Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

sound system recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound system recommendation

Hey guys,

I'm considering a system in the range of $8000-$1000 (parts). I do know I want MBQ PCE216 for the fronts. I'd also like crappy rears, a 5ch amp, and a single sub. I'm guess any rears will do. I've been suggested JL or Phoenix for the amp. Any sub recommendations?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

JL W6v2 are nice anot as expensive as the w7. I tink you meant 800 right. cause for 8000. well you could get just about anything
Old Jan 11, 2005, 04:05 PM

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread but -

For those of you with the factory leather/sound/and sun package

How does the Infinity sub that comes with the package sound?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

It's got decent bass....nothing special though, nothing compared to an aftermarket 10" sub with an amp.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

I'm kinda lost with this system design personally, but to each their own. I had a setup years ago in a car that was MBQ speakers, PPI amps, and JL subs, and I loved it. It sounds like you're doing a bit of overkill on the front speakers based on your budget *unless that is 8K up there*.
I think Phoenix is nice stuff, so in my opinion you can't go wrong there. Do you have the stock head unit? If not I'd upgrade so you don't have to do high-pass stuff (although they're much better than they were years ago) and you can get native bass control in an aftermarket unit.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hope your budget doesn't include the head unit....
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

i did 1 jl w6v2 10", alpine MRV-F540, MRV-M500 amps, MB Quart Q series components 6.5" in front and the premium series coaxials for the rear and it sounds great, im using AVIC-N1 pioneer navi/dvd/ect head unit and love it.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

1 10" Image dynamic woofer, and a kicker amp. I also have Infiniti Kapps all around, and using my jensen dvd HU powering them. I set the bass all the way down and leave the bass up to my 10" in the trunk. Its not very loud outside, but inside it sounds real nice. You dont really need anything more, unless you like to showoff and let theifs hear your system and steal it when you park your car.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

i assume that's 800-1000, and I assume you have an Evo AND I assume you don't want to add too much weight to your Evo, the W6 and W7s are nice, but they weigh as much as two W3s...my .02 is to aim for a lightweight one with decent sound quality, or a REALLY lightweight box, and rip out the spare tire and tools...if you don't mind the added weight in your butt end, and don't want to spend a ton for SLIGHTLY better sound quality, get the JL w6 over the 7, as for the size, well that's entirely up to you and your budget, i have a 12w3v2 in my trunk and it hits pretty damn hard and is great quality wise, i'd guess a 10w6 would be of equal quality, but a 5 channel amp could cause problems unless it's a REALLY high power 5 channel amp...4 channel + Single Channel is the way to go, hell if you just want crappy rear speakers just get a deck that has pretty decent power output and a single channel amp for the sub...the alpine amps are great, especially if you get an alpine head unit cuz then you can use the amp-link software...800-1000 is gonna be tough though, no matter how crappy of rears you're getting
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

ive got 6-1/2" Infinity Reference 6002i (rear) and 6002si (front) coaxials at all four corners.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, how do you like your system civ? I wondered if you got it all finished and working
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Hey, how do you like your system civ? I wondered if you got it all finished and working

hey man, yeah its been working since saturday or sunday before last. Sounds good, cant tell much difference when turned down but sounds better turned up and CD quality sounds alot better. It sounds pretty good having tweets at all four corners on the coax's and also the stock tweets in the pillars. It was an easy install once circuit city just gave me some oversized 6 1/2" adapters from alpine speakers.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, and I bet radio sound quality is better by far, that sucks on the stock system...anyway, I'm done hijacking...
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

i'd think twice about rears... if you setup your front stage correcty, you really won't need them. this also opens up your selection of amps, as you can run a 3/4 channel amp instead. in particular, the xtant 3300x I can only think of 4-5 really good 5/6 channel amps.

head unit is personal preference, personally, I like stuff from a few years back, it can be had for cheap on ebay, holds it's value, and sounds damn good. I think sony c910s are still selling for 150-200ish and that deck is amazing. same with alpine 7939s, eclipse 5303r, nak 45z.

sub is your choice, image dynamics idqs are very versatile subs, won't cost ya an arm and a leg either. jl w3s are always a classic.

spend an extra 50 on a line driver, pg or ac, and put the rest of your $$ into fiberglass kickpanels, and a well designed ported enclosure.

the above will cost ya less then $1k, depending on your installation proficieny. and will sound amazing. all the above is from personal experience...

if you're really set on having rears, or you'd really like to take it to the next level, yet stay w/in that budget. pm me and I can help ya a little more
Old Jan 11, 2005, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I do have an evo, guess I forgot to mention that. A friend also got me a Pioneer HU (DEH-7600MP) for xmas. Finally, that is $800-$1000.

I basically want a decent entry lvl system that I can enjoy in my car, don't need to set off car alarms in the next block. I'm still going with the MBQ fronts and by the replies and my friend's recommendatio, I'll seriously consider JL subs. I really don't care about the backs so I'll prob end up not getting any.

A friend also suggested powering the rears with my HU and using 3/4 ch amps for the front and sub. That should save me another $100+ or so.

I'm guessing Xtant and Phoenix Gold 3/4ch amps are similar bang for the buck. Any other amps I should look into?

Guess what I'll be really worried about is the kickpanels and an enclosure.

Quick Reply: sound system recommendation