Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

$20 Mini Oil Trap HOW-TO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2004, 09:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
$20 Mini Breather/Oil Trap HOW-TO

Many of us who upgrade our MAF pipe or intercooler problem have a bit of a dilemma.. Buy a "real" oil catch can, or pop a breather on the valve cover only to have it dribble oil.

Attached is a picture of a quick and easy, and SMALL assembly. Basically its an improvement on another Member's earlier post because of the tendency of his "Fuel filter" trap to get saturated and become restrictive.

The Breather itself is a standard "Small" Filter element like you see at pep boys, its just a cheap ($10) gauze air filter. The Trap portion of it, is constructed of one of those inexpensive inline "Mr. Gasket" Replacable filters.. The modification to the filter was I unscrewed the assembly, and removed the "Screen filter" so its just an empty void. I then reassembled it and put the whole thing together.

The best way to mount this is either straight up (which will allow the oil to recirculate back to the engine under vacuum) or at sideways which will trap the oil and will occasionally have to be drained.

Obviously this has a few advantages.. Its cheap, VERY small, and looks half-way decent... Have fun guys!

(I made another version with a nice looking container that the oil can drip into using a T-fitting, but it didn't look as good, and I was concerned that the container would fall off, break, or melt)

Now the moment of truth.. The picture..
Attached Thumbnails  Mini Oil Trap HOW-TO-mini-oil-trap.jpg  
Old Apr 19, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread here