Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Mr. Saikou's Stainless catch can Project

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Saikou's Stainless catch can Project

I just wanna show off my progress on this new stainless oil catch can design. It is all TIG welded using all stainless components, except the sight glass, hose fittings and drain valve.
I put two 10-32 stainless studs at the top for mounting. I haven't made a bracket yet, but it is just gonna be a L-bracket shaped piece.
I am not gonna bling it out and polish it cuz I think the "as welded" look is kind cool.
The weight as welded is 716grams or 1.6 lbs.
The inside is packed with stainless baffling material. There is a stainless tube that goes from the incoming line at the top, almost to the bottom to allow as much distance for the oil to condense on the baffle material as possible. This is actually longer than shown in the cut-away graphic.
In the 3rd picture you can see the baffle material through the EXIT hose fitting, and the sight glass is installed.

What do you think ?

(PS- it is hard to take pictures of shiny stuff, but it looks pretty nice in person)

Thanks for looking !

Mr. Saikou ^^V
Attached Thumbnails Mr. Saikou's Stainless catch can Project-ss_catchcan_project1.jpg   Mr. Saikou's Stainless catch can Project-catchcan_info.jpg   Mr. Saikou's Stainless catch can Project-ss_catchcan_sneak1-007.jpg  

Last edited by Saikou_kun; May 12, 2006 at 06:35 AM.
Old May 12, 2006, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

very nice for the do it your self type of guy .
Old May 12, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Can I ask why you don't use a vent filter like the jazz can or the moroso? The jazz and moroso have them.

EDIT - I checked your site out and saw that you make a slim one that only has 1 inlet.

From what I know about DSM's, the PCV valve closes under full boost increasing crankcase pressure. Thats why RRE and others used to suggest removing the PCV all together and using a 1/8 NPT threaded barb and vent it into a catch can. I don't know if this is applicable to the Evo.

Now, when the engine is at idle, I don't know if it will suck in air from the catch can via the PCV and breather! A check valve (1 way valve) may be necessary on the lines to prevent that....

I want RRE's opinion on this subject. I will call them sometime! I wonder if bushcur and others use a catchcan or not and how they have it setup!

Sorry to hijack, I am trying to improve your design and make a quality catch can I would buy!

Last edited by EvoIXMR; May 12, 2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old May 12, 2006, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Can I ask why you don't use a vent filter like the jazz can or the moroso? The jazz and moroso have them.
A vent like that is emissions illegal. Also, it interrupts the vacuum system and usually makes you run lean.
Old May 12, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

looks great....keep us posted on this and the evo spec one! subscribed
Old May 12, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nicely made catch can!
Old May 12, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR

EDIT - I checked your site out and saw that you make a slim one that only has 1 inlet.

From what I know about DSM's, the PCV valve closes under full boost increasing crankcase pressure. Thats why RRE and others used to suggest removing the PCV all together and using a 1/8 NPT threaded barb and vent it into a catch can. I don't know if this is applicable to the Evo.

Now, when the engine is at idle, I don't know if it will suck in air from the catch can via the PCV and breather! A check valve (1 way valve) may be necessary on the lines to prevent that....

I want RRE's opinion on this subject. I will call them sometime! I wonder if bushcur and others use a catchcan or not and how they have it setup!

Sorry to hijack, I am trying to improve your design and make a quality catch can I would buy!
Interesting that someone would recommend removing the PCV valve, it only allows vapor to exit out which is a good thing. The vapor is normally sucked out by the vacuum. So, if you just vent it, I don't think it is really working properly. I dunno if I understood what they are suggesting you do. If you wanna elaborate that would be cool.

I think the best think would be to get RRE's opinion like you said. The PCV system works well, but a catchcan is a definite benefit in the line .

Last edited by Saikou_kun; May 12, 2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old May 12, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XK120
looks great....keep us posted on this and the evo spec one! subscribed
The EVO slim type functions the same, I just think it is easier to mount behind the strut brace on the firewall because it is kinda flat.
This one will be the universal type, but it depends on your preference. I am holding back on the slime type to figure out the easiest way to mount it.
Old May 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Any updates on the water injection mount?
Old May 12, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denial
Any updates on the water injection mount?
We still have to make the body design shorter to make it easier to fit in the stock IC hose. There is more design work needed to do a retrofit in hard IC pipes.