Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Gauge Questions on Install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Questions on Install

I am installing a mechanical boost gauge, electrical oil pressure and electrical oil temperature gauge. Here are my questions:

1. Where is a good place to run the wires coming from the gauges out to the engine bay?

2. On the mechanical boost gauge, can I extend the hose if it is too short? Is that a particular hose?

3. I need to tap into ACC power can I get that from the factory harness that goes to the Radio? If it does what color is that wire? (Sorry my car is an RS no radio)

4. I alos need to tap into a parklight source, is this line also available in the factory radio harness? If yes what color is it?

All the help is appreciated. Thanks,
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by W06EMR
I am installing a mechanical boost gauge, electrical oil pressure and electrical oil temperature gauge. Here are my questions:

1. Where is a good place to run the wires coming from the gauges out to the engine bay?

2. On the mechanical boost gauge, can I extend the hose if it is too short? Is that a particular hose?

3. I need to tap into ACC power can I get that from the factory harness that goes to the Radio? If it does what color is that wire? (Sorry my car is an RS no radio)

4. I also need to tap into a park light source, is this line also available in the factory radio harness? If yes what color is it?

All the help is appreciated. Thanks,
1. You can run the wires through the boot in the firewall right behind the pedals or on the passenger side, there is a small hole that you can run the wires through.
2. You can extend the vacuum hose to any port that registers boost. Most people tap into a hose that is running from the intake.
3. If you have a 12 volt circuit finder (auto zone sells them for less than 5 bucks) you can do the hunt and peck for a 12 volt source. I don't know off the top of my head what the factory wiring color is on the stereo.
4. You can tap into your light switch, again search for a 12 volt source that turns on only when the light turns on.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the reply, can I just drill a hole right behind the radio firewall?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't. Not unless you are absolutely sure where the drill bit will come out. Running it through the boot is how I have installed several guages and electrical lines.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKidd113
1. You can run the wires through the boot in the firewall right behind the pedals or on the passenger side, there is a small hole that you can run the wires through.

Do you have any pictures of this? I was looking at the firewall and could not see the grommet or holes.