Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

fuel pump rewire

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
fuel pump rewire

Well since I couldnt find a how to on installing a rewire kit I figured I would write one. This is my first how to so hopefully its ok and clear enough. The kit Im installing is from STM. Found here http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...rewire_kit.htm
The first thing you have to do is remove the rear seat bottom cushion. Pull on the 2 locks in the front of the cushion to release it. Then remove the black square cover on the drivers side. 4 phillips screws. You will then have to remove the fuel pump connector by squeezing it and pulling it off. Next cut the covering away from the wires. See picture

If you look at the wiring diagram it shows the thicker black and white wires are for the fuel pump

Cut these wires about 11/2" away from connector.

The relay connector comes with 5 wires

To be safe I removed the center red wire since it wont be used. It will come out by giving it a good yank on the red wire.

Take the ground wire the kit came with and put the gold terminal onto the end after stripping the wire. Slide the rubber part back onto the wire away from the end. I used some pliers to crimp the terminal onto the wire. You can either keep it this way or solder it. I highly recommend soldering all the connections.

Then after it cools off slid the rubber insulator back to cover the solder connection.

Do the same thing to the power wire. The shorter end from the fuse which will connect to the battery. Next you will have to find a good ground. I used the bolt which holds down the seat backrest. You will have to sand the paint away to get a good connection.

Attatch your ground wire

Next you will have to connect the relay to the vehicle wiring harness and to the fuel pump itself. Total of 4 wires. Connect the supplied red power wire from the battery to the blue wire of the relay. The yellow wire of the relay goes to the white wire of the fuel pump connector you cut earlier. The black wire of the relay goes to the white wire in the vehicle wiring harness that was cut earlier. The white wire of the relay goes to the black wire in the vehicle wiring harness. Next you will connect the supplied ground wire to the black wire you cut at the fuel pump connector. Here is a picture of all the wires connected

Solder all connections and tape them all. Tape the edge of the opening to prevent the wires from shorting out on the body as seen in picture. Tuck the wires in neatly and plug in your fuel pump.

All these wires need to come into the car along with the relay. To make sure the wires are not being smashed you will have to bend the cover plate to allow the wires to come through.

Tape the relay down as shown in the picture.

If you want put some of the corrugated tubing that came with the kit over the smaller wires

You will have to run your power wire up to your battery. Pull the fuse before attatching the power wire to the battery. Reinstall your seat and put your fuse in. Car should start right up. Depending on what kind of pump you have you may need and aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. I have a DW300 pump and its overrunning my stock regulator. Base pressure is about 43psi@idle. Mine jumped up to about 55psi@idle. This is with E85. Might jump up more on pump gas. Hopefully this helps some people out. If you have any questions or if I missed something just let me know.

Last edited by wizzo 8; Mar 1, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice writeup.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

It took me about an hour and a half to write with downloading and upload pictures. Finally I got a response. Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the post! i was just about to do this on saturday. You beat me to it. Well done!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:48 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
thanks for taking the time to post this, nicely done

Dan (drb)
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Glad I could help the community
Old Dec 2, 2011, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

I was waiting for someone to do this writeup.
Thanks Wizzo
Old Dec 2, 2011, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Great work and excellent write up! Thank you!

Are you still running out of fuel with your DW pump after the rewire?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kidloco51
Great work and excellent write up! Thank you!

Are you still running out of fuel with your DW pump after the rewire?
On E70 yes. I was able to go from 27lbs of boost to 30 after rewire. I did hit 32lbs but it was way too lean. Im going to try the walbro 400lph next but I know in the long run I will need a DP.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Yes!!! thanks wizzo 8, I was hoping someone made a how to for this proceedure. Pics make the instructions a 100X easier to follow. Thanks again.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey Wizzo what size injectors are you running?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Fic 1450s
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:47 AM

I did a similar install to mine, but the battery is in the boot and i've put the relays for the tank pump and the 044 in an install

Name:  IMG_0407.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  209.5 KB
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
On E70 yes. I was able to go from 27lbs of boost to 30 after rewire. I did hit 32lbs but it was way too lean. Im going to try the walbro 400lph next but I know in the long run I will need a DP.
What lbs/min you hitting? I could go as far as 34 psi on my hta green on e85 and was still fine. Are you on the fp black?

Quick Reply: fuel pump rewire