Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Request: Remote Start -

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Request: Remote Start -

MY: '03 GSR

Alright. I live in Michigan and we all know that the northern states are quite cold. Now I have looked through numerous threads about what system to purchase and install, how to by pass the clutch switch, or a system that will sense you're in a gear and not allow it to start.

Here are my main questions:

1.) does our key have a transponder built into it, or a resistor in the shank?
2.) if I were to have my key within close range i.e in the steering column would a regular cut key start the car? Also would that allow the car to start with out a special box?
3.) Has anyone made a special safe guard mechanism that will only allow the car to start in neutral, i.e a device in the shift assembly, or at the transmission shift linkage. I would guess this would have to be a momentary device that would open in neutral but closed in all gear 1 through 5. Seems like a task to create, and how reliable would it be?

If the key idea would work [placing ti close to the column] what system would you suggest purchasing? I would liek to spend anywhere from 100.00-250.00 on a set up.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
1. key has a transponder yes

2. yes, but you could just disable the need for a transponder in the ECU instead

3. any good remote start for manuals will have the option to purchase that as an addon

$100-$250 is going to get you a garbage setup. if you're not willing to pay the price for a nice system, don't get one at all
Old Nov 15, 2013, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got the smart start from viper setup. you can disable the trasnponder on the reflash, also disconect the clutch pedal sendor, The one near the floor at the pedal. for the gear yo need to put a microswitch just like the one for nos system on the pedal, but these time on the shifter reading if you left it on 1st gear.. have fun and get a prof doing it buddy..
Old Nov 18, 2013, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by llDemonll
1. key has a transponder yes

2. yes, but you could just disable the need for a transponder in the ECU instead

3. any good remote start for manuals will have the option to purchase that as an addon

$100-$250 is going to get you a garbage setup. if you're not willing to pay the price for a nice system, don't get one at all
When it comes to quality, I understand everyone wants the best. I also feel it is how well you wire in your system. A $250.00 system wired in correctly should not have any issue starting your car. remote start systems are not a very difficult system. What I would like to have is the first gear lockout in case the shifter is misplaced into any gear besides neutral I would say that will be the toughest challenge.

As for the re-flash, would that be something Mitsubishi could do? [ I have a feel not ] since it may interfere with legal issues, but I was just asking a question

Is there a issue with EVO's not being able to heat up that well in the cold? This is the only reason why I want one.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Not sure why you'd want mitsubishi to reflash it, any tuner could do that; your car is long out of warranty if that's your concern

If you want just remote start, sure, $250 could get you a setup. If you want an alarm to go with the remote start as well (which you should) spend the money from the get-go and get a clifford or viper setup
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:28 PM

I've got to be another proponent of what was already said here. Get it professionally installed, and a Viper/Clifford or Compustar. Do your research and find a good shop in the area, because just like tuner shops, there are plenty of hacks. I was an installer for 7 years, and while the Evo is fairly simple as far as the vehicle networks go...I've fixed more halfway-done remote start installs than I care to count. The best part is when people say "I installed it all correctly but it won't remote start." Well then it obviously isn't installed right, is it...

This is a blanket generalization. Who knows, you may have better luck, but based on the questions above, I think you should leave it to a pro.

To answer your questions:
1-2) Why do you want to disable your immobilizer? It's easy enough to steal an Evo as it is, plugging in an ECU that has the immibilizer disabled. If you're hell bent on this, yes, just bring it to a shop that tunes Evo's and they can disable it. Unfortunately, our "special box" as you call it, does need a key inside it whereas most new cars have immobilizer bypass modules that don't require a key.

3) Yes, I have built these. Also, yes, most remote starts have features built-in where it forces you to turbo-time the car to be able to remote start it, guaranteeing it's in neutral. But, that wasn't a feature prior to a few years ago when us installers had to create our own solutions, and also a lot of people don't want the hassle of turbo timing it every time since most cars aren't turboed.

I did this with magnetic switches (DEI 8601 for example) JB Welded to the shift lever, in the center console, so that the neutral safety ground signal is only present when the magnetic switch is closed, i.e. the two parts of it are close together when the car is in neutral. This takes some creative engineering, and again, is something I'd leave to a professional.