Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Spider Web swirls in direct sunlight ...

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, this thread reminds me of a friends TB Evo I did. The problem is not so much the color. More that Mitsu paint is really soft. Almost like Honda paint. You need to be very careful when washing, always use the 2 bucket method.

To do it properly you really need to do this in a 2-3 step method. As Mitchubishi will tell you, dark colors really need a couple of step process to get it right. If you use something too aggressive the paint will have a haze. So you use the aggressive step first. Then step down to a lighter, finishing polish. Then finally a wax of choice. The best thing for newbies is to find a local automotive paint store. Most of them carry the Meguiars line. While not the most ideal line of procucts, they are well made, and very good for beginners.

Meguiar's #83, followed by Meguiar's #80 followed by their Carnauba wax is a good combo you can find local. If you want to PM me, I can give you some links and some more user friendly products that make for a better finish. And BTW, you really need to look into a machine polisher, lean more towards to dual action. Usually from a company called porter cable, otherwise known as a PC...

Check out the following links my friend, and your detailing questions will be answered. This is where I learned everything I know.

http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47

http://guidetodetailing.com/

http://autopia.org

#83 with a cutting pad and a PC...

Here is

Last edited by O3EVO; May 16, 2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that ^^^ is amazing...not that I have a problem with my RR RS but for sure i'll be using the product in the future.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by O3EVO
Haha, this thread reminds me of a friends TB Evo I did. The problem is not so much the color. More that Mitsu paint is really soft. Almost like Honda paint. You need to be very careful when washing, always use the 2 bucket method.

To do it properly you really need to do this in a 2-3 step method. As Mitchubishi will tell you, dark colors really need a couple of step process to get it right. If you use something too aggressive the paint will have a haze. So you use the aggressive step first. Then step down to a lighter, finishing polish. Then finally a wax of choice. The best thing for newbies is to find a local automotive paint store. Most of them carry the Meguiars line. While not the most ideal line of procucts, they are well made, and very good for beginners.

Meguiar's #83, followed by Meguiar's #80 followed by their Carnauba wax is a good combo you can find local. If you want to PM me, I can give you some links and some more user friendly products that make for a better finish. And BTW, you really need to look into a machine polisher, lean more towards to dual action. Usually from a company called porter cable, otherwise known as a PC...

Check out the following links my friend, and your detailing questions will be answered. This is where I learned everything I know.

http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47

http://guidetodetailing.com/

http://autopia.org

#83 with a cutting pad and a PC...

Here is

Thats simply amazing... I currently do use the PC and like i said the one guy said to use some type of glaze on it... What should the process be.... glaze polish wax ? and also what pads to use with each and how many coats ??
Old May 16, 2007, 12:24 PM

I know this is going to sound odd, but spray on some lemon pledge. The stuff actually takes away the swirls.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBWDEVIL
I know this is going to sound odd, but spray on some lemon pledge. The stuff actually takes away the swirls.
I've heard that this eats away at the clear coat also ??
Old May 16, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=222157
Old May 16, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no swirls, just the WET look

Old May 16, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use the poorboys products with a PC 7424. i like the poorboys since i don't have a garage and it's safe to use in direct sunlight.
Old May 16, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

wax and polish. after wash, make sure you use microfiber cloth and not just any type of towels or rags you can find.
Old May 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Please don't ever do that. If that removes the swirls, I don't think it's good for your paint. You have to understand swirls to understand that's not a good thing to use if it does.

Originally Posted by RyanEvo2006
I've heard that this eats away at the clear coat also ??
That's how it removes the swirls I guess...

Originally Posted by RyanEvo2006
Thats simply amazing... I currently do use the PC and like i said the one guy said to use some type of glaze on it... What should the process be.... glaze polish wax ? and also what pads to use with each and how many coats ??
Here is a chart showing what a swirl is. They are hairline scratches in the clear. You have to remove the small indentations to get rid of them.

(Thanks to http://sonus-usa.com/ for this chart)

You first need to do what many call "compounding". Using a heavier "compound" to remove the swirls. This leaves what is called "hazing". The compund isn't able break down fully and leaves little marks. These "hazing" marks are easily removed by a finishing polish. Then you throw a couple of coats of wax on 24 hours apart. And reapply atleast every 3 months to insure protecion year around.

Glazing would be considered the polishing steps if that's the term you are comfortable with...

Last edited by O3EVO; May 16, 2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 16, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

It's not removing the swirls at all. What is is doing is filling them in. The next time you wash it, they will all come back.

If you don't want so many swirls on the car, only hand wash & dry the car.

You need a POLISH any polish to remove them, if the paint is really bad, then you need a paint cleaner.

Meguires makes some good products, & they can do just about anything to any kind of paint.

If you inexperienced, get a Porter Cable D/A with some good pads, & your favorite polish, maybe a glaze & then some wax/sealent. No matter what you do, if you want all the swirls out, you need a machine & polish, nothing else will remove them, just hide them.

Yes, the Mitsubishi paint is soft, so be careful. Use the least aggressive pad & polish first.
Old May 16, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

A paint cleaner is not going to make a dent. You need an aggressive paint polish (compound) to remove them. A paint cleaner is more of a chemical cleaner. For removing minor contaminents, but more towards oxidation removal.

And let's not scare the guy. You won't be able to damage the paint with a PC. If you wanted to bad enough you can, but youwould take the better part of a day to do that...

Last edited by O3EVO; May 16, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old May 16, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by O3EVO
A paint cleaner is not going to make a dent. You need an aggressive paint polish (compound) to remove them. A paint cleaner is more of a chemical cleaner. For removing minor contaminents, but more towards oxidation removal.

And let's not scare the guy. You won't be able to damage the paint with a PC. If you wanted to bad enough you can, but youwould take the better part of a day to do that...
Cleaner & compound are the same thing. Polish is just that a polish, not a compound/cleaner. Most all new products have some chemical cleaning in them with the
abrasive media.

wash, remove dirt.
clay, to remove imbedded contaminates form the paint
clean/compound, to remove deep scratches & correct paint defects
polish, to brighten up the paint & remove any marks from the cleaner
glaze, adds oil & fillers, brings out some gloss & hides things that can't be taken out.
wax protects the paint, & the work you just did.

yes, you can damage paint with a PC. If you use a heavy cut compound, the PC can not break down the abrasives & it will put in more scratches then it takes out. There really are very few cleaners that are OK for PC use most you need a rotary.

A heavy polish with a PC will remove most spider marks & light swirls, but will not remove real scratches, just the surface stuff.

I took a few Pro level classes on this stuff, & do high end details part time.
Old May 16, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
most quality polishes(not the off the shelf pep boys ones)have abrasives in them, so i'd classify them as a cleaner/mild compound.
Old May 16, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Meguires is what you need.
Go to pep boys and buy yourself some cleaner wax...It's in a red bottle says meguires on it. Cleaner wax then use Mother's Reflections after the cleaner wax. If your surface is still alittle bumpy, rough to the touch...buy the clay bar.
If you have a polisher, buffer, some masking tape....
Use a foam pad to polish, wool pad for cutting and removing scratches and marks. If you can get it out with a foam pad it's better and less aggressive on your paint which will allow it to last longer, hopefully the life of the car.
3M also sell a 3 step that is top notch and for the serious enthusiast..

Quick Reply: Spider Web swirls in direct sunlight ...