Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

What cleaning product to use on plastic exterior trim?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by braille
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. I can honestly say that I swear by it. It was first introduced into the marine industry for boats then more and more auto enthusiasts began to discover this product.. I've used it on my roommates SI and now my IX, and it performs as promised. It acts as a sunscreen for plastic, vinyl, leather, etc. and provides 100% UV protection. The stuff is a little pricey compared to armor all and other brands but it lasts a lot longer. It does enhance the depth of the black and creates a satin shine. Try it, you'll like it.

Mike
Thanks for the tip bro!!!! I definitely picked it up and used it. I used it on the black plastic around the mirror on the passenger side. I used armor all on the drivers side just to compare the difference.
It has been two days and the difference is night and day. The drivers side is very dull compared to the passenger side. I HIGHLY recommend the 303 Aerospace Protectant
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for cleaning the plastic pieces I use warm soapy distilled water with a 100% cotton cloth. For any stubborn stains I use the finest stainless steel wool you can find, along with warm soapy distilled water.
And for cleaning the rubber trim and inner door trim I use the same things, but after I am done I apply a very very thin coat of 100% pure vegetable oil, and then wipe clean. You wont find an easier way to do it, There is nothing out there that is going to really protect the plastic from fading and cracking over time, Its the heat from the sun that causes all of the problems over time. But to minimize acid rain and other harsh chemicals from getting into the plastic you can also use saddle soap and a mild wax. There are a million and one products out there, but remember over time if your car is an outside car, there wont be much you can do to prevent damage no matter what kind of super "Aerospace" protectant you use, just like paint you get oxidation on plastic pieces as well, and just like paint you sometimes have to get a little bit agressive and break out the elbow grease. The best way to protect anything on your car is to keep it out of the sun and to keep it out of the rain. Just keep it inside if you can.

Last edited by superscout03; Feb 27, 2007 at 05:02 PM.