Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Another DIY Cold Air Intake Heat Shield - With Testing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building one the second i get home from vacation!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:45 AM
Evolving Member

If the air entering the turbo is hotter, then the air exiting the turbo is hotter (assuming that the air in not able to sit in the turbo long enough to obtain temperature equilibrium with it (which it isn't)). This hotter air is cooled down by the intercooler at pretty much the same rate, which means that the air exiting the intercooler is hotter
AFAIK the best an intercooler can do is to cool the air at the same ambient temp,am i wrong?

i am looking forward though to see numbers (temps on intake/intake mani with & without the heat shield..)

Michael.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:13 AM

That toothpick idea is really genius. I was wondering how I would adapt it to fit the hood.

I am having a hard time trying to decide if I want to make one for my stock intake pipe with the vibrant maf adapter, and amsoil filter, OR if I want to buy a aftermarket intake and build one then.

Great job on the DIY
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Great thread guys! Someone start making these, I want one!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:57 AM

That actually doesn't look bad at all! Probably pretty effective giving the size of it and looks like it sits pretty close to the hood.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maikcat
AFAIK the best an intercooler can do is to cool the air at the same ambient temp,am i wrong?

i am looking forward though to see numbers (temps on intake/intake mani with & without the heat shield..)

Michael.
Hey Michael, you are correct that the best an intercooler could do would be to cool the charge air to ambient temperatures as seen by the intercooler. However, the air does not stay in the intercooler long enough for all of the heat to be transferred to the intercooler and the surrounding air. It would be great to get some data to show, but I doubt you will get too many people stepping up to get the data. They would need to have ports at different points along the intercooler and intake piping to enable them to put thermocouples in the airstream to measure the temps.

I was impressed that the OP actually took some measurements to validate the effectiveness of his creation.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fantrman
Good idea. Where did you get that funnel connected to the front fascia?
Here is the duct that I used , but unfortunately it's not a direct fit:

Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3628
Part # 3628-BLACK

Medium NACA Duct, Single Hose

Computer Aided Design (CAD) and wind tunnel testing have been combined to produce these NACA ducts. Attention to detail results in maximum air flow with minimal drag. They are molded from tough, high-impact clear or black plastic. An integrally molded flange (approximately .75" wide on most ducts) makes them easy to install in body panels, air dams or side windows. The outlet nipple is sized to fit our 3" air ducting hose. Approximately 9.5" x 4.5" opening excluding flange.

I modified (cut-up) a stock inlet piece (part # MR379037) and I used a piece of black plastic that I cut out of another part I had laying around, and riveted all this together as shown.
Attached Thumbnails Another DIY Cold Air Intake Heat Shield - With Testing-3628-plus.jpg   Another DIY Cold Air Intake Heat Shield - With Testing-100_3712.jpg   Another DIY Cold Air Intake Heat Shield - With Testing-100_3714.jpg   Another DIY Cold Air Intake Heat Shield - With Testing-100_3715.jpg  
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drb, does the ACD pump get the cooling it needs with all the airflow diverted away by the duct?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:27 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdngdragon
drb, does the ACD pump get the cooling it needs with all the airflow diverted away by the duct?

I have a 2003 EVO VIII so it does not have an ACD pump.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:50 PM

Good job sir! That looks great. I'm glad to see some testing too, thats exciting!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. It seems to still be working well. Note the testing was done on one of our typical hot days here in Florida. I suspect the temperature difference will be a lot more when the ambient temperature is lower, like in the 60s or 70s. I'll test it again when it's cooler out and report back.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:56 PM

The cooler the incoming air is the denser it is. More oxygen molecules meaning more power. If you start with a cooler temp to be copressed, warmed back up by turbo compressing it, cooling back down by the intercooler. It will be cooler going.into the motor. I forget what they say the theory is for air temperature to power. But it applies to this setup. Great right up and nice looking piece.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:07 PM

Nice job!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
one of these days when i have enough free time, blood and skin to spare I'll tackle this

Quick Reply: Another DIY Cold Air Intake Heat Shield - With Testing