Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to seafoam your evo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm... i wanted to try this on my e92, but was afraid due to all the posts about NOT doing it to turbo cars. might have to give it a go since im now past 100k on that car.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ej1power
hmm... i wanted to try this on my e92, but was afraid due to all the posts about NOT doing it to turbo cars. might have to give it a go since im now past 100k on that car.
If you just wanna be cautious don't go WOT on a high amount of boost.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ej1power
Well you saw a video of my evo seafoamed doing a few WOT and it's still fine. If you're scared, like mention above don't WOT.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much fuel was in the tank when you added the sea foam?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ausevo7
how much fuel was in the tank when you added the sea foam?
You can see in the video when he starts it up after letting it sit for 10 minutes, he has half a tank.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 08:41 PM

Still have to seafoam my car
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've heard that replacing the oil with transmission fluid cleans it much better. Transmission fluid is a very strong detergent, and if you let your car idle for about 20 minutes with transmission fluid circulating it will clean all of the carbon out. But it doesn't lubricate well so do not put a load on the engine.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a great video with before and after pics inside the cylinders of using Sea Foam in the intake.

My personal experience with Sea Foam has been very positive. Using it in the crank case, not on my Evo as it's still pretty new. But I did have an 85 Ford F-150 with a 302ci V8 fuel injection with mods. It was a damn good running engine. But at around 90K miles I had a valve get stuck, it had an upgraded cam. Anyway that damn valve stuck and a friend of mine suggested I use Sea Foam in the crank case. So I did and that valve came unstuck in about 10 minutes. Frickin sweet!

I've also used it in my lawn mower to positive results.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 08:11 PM

Just to post my negative experience with seafoam - I've done two cars with 150,000+ miles before, with 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 via brake booster sucked into the IM. Both cars gradually began to burn more and more oil, eventually needing new rings. YMMV with this one.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 08:56 PM

not sure if i could do this or not..
Old Feb 17, 2016, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wvrx
Just to post my negative experience with seafoam - I've done two cars with 150,000+ miles before, with 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 via brake booster sucked into the IM. Both cars gradually began to burn more and more oil, eventually needing new rings. YMMV with this one.
That's because it cleaned out all the debris that's been sitting/covering those seals. Which exposes the engine's true self, meaning it was already time to replace those rings, those wacky dirty things inside of it just clogged it up like a bunch of leafs in a sewer drain. It wasnt a rotary was it?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by leemaster
That's because it cleaned out all the debris that's been sitting/covering those seals. Which exposes the engine's true self, meaning it was already time to replace those rings, those wacky dirty things inside of it just clogged it up like a bunch of leafs in a sewer drain. It wasnt a rotary was it?
I was thinking the same thing. I've read about other people with high milage engines using sea foam and causing problems. What may be happening is as the engine wears over time, the carbon build up works its way into the worn sections of the the various moving parts. Creating a sort of seal that will hold up under ordinary conditions, but once you clean it up those worn spots will leak. Or, perhaps there could just be so much carbon that when you use a cleaner like sea foam, it dislodges so much of it that It damages your engine. Clearly there's something like that happening. I don't think a simple "detergent" would damage solid metal over a period of a few minutes. Worn seals maybe, now that I think of it. It would be interesting if someone could test that on a torn down high milage engine from a junk yard or something.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:52 AM

never heard of this before. thanks
Old Mar 15, 2016, 05:48 PM

awesome!!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:29 PM

Great Video

Quick Reply: How to seafoam your evo