over the pin. Patience pays off big here
9) Route the cables using a tiny bit of tape to keep them in place while snapping down the 'holey' cluster piece. There lots o notches so being tricky is not required. DONT bind the power feeds to the templates!
10) Mount the transformer:
a) You dont have a lot of cable so I extended the hot lead with about 6inches or so.
b) I put my transformer on the big beam to the right side of the pod well. it tucks in there nice. I used my Double back tape to wedge it into place and to keep it from moving.
c) The switch assembly I dropped the switch down through to by the ac controls theres a nice peice of metal there that you can drill and mount your gagues in, plus stash a pretty decent sized assembly away from being kicked or scratching your leg, the cables just barely reach!
d) Use the vampire tap for which ever wire is your preference (rtm).
e) Theres a bolt that is dead center that goes into a bracket conected to the beam. Use this for your ground. Its the 10mm.
11) Before you get all carried away! test by plugging in the big modules and turning on the ignition . Makes sure everything looks right!
12) Reassemble the dash in the reverse order.
13) Drill into the metals and mount the switch firmly on the left side of the ac controls (the only metal you see)

Your done!!

I think thats about it. the hardest part for me was being tall and having big hands and moving inside the cluster. Some of the little guys definitely could get in and kick *** at this.

As for results: Mistubishi should have done this from the factory! A flick of the switch and my overlays go from blue to green! 180MPH and 9K tach add to the coolness factor as well. Although I am not sure they really work up there and will never be able to tell you.

Cheers!!!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics

Any pics man!!! Hook it up for the visual people.