Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

98 Mirage to Evo 6.5 TME

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the plan for the motor?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully an Evo 5 or 6 engine with the AWD conversion from such. If not, I will go with the Evo 4 and upgrade the turbo. I will have to use wheel spacers though if I go with Evo 4 axles.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Can't wait to see the results!
This reminds me of another evo conversion thread done by another member on the boards.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

I have a feeling this will turn out very nicely, keep it up!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Alright, well not much of an update since last time, but I got the city lights installed the other day. I also have a bunch of goodies coming in the mail soon.

Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

cant wait until its done!!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:00 PM

lets go nice lets this thing go hopin of doin 1 myself sumtime in the future
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Your car has to be similar to this. This was a garden fresh Lancer PERFECTLY converted into a 6.5 TME. Now if you are thinking of converting it to RHD, that would be downright crazy, because there were original LHD TMEs, aka Evo 6 TME RS.

http://www.autoindustriya.com/tuned/rides.php?id=1
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Cant wait to see the end results. My brother did a similar swap. But he did a V, here's a finished pic. He did all but the drivetrain.
Attached Thumbnails 98 Mirage to Evo 6.5 TME-brians-evo.jpg  
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
Cant wait to see the end results. My brother did a similar swap. But he did a V, here's a finished pic. He did all but the drivetrain.
Is that an Evo 6 wing you guys are using? The wing of the Evo V is different. Even for the headlights, the Evo 5 uses clear headlights (not blackened), and uses amber signal lights.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rawandbruteEVO
Your car has to be similar to this. This was a garden fresh Lancer PERFECTLY converted into a 6.5 TME. Now if you are thinking of converting it to RHD, that would be downright crazy, because there were original LHD TMEs, aka Evo 6 TME RS.

http://www.autoindustriya.com/tuned/rides.php?id=1
Wow, that guy must be incredibly lucky finding parts, or have a ton of cash lying around. The front seats alone would have set me back $2000. But essentially yes thats exactly what I am doing, except I am moving towards being a tad more unique with this project.

Here is an image I drew up (yes I drew this using pixel tracing and other methods) of what I hope to have on the road when I am finished.

EDIT: MYEVOVIII, tell your bro he did a nice job! I had considered going Evo 5 before, but several others were doing the same thing. Had to break the norm!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BCspeed34
Wow, that guy must be incredibly lucky finding parts, or have a ton of cash lying around. The front seats alone would have set me back $2000. But essentially yes thats exactly what I am doing, except I am moving towards being a tad more unique with this project.

Here is an image I drew up (yes I drew this using pixel tracing and other methods) of what I hope to have on the road when I am finished.
We have plenty of shops in Manila doing such conversions already, and they all have different sources from Japan to bring in the complete Evo parts, including seats and decals.

As for the Evo VI TMEs, the only one that had the rally stripes are the red ones. There were silver and white original LHD TMEs built but with no rally stripes, but you would be able to distinguish it by looking at its front bumper, rims, and rear decals. As for the blacks, they were only built in RHD form, aka the Evo VI TME GSR. No rally stripes also for that version.

So if you would be doing that concept you drew, you would be a first

Something I noticed, your headlights. A 6.5 TME uses clear ones with amber signal lights. I think what you got there were the latest Mirage blackened headlights.

Check out the link I gave you. The parts you would need to buy are all listed there

Another added info also. You will need to import the whole rear section of a TME and seam-weld it into your Mirage. The rear differentials and awd system may not fit on your stock Mirage. Another cheaper way is to modify your rear section by making the back seat flooring a bit higher to accomodate the AWD system, except it may be too risky when taken to the circuit, that is why we highly recommend that you import the whole rear section and seam-weld it.

The converted Evo I showed you in the link imported the whole rear section and seam welded it. AFAIK, the car is now being used in circuit trackday runs.

Last edited by rawandbruteEVO; Aug 25, 2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah the headlights I picked up are the one-piece headlights for an Evo 5 or 6. Luckily I have sources for the JDM headlights in case I wanted a pair. I am still unsure with what I want to go with in the end.

And about the rear end, I plan on just modifying mine to fit the AWD system. Several others whom I purchase parts from have done such a conversion, and I will seek their advice when the time comes. However, that is about $5000 away (a lovely Evo 5 front clip w/ built engine, rhd swap, brakes and tranny is on eBay)

Last edited by BCspeed34; Aug 25, 2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

My uncle there in the US is also doing a similar project. He called up a shop here to order the Evo 6 TME parts and have it shipped there. I called up Buschur Racing one time to find out if they can do the conversion and they said they can, including the seam-welding of the rear section.

I just dunno how much he paid for everything.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome project man!

Quick Reply: 98 Mirage to Evo 6.5 TME